Professional Web Applications Themes

Question - FreeBSD

Hi, My Name is Jonathan Farrugia and In Just Downloaded FreeBSD v5.3 from the following server: "ftp://ftp2.ru.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/5.3/" and i downloaded disc1 and disc2, and then i got confused cause the name of disc1 was "fbsd_miniinst" and the name of disc2 was "fbsd_livefs". can you explain me what to insert first to install the FreeBSD operating system on an unpartitioned harddisk and what the other is for. thank you. Best Regards, Jonathan Farrugia. __________________________________________________ _______________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/...

  1. #1

    Default Question

    Hi, My Name is Jonathan Farrugia and In Just Downloaded FreeBSD v5.3 from
    the following server:
    "ftp://ftp2.ru.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/5.3/" and i
    downloaded disc1 and disc2,
    and then i got confused cause the name of disc1 was "fbsd_miniinst" and the
    name of disc2 was "fbsd_livefs". can you explain me what to insert first to
    install the FreeBSD operating system on an unpartitioned harddisk and what
    the other is for. thank you.

    Best Regards,
    Jonathan Farrugia.

    Jonathan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question

    Actually, I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this either. What is
    CD2 for? I've never had occasion to use it.
    Jonathan Farrugia wrote:

    Hi, My Name is Jonathan Farrugia and In Just Downloaded FreeBSD
    v5.3 from the following server:
    [1]"ftp://ftp2.ru.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/5.3/"
    and i downloaded disc1 and disc2,
    and then i got confused cause the name of disc1 was "fbsd_miniinst"
    and the name of disc2 was "fbsd_livefs". can you explain me what to
    insert first to install the FreeBSD operating system on an
    unpartitioned harddisk and what the other is for. thank you.
    Best Regards,
    Jonathan Farrugia.
    [5]"org"

    References

    1. ftp://ftp2.ru.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/5.3/
    2. http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
    3. mailto:org
    4. http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
    5. mailto:org
    Bnonn Guest

  3. #3

    Bnonn wrote:

    Think of CD #2 (LiveFS) as a means of a rescue disk. You boot into the
    livefs, then you can mount your FBSD system and repair it etc.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    A stagnant science is at a standstill.
    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    To whom it may concern,
    I tried installing freeBSD, but I think I might have ruined the
    installation, because now when I try booting up my computer it says
    something like -

    Invalid Partition
    Invalid Partition
    No /boot/loader

    FreeBSD/i386 boot
    Default 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
    boot:
    Invalid Partition
    No /kernel

    FreeBSD/i386 boot
    boot:

    What should I do to fix this?
    Ryan Guest

  5. #5

    Reinstall from scratch using cd install disk.
    Keep trying until you get it correct.
    That's how you learn FreeBSD.

    Follow instructions from this url
    http://freebsd.easyasthat.co.uk/

    I tried installing freeBSD, but I think I might have ruined the
    installation, because now when I try booting up my computer it says
    something like -

    Invalid Partition
    Invalid Partition
    No /boot/loader

    FreeBSD/i386 boot
    boot:
    Invalid Partition
    No /kernel

    FreeBSD/i386 boot
    boot:

    What should I do to fix this?
    "org"

    fbsd_user Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:30:13 -0500
    "fbsd_user" <com> wrote:

    Is there something wrong with the installation instructions at:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

    I keep seeing you recommend that site (yours?) as the instructions to
    follow. If there's something lacking in the official instructions,
    wouldn't it be better to update those so they get a proper peer
    review?

    Best regards,

    Randy

    --
    Randy Guest

  7. #7

    Randy Pratt wrote:
    the
    lacking

    Don't know if I'm out of topic here, but

    2.12 Advanced Installation Guide

    seems to be out-of-date for 5.X install.

    Also, nobody seems to know how to create 5.X
    install floppies for headless machines.
    When I asked for it, all I got were the 4.X solutions,
    which, I think, do not work for 5.X.

    Rob.

    http://smallbusiness./resources/
    Rob Guest

  8. #8

    On 2005-04-03 00:11, Randy Pratt <net> wrote:

    > Is there something wrong with the installation instructions at:
    >
    > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html
    >
    > I keep seeing you recommend that site (yours?) as the instructions to
    > follow.[/ref]

    It's ok. There may be very good bits there (I haven't had a chance to
    read the entire doent yet), so it's not very bad to suggest using it.

    If there are parts that we could include in the official FreeBSD doc/
    tree, that would be great too.

    So, if anyone has used the aforementioned guide and found parts that are
    not covered by the official docs, please mail either me directly or the
    freebsd-doc list.

    Agreed. Updating the official doentation, where it lacks, seems like
    a good thing.

    - Giorgos

    Giorgos Guest

  9. #9

    YES there is something major wrong with the official handbook. The
    majority of the content is written like the reader already has good
    understanding of how FreeBSD works. It is not detailed enough for
    someone who has no previous experience with Unix like operating
    systems.

    The referenced Install guide gives clear step by step instructions.
    It only uses the sysinstall process to lay down the default
    operating system from cdrom. Then step by step instruction on which
    /etc conf files need to be edited and with what data needs to be
    added and why. It completes side steps the many un-doented
    sysinstall options as functions only necessary for advanced users.

    If you were current on the content of the handbook you will see that
    the handbooks complete section on firewalls has been replaced with
    the complete firewall section from the Install guide we are talking
    about.

    AND if you had accessed the Install guide you would have see that it
    is available to everyone for download and viewing on their own PC.
    It is public domain and the FreeBSD-Doc group can incorporate it
    into the handbook or make it a separate install guide for beginners.

    The FreeBSD Install Guide is mirrored at the following sites.

    http://freebsd.easyasthat.co.uk/
    http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/fbsd_installguide/index.php
    http://freebsd.packards-home.net/index.php
    www.a1poweruser.com
    http://freebsdinfo.org/
    http://freebsd.a1poweruser.com:6088/
    http://freebsd.95mb.com/

    On 2005-04-03 00:11, Randy Pratt <net> wrote: [/ref]
    you

    > Is there something wrong with the installation instructions at:
    >
    >[/ref]
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.ht
    ml

    It's ok. There may be very good bits there (I haven't had a chance
    read the entire doent yet), so it's not very bad to suggest using
    it.

    If there are parts that we could include in the official FreeBSD
    doc/
    tree, that would be great too.

    So, if anyone has used the aforementioned guide and found parts that
    are
    not covered by the official docs, please mail either me directly or
    the
    freebsd-doc list.

    wouldn't it

    Agreed. Updating the official doentation, where it lacks, seems
    like
    a good thing.

    - Giorgos

    "org"

    Guest

  10. #10

    Default Re: New Freebsd Install Guide Available

    If you ask the wrong questions, you get answers like "42" and "God".

    Christopher Guest

  11. #11

    On 2005-04-03 14:50, com wrote:

    You're probably right. The people who write doentation are usually
    seasoned FreeBSD hackers, and what you say is often true. If you do
    have more specific suggestiongs, like:

    ``In chapter 2, section 3, the installation guide mentions
    partitions without an explanation of what a partition is.
    We could probably add this paragraph here

    [ Insert small paragraph of plain text or SGML ]

    and it would all look a lot better.''

    I would be glad to see your posts in freebsd-doc or as problem reports
    submitted in Gnats. Since I *did* ask explicitly, you can definitely
    Cc: me too and keep bugging me until I commit the changes :-)

    I will definitely give it a look. I have already started reading it,
    but didn't get a chance to finish it tonight, due to other more urgent
    stuff.

    For a specific configuration, as far as I have seen. The Handbook
    should be more general. But we'll get a chance to discuss this once I
    finish reading the guide.

    I _am_ current on the firewall chapter. I also dislike some parts of
    it, but that's a different story.

    You may recall that I was the first who was opposed to the commit of
    this new section back when it was committed in Sep 2004, because I
    consider it lacking too much in the areas of completeness, correctness,
    and style of writing.

    My personal opinion doesn't matter though, since others have picked up
    the ball and fixed a zillion things. I am very grateful to people like
    Marc Fonvieille, Simon Nielsen, Tom Rhodes, Joehl Dahl, Brad Davis and
    others who have stepped up and worked on the "new" firewall chapter.

    Please note that I have accessed the guide. I've already read a part of
    it, and making already progress towards having read it all.

    My offer to commit changes to the Handbook that incorporate stuff from
    your guide still stands, so apart from saying "my guide is better and
    holier than yours" you're always welcome to submit diffs and/or plain
    text changes for the Handbook chapter that explains the installation
    process. :-)

    Regards,
    Giorgos

    Giorgos Guest