Professional Web Applications Themes

Quest Airport and card.... - Mac Networking

Hi all I was hoping someone out there with more knowledge of the Airport and the Airport Card could answer some questions for me. I have an iBook 500mhz running with MacOS 9,2. I also have a Cisco DSL modem (router) that I use to connect to the Internet. Just wondering if I can plug that into the Airport and then take my iBook into another room in the house and surf the Internet or read my email? Was told by someone that the Airport needed to plugged into a computer for it to work. Also can I use another ...

  1. #1

    Default Quest Airport and card....

    Hi all

    I was hoping someone out there with more knowledge of the Airport and
    the Airport Card could answer some questions for me.

    I have an iBook 500mhz running with MacOS 9,2. I also have a Cisco DSL
    modem (router) that I use to connect to the Internet. Just wondering
    if I can plug that into the Airport and then take my iBook into
    another room in the house and surf the Internet or read my email? Was
    told by someone that the Airport needed to plugged into a computer for
    it to work.

    Also can I use another brand of wireless router with the Airport? Just
    wondering, as they seem to run a little less money. If so which
    brands/models should I look at or for that matter stay away from? I am
    not looking for the cheapest item out there, but rather the best value
    on the low end of the price scale.

    Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
    J. Johnston
    Joyce Johnston Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Quest Airport and card....

    In article <7ce6d695.0308161855.6cc57298posting.google.com >,
    [email]jjohntrib.com[/email] (Joyce Johnston) wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I was hoping someone out there with more knowledge of the Airport and
    > the Airport Card could answer some questions for me.
    >
    > I have an iBook 500mhz running with MacOS 9,2. I also have a Cisco DSL
    > modem (router) that I use to connect to the Internet. Just wondering
    > if I can plug that into the Airport and then take my iBook into
    > another room in the house and surf the Internet or read my email? Was
    > told by someone that the Airport needed to plugged into a computer for
    > it to work.

    You should be able to do this without difficulty. I'm currently
    connected via SBC DSL (speedstream DSL modem) running to my AirPort BS.
    > Also can I use another brand of wireless router with the Airport?
    Yes but why do you want two wireless routers? There are good reasons why
    you might want one but more specific information may help someone here
    give a recommendation should it come to that.

    later.

    --
    johajohn AT indianahoosiers DOT edu

    Remove the non place-name reply. Indiana is a place-name.
    John Johnson Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    In article <7ce6d695.0308161855.6cc57298posting.google.com >,
    [email]jjohntrib.com[/email] (Joyce Johnston) wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I was hoping someone out there with more knowledge of the Airport and
    > the Airport Card could answer some questions for me.
    >
    > I have an iBook 500mhz running with MacOS 9,2. I also have a Cisco DSL
    > modem (router) that I use to connect to the Internet. Just wondering
    > if I can plug that into the Airport and then take my iBook into
    > another room in the house and surf the Internet or read my email? Was
    > told by someone that the Airport needed to plugged into a computer for
    > it to work.
    >
    > Also can I use another brand of wireless router with the Airport? Just
    > wondering, as they seem to run a little less money. If so which
    > brands/models should I look at or for that matter stay away from? I am
    > not looking for the cheapest item out there, but rather the best value
    > on the low end of the price scale.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
    > J. Johnston
    I am NOT an Airport expert or Guru. However:

    I am running standard (not extreme) Airport with a 700MHz iBook. The
    connection is from my cable modem to the Airport Base Station via Cat5
    cable Then from the Airport Base Station to a LinkSys switch. Plugged
    into the switch connectors is my G4 and my network printer, an HP 2200DN
    Postscript printer. The iBook has an Airport card.

    When the G4 is 'up' (running) I can share files. But the Airport Base
    Station keeps constantly connected to the net (it has no pwr switch),
    which I can access from the iBook whether or not the G4 is running. If
    the printer is 'on' I can use it from the iBook regardless of the state
    of the G4. It took me about ten minutes to 'read the manual' and get it
    running.

    My Airport Base Stn DOES NOT need to be plugged into a computer to work.

    I have now told you "all I know' about Airport. Mine works easily and
    well.

    Good luck.

    --
    Rod Smith
    Florida Panhandle

  6. #6

  7. #7

    In article <7ce6d695.0308161855.6cc57298posting.google.com >,
    [email]jjohntrib.com[/email] (Joyce Johnston) wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I was hoping someone out there with more knowledge of the Airport and
    > the Airport Card could answer some questions for me.
    >
    > I have an iBook 500mhz running with MacOS 9,2. I also have a Cisco DSL
    > modem (router) that I use to connect to the Internet. Just wondering
    > if I can plug that into the Airport and then take my iBook into
    > another room in the house and surf the Internet or read my email? Was
    > told by someone that the Airport needed to plugged into a computer for
    > it to work.
    I have Verizon DSL. The DSL modem is plugged into a D-Link Cable/DSL
    Router, that interaces to Verizon using PPPoE protocol for
    authentication. Attached to the D-Link is my original Airport Base
    Station (graphite).

    My wife and I roam all over the house with our laptops.

    I could have connected my original Airport base station to the DSL
    Modem, however, it only has a single eithernet port and I wanted to have
    an isolated home ethernet network. The Snow Airport base station and
    the Extreme Airport base station both have 2 ethernet ports so that you
    can have one connected to the DSL modem and the other connected to your
    home network with the Airport base station acting as both a router and a
    NAT server to isolate your home network from the DSL and so that you can
    share the single IP address provided by your DSL provider.
    > Also can I use another brand of wireless router with the Airport? Just
    > wondering, as they seem to run a little less money. If so which
    > brands/models should I look at or for that matter stay away from? I am
    > not looking for the cheapest item out there, but rather the best value
    > on the low end of the price scale.
    Yes you can use another 802.11 base station (aka WiFi). Since you have
    a 500MHz iBook, I'm guessing you have the 802.11b style Airport card
    (what I have). The Airport Extreme is officially called 802.11g.
    Currently Apple does not make an Airport Extreme card for the iBooks, so
    you can get a 3rd party 802.11b router which will be less expensive.

    But before I go on, I will say that the Apple Airport base stations are
    a lot easier to setup than most 3rd party 802.11b WiFi access points.

    You should be able to use just about anyone's 802.11b DSL/Cable modem
    router to both connect to your DSL modem and provide NAT services and
    routing to multiple Macs (or other systems) in your home.

    Things to keep in mind.

    You will have to configure the 3rd party device using a web browser. If
    you set up WEP (Web Equivalent Protection), and you should, you need to
    enter the password in hexidecimal on the 802.11b server and enter the
    same hex password on your Mac preceeded by a dollar sign. This is
    because most 3rd party 802.11b servers use the Microsoft password
    encoding and not Apple's. The hexidecimal values is the result of the
    encoding and can be used by any system, which is why you need to start
    with hex and stay with hex.

    You should also set up the 802.11b server to restrict connections to
    systems with the xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx ethernet MAC addresses that you
    enter. Between restricting access to registered MAC addresses and WEB
    your network should be moderately secure.

    And if you want you can have multiple 802.11b base stations to give you
    broader coverage around your house, you can use a D-Link repeater or if
    you can run ethernet cable to another part of the house, then you set up
    the 2nd access point using the identical configuration as the first
    (same WEB password and same list of restricted MAC address, plus include
    the MAC addresses of the other access point (both its ethernet MAC
    address and its 802.11b MAC address)), but put the 2nd access point on a
    different channel. Then you should be able to roam around and when the
    signal is too weak for the first access point, the iBook should switch
    to the 2nd access point.

    But only do this if you are having coverage problems and then I
    recommend the D-Link repeater as it will be easier to get setup and you
    don't need to run cables.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Harris Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    > Yes but why do you want two wireless routers? There are good reasons why you might want one but more specific information may help someone here give a recommendation should it come to that.later.

    I guess I should have said Airport Card.

    J. Johnston
    Joyce Johnston Guest

  10. #10