Hello everybody,

I have installed my old Advance 2941 SCSI controller and TEAC CD Burner to
my new computer. They work find under Windows, but Linux (SUSE 8.2) seems
not to recognize them.

My boot log says the following:

<6>SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
<3>kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

[...]

<6>scsi0 : AdvanSys SCSI 3.3G: PCI Ultra: IO 0xD000-0xD00F, IRQ 0xB
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset started...
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset successful.
<6>scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset started...
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset successful.
<6>scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset started...
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset successful.
<6>scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host 0 channel 0 id 2 lun 0
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset started...
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset successful.
<6>scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset started...
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset successful.
<6>scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host 0 channel 0 id 4 lun 0
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset started...
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset successful.
<6>scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host 0 channel 0 id 5 lun 0
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset started...
<4>advansys: advansys_reset: board 0: SCSI bus reset successful.
<6>scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host 0 channel 0 id 6 lun 0

in my /etc/modules.conf I found the line

alias scsi_hostadapter off

Every bus reset takes some seconds time, my CDROM does something - so I
believe the ports and interrupts have been recognized correctly. The SCSI
controller is switched to automatic termination, I have tried the SCSI
BIOS' other options as well. I am not sure about the other end of the bus,
and I remember some termination problem I solved on the old computer - but
if it works under XP, everything should be fine ?!

How can I find out more about the problem? Can I try to directly access the
CDROM drive?

Any ideas are welcome (I am a Linux newby).

Thank you in advance

Alexander