It sounds as though you are using one file (table), and you want all this
activity to take place within the one file. You don't say where (what field)
you want to put the largest pounds value 'back into the original record that
the user is viewing'; let's say it goes into a field called 'Big'.

Create a self-join (a relationship between fields within the same file)
relationship ('Ex') using Exercise as the key on both sides. Now you can
create a script:

Exit Record/Request [<---commits the pullldown choice]
Set Field["Big", "Max(Ex::Pounds"]

The Aggregate functions are very close to their counterparts in SQL,
although FMP currently has no Floor(), Ceiling() functions.

--
John Weinshel
Datagrace