Professional Web Applications Themes

[Q] Can RedHat Intel32 compiled app run directly on RedHat AMD64 ? - Linux / Unix Administration

[Q] Can RedHat Intel32 compiled app run directly on RedHat AMD64 ? RedHat kernel newbie here ... Can an application that was compiled on RedHat ( RHEL3 - 2.4 kernel ) Intel 32bit, be moved directly over to RedHat ( RHEL4 - 2.6 kernel ) AMD 64bit system ? ( i.e. via gcc, Gnat compilers ) - John H....

  1. #1

    Default [Q] Can RedHat Intel32 compiled app run directly on RedHat AMD64 ?

    [Q] Can RedHat Intel32 compiled app run directly on RedHat AMD64 ?

    RedHat kernel newbie here ...

    Can an application that was compiled on RedHat ( RHEL3 - 2.4 kernel ) Intel 32bit, be moved directly over to RedHat ( RHEL4 - 2.6 kernel ) AMD 64bit system ?

    ( i.e. via gcc, Gnat compilers )

    - John H.

    Braincramp Guest

  2. #2

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:19:16 +0000, Braincramp wrote:

    This is a definite "maybe". A portable application should just
    recompile on the new system. However, the sizes of some C items
    (read that as sizeof(int) and so on) will change. If your program
    depends heavily on casting to morf pointers into longs, for example,
    you may have some issues.

    So, this portability depends on the app, not the platform.

    Cheers
    Tommy Guest

  3. #3

    Tommy Reynolds wrote:

    > This is a definite "maybe". A portable application should just
    > recompile on the new system. However, the sizes of some C items
    > (read that as sizeof(int) and so on) will change. If your program
    > depends heavily on casting to morf pointers into longs, for example,
    > you may have some issues.
    >
    > So, this portability depends on the app, not the platform.
    >
    > Cheers[/ref]

    I think you read the question a little bit too fast. The OP did not ask
    for source code compatibility, but wanted to know if his 32 bit _binary_
    would run on a 64 bit system with a newer release.

    I don't know the answer to this question for sure. But looking into the
    release notes of RHEL4
    (http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-notes/es-amd64/)
    shows that it comes with 32 and 64bit libraries. So I would assume that
    it can execute the 32 bit binaries. But be aware that depending on the
    libraries you are using you might also run into compatibility issues, if
    your specific library version is not supported anymore and the newer
    version has a different ABI.

    I am not aware that RedHat would give any binary guarantee concerning
    executables, as commercial UNIXs sometimes do (e.g. Solaris includes the
    appcert tool to verify binary compatibility).

    Tom
    Thomas Guest

  4. #4

    In article <ds8egh$cge$lrz-muenchen.de>, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

    >> This is a definite "maybe". A portable application should just
    >> recompile on the new system. However, the sizes of some C items
    >> (read that as sizeof(int) and so on) will change. If your program
    >> depends heavily on casting to morf pointers into longs, for example,
    >> you may have some issues.
    >>
    >> So, this portability depends on the app, not the platform.
    >>
    >> Cheers[/ref]
    >
    > I think you read the question a little bit too fast. The OP did not ask
    > for source code compatibility, but wanted to know if his 32 bit _binary_
    > would run on a 64 bit system with a newer release.[/ref]

    Then why did the OP mention compilers (which you seemed to have snipped out)?

     [/ref]

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  5. #5

    Kevin Collins wrote:
    >> I think you read the question a little bit too fast. The OP did not ask
    >> for source code compatibility, but wanted to know if his 32 bit _binary_
    >> would run on a 64 bit system with a newer release.[/ref]
    >
    > Then why did the OP mention compilers (which you seemed to have snipped out)?
    >
    > [/ref][/ref]

    Simple. Because GNAT (Ada compiler) requires runtime support, as well as
    C++. If those support libraries cease to exist on the newer release, you
    won't get any binary compatibility. IMHO the OPs first sentence clearly
    states that he is interested in binary - not source compatibility.

    Tom
    Thomas Guest

  6. #6

    I was referring to the compiler type on the source 32bit machine.

    My question is - can you just copy over the binary.

    So far, it seems to be a library issue. If you have all the libraries the
    app needs, and there are no hardware caveats - it could work.

    Dicey at best ...

    Thanks all, -John

    "Kevin Collins" <com> wrote in message
    news:unix-guy.com... [/ref][/ref]
    AMD

    > > I think you read the question a little bit too fast. The OP did not ask
    > > for source code compatibility, but wanted to know if his 32 bit _binary_
    > > would run on a 64 bit system with a newer release.[/ref]
    >
    > Then why did the OP mention compilers (which you seemed to have snipped[/ref]
    out)? [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    (http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-notes/e
    s-amd64/)

    > Kevin
    >
    > --
    > Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    > Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    > http://www.unix-guy.com[/ref]

    Braincramp Guest