Professional Web Applications Themes

Qmail / FreeBSD / vqadmin problem - FreeBSD

Hi I am new to both FreeBSD and qmail. However, I am definitely not new to unix/linux (2 years of HP-UX and 7 years of Linux experience). I am using a pf firewall on a machine that will host a webserver as well as my mailserver. I am interested in setting up IMAP access to email for my users (do not care for POP3 access). However, I found installation instructions on qmailrocks.org and followed them to the letter (note to the author - /usr/home/vpopmail does not exist - I had to create it by hand - maybe the first shell ...

  1. #1

    Default Qmail / FreeBSD / vqadmin problem

    Hi

    I am new to both FreeBSD and qmail. However, I am definitely not new to
    unix/linux (2 years of HP-UX and 7 years of Linux experience). I am using a
    pf firewall on a machine that will host a webserver as well as my mailserver.

    I am interested in setting up IMAP access to email for my users (do not care
    for POP3 access). However, I found installation instructions on
    qmailrocks.org and followed them to the letter (note to the author
    - /usr/home/vpopmail does not exist - I had to create it by hand - maybe the
    first shell script on step 2 needs some editing ?), until I installed vqadmin
    and setup the passwd and placed .htpasswd in /usr/local/www/cgi-bin,
    restarted apache (built from ports), and tried to login through the cgi
    interface from another machine. Ports www, 8080 and https are open
    in /etc/pf.conf. But I keep getting "Waiting for <FQDN>" and never can
    authenticate with the right password.

    The question is :

    What am I possibly doing wrong ? A port that is not open, or is it some other
    problem that a FreeBSD / Qmail newbie might have missed ?

    Thanks (especially to the author who has created nearly idiot-proof
    installation instructions (so far) ).
    Madhusudan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Qmail / FreeBSD / vqadmin problem

    On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 00:12 -0500, Madhusudan Singh wrote:

    A couple of possibilities.

    The default installation of vpopmail puts the vpopmail directory
    in /usr/local and if you want to use /usr/home you have to supply the
    correct argument to vpopmail when you build it.

    [...]
    # User-configurable variables
    #
    # Define these to change from the default behaviour
    #
    [...]
    # PREFIX - installation area for vpopmail (see comment below)
    [...]
    # Uncomment this, or set PREFIX to /home if you have an existing
    # vpopmail install with the vpopmail users' home directory set to
    # /home/vpopmail - package rules dictate we default
    to /usr/local/vpopmail
    #
    #PREFIX?= /home

    Note that this will, in my experience, create some odd directory trees
    in /usr/home (such as /usr/home/lib and /usr/home/libexec) which can
    safely be deleted subsequently. I don't use vqadmin, but this would need
    to know where to find the vpopmail binaries, and I can't see any make
    options that might define this, so that might be a major stumbling
    block. A possible cause of the behaviour you report would be that
    vqadmin is trying to run vpopmail binaries with inappropriate paths, or
    to read directory structures in the wrong place.

    One workaround, if your real vpopmail directory is in /usr/local and you
    do need it to be in /usr/home is to symlink /usr/local/vpopmail
    to /usr/home/vpopmail.

    Incidentally, the FreeBSD installation of qmail recommends
    using /var/service and much of the qmail doentation assumes the
    existence of /service. My own approach to this is to use /var/service
    but then symlink it to /service so that anything that assumes the
    existence of this directory will work.

    However, neither vpopmail not vqadmin would give you an imap server, and
    you don't say whether you have installed one separately. You do need to
    and a commonly used option in this case would be courier-imap because
    it's written by the same folk who brought us vpopmail, and integrates
    well with this and qmail. It isn't the only choice, of course, and
    you're generally best advised to use something you're familiar with.

    It's generally best to use default installation locations with ports,
    especially when you're installing a few that will work with each other.

    Then, before testing a cgi interface like vqadmin, make sure everything
    works. Test qmail, (telnet) test imap, test vpopmail with a domain and a
    user or two on the command line. If these things aren't working
    properly, then vqadmin won't either.

    www.lifewithqmail.org is probably the most authoritative site to use as
    a reference, together with inter7's website and http://cr.yp.to for some
    perhaps slightly terse but very good initial docs.

    If you need more help, maybe say whether you have installed an imap
    server, and whether the underlying technologies - qmail, vpopmail, imap
    - are working.

    Peter.

    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    On Thursday 10 March 2005 05:57, Peter Risdon wrote:

> [...]

    > well with this and qmail. It isn't the only choice, of course, and
    > you're generally best advised to use something you're familiar with.

    > It's generally best to use default installation locations with ports,
    > especially when you're installing a few that will work with each other.
    >
    > Then, before testing a cgi interface like vqadmin, make sure everything
    > works. Test qmail, (telnet) test imap, test vpopmail with a domain and a
    > user or two on the command line. If these things aren't working
    > properly, then vqadmin won't either.
    >
    > www.lifewithqmail.org is probably the most authoritative site to use as
    > a reference, together with inter7's website and http://cr.yp.to for some
    > perhaps slightly terse but very good initial docs.
    >
    > If you need more help, maybe say whether you have installed an imap
    > server, and whether the underlying technologies - qmail, vpopmail, imap

    Thanks for your informative response. I apologize if I did not stress this
    point enough in my initial email. I was following instructions on
    freebsd.qmailrocks.org to the *letter* and building from source as is
    strongly recommended there.

    The install is currently in an interrupted state. Setting up IMAP *would have
    been* one of the next steps.

    I am right now at the following step :

    http://freebsd.qmailrocks.org/vqadmin.htm

    For an overview of the entire installation, please see :

    http://freebsd.qmailrocks.org/install.htm
    Madhusudan Guest

  4. #4

    Hi

    Thanks once again for your message.

    I followed directions at the following website :

    http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/mailserver/qmail+vpopmail+qmailadmin.php

    There was one strange comment on this page :

    "Note: the binc-imap configuration is not complete enough to work. It will
    be complete tomorrow."

    I wonder what does it really mean.

    Anyways, the entire procedure of installing from ports went through. Now, I
    wish to configure things so that only SSL access to smtp and the binc-imap
    server is permitted.

    Do I need to do some qmail side configuration for this or is just a matter
    of opening only selected ports (which ports ? 995 and imaps ?) ?

    Thanks for the lifewithqmail link. I have printed out the pdf version and will
    shortly go through it.

    MS

    Madhusudan Guest