Professional Web Applications Themes

[Q] Saving "IMAGE File" of Partition(or Disk) of SCO_OpenServer_5 ? - SCO

Subject:[Q] Saving "IMAGE File" of Partition(or Disk) of SCO_OpenServer_5 ? Hi, Please Help! I have a Hard Disk installed SCO OpenServer Release 5 (UNIX). (Kernel Rel=3.2v5.0.5-98/07/02) (It is HDD that can boot as C-drive completely). So, I want to make the partition(or whole disk) of this SCO Hard Disk to image file with Software Tools on Microsoft Windows Operation System. (Example: Norton Ghost, TrueImage etc...???) I want to save the image to another Hard Disk(C-drive) on Microsoft Windows(Set to C-drive). (Setting the SCO OpenServer HDD as D-drive, and Microsoft Windows as C-drive...) (* NOW, I want to use this SCO ...

  1. #1

    Default [Q] Saving "IMAGE File" of Partition(or Disk) of SCO_OpenServer_5 ?

    Hi, Please Help!

    I have a Hard Disk installed SCO OpenServer Release 5 (UNIX).
    (Kernel Rel=3.2v5.0.5-98/07/02)
    (It is HDD that can boot as C-drive completely).

    So, I want to make the partition(or whole disk) of
    this SCO Hard Disk to image file with Software Tools
    on Microsoft Windows Operation System.
    (Example: Norton Ghost, TrueImage etc...???)

    I want to save the image to another Hard Disk(C-drive) on Microsoft
    Windows(Set to C-drive).
    (Setting the SCO OpenServer HDD as D-drive,
    and Microsoft Windows as C-drive...)

    (* NOW, I want to use this SCO HDD as Another Various Operating System.
    and Later, I want to RESTORE this HDD to SCO_OpenServer_5_Boot_Disk
    AGAIN!!!)

    ( Maybe this filesystem is SysV, but I don't know that exactly! )

    I know that some SW Tools can read Linux Partition or Whole Disk.

    What kind of Software Tools can read HDD Partition or Whole Disk of
    SCO OpenServer Release 5 ?????

    Please ADVISE ME about Software Tool that can save(or translate to)
    disk image!

    Help me !!!

    Thanks
    Susan W. Mitchell (October, 2003)
    Susan Guest

  2. #2

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:21:36 +0900 (KST), "Susan W. Mitchell"
    <NOT-send-SPAM.pleaseI.Hate.Spam.com> wrote:

    I regularly use Norton Ghost to make an image
    of a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 hard drive on a
    Windows PC.

    In my case, I attach the SCO drive (IDE) to
    the IDE channel on a Windows 98 PC and
    reboot the Win98 PC from a bootable Win98
    floppy containing Norton Ghost (yes, you can
    ghost from within Win98 booted from the hard
    drive but it takes three times longer to create
    the image that way - Ghost runs more efficiently
    in a non-GUI environment).

    With SCO machines that do not lend themselved to
    attaching their hard drives to a Windows box
    (laptops, for example), I'll hook up a parallel
    transfer cable between the SCO box and the
    Windows 98 box and boot both from Win98 boot
    floppies, then ghost via the LPT option (the
    source, SCO box, would be the master and the
    destination, where the image file is to be saved,
    the Win98 box, is the slave).

    Works like a champ. I've restore from the images
    many times without any problem.

    DDinAZ

    hook up a
    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:21:36 +0900 (KST), "Susan W. Mitchell"
    <NOT-send-SPAM.pleaseI.Hate.Spam.com> wrote:

    Free Solution, no need to buy any utilities.
    Assumes IDE/ATA, if your using SCSI procedure requires a different set
    of instructions, but is still possible.

    I don't know if SCO has this command or not, if not Linux does, and
    it's only a 2-3 Mb download from the slackware ftp, 2 disk images
    (bare.i & color.gz (Version 4 has a really good utility disket,
    they've dropped some utilities in newer versions.) and the RAWRITE.EXE
    utility which runs on any dos/windows based system. You use
    rawrite.exe on a dos/windows computer to make 2 disk images, Linux
    boot and root disks, you boot your sco computer off the boot disk (You
    will need to have installed the second hdd in the server allready. It
    will have to be as big or bigger than your original.)

    Run: cfdisk /dev/hda (1st hdd, hdb 2nd, etc...)
    Don't worry it won't save any changes without you specifically telling
    it to. If you just quit the changes are discarded, never written to
    disk.
    It should tell you the specifics of the sizes of your partitions.
    SCO divvy might be better, you will need the exact size of you disk in
    Sectors (512 byte) blocks, or you can read it from the label on you
    hdd.

    Once you have the size information.
    Get this exactly it is the copy procedure, don't get it backwards.
    /dev/hda is your source disk (SCO system to be copied)
    /dev/hdb is your second hdd (blank one to copy too)
    If you have more drives you will have to account for them.
    Make sure your CD rom is installed after your hdd drives.
    This assumes /dev/hda Primary Master, and /dev/hdb Primary Slave or if
    is no Primary Slave (Including CD rom), Secondary Master. CD rom comes
    later.

    Run: dd in=/dev/hda out=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=<size of hdd in sectors>

    This is for the whole disk if you want to save a single partition the
    labeling for partitions is /dev/hda1 first partition on hda, /dev/hda2
    2nd, etc...)

    Usually I use if for making boot disk images, but no reason it
    shouldn't work for a whole hdd. It just does a sector by sector copy
    of the entire thing. To increase the speed you can change the block
    size bs= from 512 to a bigger multiple of 512 such as 1024 or 131072
    (100k) just make sure you recompute your count= parameter
    appropriately. Using a floppy drive example (cause numbers are
    smaller) bs=512 count=2880 (windows will never give you this number
    you have to read the floppy boot sector to get it, but its the true
    size including sectors used for formating information)
    If bs=1024, count=1440
    If bs=2048, count=720
    If bs=4096, count=360
    Etc...

    This method require a bit more knowledge but if your comfortable with
    it, it'll work just fine. Me I like free solutions.

    I can email you the files in question, or provide a link, and if you
    provide hdd specifications, I can give more detailed instructions if
    required.

    Peter McGill

    Peter Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:22:39 GMT, com (Peter McGill)
    wrote:

    >[/ref]

    CORRECTED!
    (Sorry, I should have read the man page first, instead of posting from
    memory.)

[...]

    Run: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=<size of hdd in sectors>
    conv=notrunc