Professional Web Applications Themes

Question. - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Just a question, relating a little to Mikk's post about databases. I have recently been offered a project which is going to be quite large (in the amount of information on the site). I have only been used to creating small site's for small companies. No need for a lot of programming, the focus was always on design. The problem is that the way I am used to creating sites will take forever to make this one. Im just wondering what some of you who are used to dealing with bigger sites do? Surely you dont create each individual page ...

  1. #1

    Default Question.

    Just a question, relating a little to Mikk's post about databases.

    I have recently been offered a project which is going to be quite large (in
    the amount of information on the site). I have only been used to creating
    small site's for small companies. No need for a lot of programming, the
    focus was always on design.
    The problem is that the way I am used to creating sites will take forever to
    make this one. Im just wondering what some of you who are used to dealing
    with bigger sites do? Surely you dont create each individual page in
    dreamweaver, setting all the text + images + styles in every page...etc. Do
    you use for instance, databases full of the information, + link it all to
    your pages with set styles.

    Maybe i am just slow...

    JcD Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question.

    Use a database... it makes life easy.... you just need to design various
    templates...

    Steve
    www.fx-digital.com

    "JcD" <com> wrote in message
    (in
    Do

    FX Guest

  3. #3

    Databases are the way to go for sure, you can pull all your info and
    images into the same page, the user clicks a link which refers to a
    record in the database and that records contents are loaded into the page.

    That might be a little simplistic but that is the general idea, if you
    needed to create 100 pages you could just create the one page and
    populate it with the required data.

    --
    Cheers jojo
    Team Macromedia Member Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX

    jojo Guest

  4. #4

    > Databases are the way to go for sure, you can pull all your info and

    Thanks.

    I thought that was probably the way to go. Can any1 point me in the right
    direction as i have never dealt with databases before. Is MS Access ok to
    use? I know how to make the database itself, but not how to integrate it
    with a website.

    Also, do you lose out majorly on design if you have database content loading
    in? + what about images? Are they loaded into the page or do you have to
    insert them manually?
    This is completely new to me so i dont have a clue...

    Thanks again!

    JcD Guest

  5. #5

    Hi

    If you have a look at the webade link in my sig you can access an admin
    demo, this a cf cms.

    Access is fine for smaller sites, it is best to store the path to the
    image in the database rather then the image itself.