Professional Web Applications Themes

Question about color match monitor/printout and Color space - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am using a Minolta F200 camera; the EXIF data show :color space - sRGB; I am using a Laptop (Toshiba Satellite), so not much possibilties for monitor calibration (except the S3 Gamma utility); I have my edited pictures printed by a print service (they use a Fujilab equipment/paper); the color match between monitor and the printouts is acceptable but not perfect, so i try to get it better. Question 1: Monitor: Should i add the sRGB monitor profile from Adobe under color management? Questions 2: PSE: I work without color management according to my favourite PSE book "PSE Solutions".Should ...

  1. #1

    Default Question about color match monitor/printout and Color space

    I am using a Minolta F200 camera; the EXIF data show :color space - sRGB;
    I am using a Laptop (Toshiba Satellite), so not much possibilties for monitor calibration (except the S3 Gamma utility);
    I have my edited pictures printed by a print service (they use a Fujilab equipment/paper); the color match between monitor and the printouts is acceptable but not perfect, so i try to get it better.

    Question 1: Monitor: Should i add the sRGB monitor profile from Adobe under color management?
    Questions 2: PSE: I work without color management according to my favourite PSE book "PSE Solutions".Should i use limited color management instead?
    Do you have other tips to get a closer color match with my (i admit very basic) equipment?

    Many thanks for advice, Ed
    Ed Maurer Guest

  2. #2

    Nancy,

    many thanks for your reply!

    - Your question about coloring: the images on the screen appear "colder" than the prints; the prints look more pleasing, and the colors on the screen looked more similar if i used the S3Gamma utility and took down the blue slider a little bit; i am planning to send one of the printer calibration pictures to my print service and try to adapt the screen visually as good as possible just visually.
    And i will ask my lab about their preferences regarding color space.

    - About sRgb: thanks for your remark, i was thinking the same, but did not know for sure.

    - And thanks for your last tip! I will experiment with Hue/Sat adjustment layers and see if that works!

    Ed
    Ed Maurer Guest

  3. #3

    Nancy,

    many thanks for your reply!

    - Your question about coloring: the images on the screen appear "colder" than the prints; the prints look more pleasing, and the colors on the screen looked more similar if i used the S3Gamma utility and took down the blue slider a little bit; i am planning to send one of the printer calibration pictures to my print service and try to adapt the screen as good as possible just visually.

  4. #4

    Ed,
    I'm using a Toshiba Satellite as well, about a yr old or so. I ran the Adobe gamma process, which was pretty good. Then afterwards I went to the display properties under the advanced tab and there you should see a color management tab. I've got mine set to Adobe RGB1988. Also, I have things set to "full color management" (best for prints), and finally I have the print preview set to printer driver (epson 1280) color management. What I see on the screen is darn near 100% of what comes out of the printer. I've played with this for hours on end, and it's as close as I can get it...quite pleased!
    -Dan
    Prov Guest

  5. #5

    Prov, well, you are using an EPSON afterall ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  6. #6

    Many thanks for your suggestions and excuse my late answer (could not reach the forum for the last 3 days)!

    I spoke with my Color lab and they told me their Fuji system works with sRgb Color space; they could not tell me for sure if their printer uses the EXIF tag routinely; they gave me a calibration tool(called DQ tool) containing test files for the monitor and a test print; now i tried to adjust my monitor visually as good as possible with the Gamma utility of the graphic adapter and used quite a lot of time on this, and to make it short i could get it much better, but not perfect. Basically i had to take down the "Blue" slider for 0.20 to 0,30 compared to red/green to get acceptable results. Especially (as Susan mentioned) the deep reds and blues of the test print are impossible to match on the monitor. It is quite acceptable for me now, considering the limited possibilities of my laptop screen (only gamma adjustment, no brightness/contrast adjustment).

    - I could not see any observable difference using a sRGB or the AdobeRGB1988 profile in the color management tab of the diplay adapter and using no vs limited color management in PSE; i did not try it with the "ignore Exif" up to now.

    - Dan, before that i tried to use the AdobeGamma and some other similar calibration tools and too, but did not know what to put in under "phoshorous" and despite using quite a lot of time i could not get the results i wanted; up to now i do not have a good photo printer so have to use a photo lab.

    After reading the numerous posts in this forum i learned that if i want to have it perfect it is better to use a good CRT, and calibrate the monitor with a colorimeter, but i like the mobility of the laptop and i am not a professional...

    -Ed
    Ed Maurer Guest

  7. #7

    Ed - without the ignore EXIF utility installed, you will see no difference in the colour whether or not you use colour management as the image is effectively tagged sRGB, and this will be respected by Elements. With ignore EXIF installed then you should see a difference in image colour depending on whether colour management is on or off. If the colour from your camera looks OK in sRGB then that's fine - to my eyes my G3 images appeared oversaturated and slightly shifted to red, compared with the way that I see the world, so I prefer it without the sRGB tag and use no colour management. YMMV!
    Susan S. Guest