Professional Web Applications Themes

Question About Global Village Modem - Mac Networking

To begin with, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for asking this question. I suspect many of you will find the technical problem to be kind of trivial since thethreads in this newsgroup seem to be more abstract. However, I've looked around and this seems to be the best place to get my question answered. I'm running a Power Mac 5400/120 (an old student model) with a Global Village teleport 56K modem which I've had for years. Recently, an odd thing keeps happening. When I dial up, I can stay online for approximately 15 minutes (sometimes less) ...

  1. #1

    Default Question About Global Village Modem

    To begin with, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for asking this
    question. I suspect many of you will find the technical problem to be
    kind of trivial since thethreads in this newsgroup seem to be more
    abstract. However, I've looked around and this seems to be the best
    place to get my question answered.

    I'm running a Power Mac 5400/120 (an old student model) with a Global
    Village teleport 56K modem which I've had for years. Recently, an odd
    thing keeps happening. When I dial up, I can stay online for
    approximately 15 minutes (sometimes less) before I get disconnected.

    I don't think it's the phone line since it's almost always fifteen
    minutes.

    I don't think it's the software since I've run techtool and also
    reinstalled the system software.

    I don't think it's the ISP since I called them and they claim
    everything is working fine.

    This leads me to believe it's the modem. But before investing $80 in
    a new modem, I'd like to know for sure. Is there any way of finding
    out? Also, if I have to get a new (or a used but new to me) modem, is
    it possible to get an internal modem for that model of Macintosh? It
    doesn't appear to me that it is from browsing the net. Might there
    have once been an internal modem for this model (which I'd hope to buy
    used since I don't have a lot of desk space to spare even for the
    external modem I now have)? There's a communications slot so I
    presume modems were made for it. But that could be an incorrect
    presumption.

    Finally, if this newsgroup is not the place to address these questions
    (1) I'm sorry for wasting your time and (2) could you tell me where I
    could get these questions answered?

    Thank you for your consideration and patience.
    harryted Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question About Global Village Modem

    It sounds like one of two possibilities:

    1) Your ISP is overcommitted and kicking off customers who are idle for very
    long to allow for new logons. This means they aren't lying when they say
    "everything is working fine". It would seem likely because if the 15 minute
    limit.

    2) Your dialup line has acquired some noise, possibly from water, corrosion
    or proximity to AC wires. Often people may rearrange wires and leave AC
    lines and phone lines running parallel, this can cause inductive noise in
    the phone line and cause slow speed or signal loss.
    You didn't say what OS you are running or what speed you are hitting.

    If you are using the external modem you can pick them up for free from used
    shops or a MUG member. An internal modem will probably run you $50 on eBay.
    It would probably plug into the CommSlot pictured here:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~gnarlodious/CommSlot2.jpg

    The modem card would look like this:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~gnarlodious/GVModem.jpg

    Unfortunately the Global Village CS modem is scarce and costly.

    Hope that answers some questions.

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html

    Entity harryted spoke thus:

    Gnarlodious Guest

  3. #3

    harryted <com> wrote:

    If I had a dime for every time an ISP claimed everything was working
    fine... Anyways, the modem could be overheating if enough dust has
    worked its way inside. Or if the power supply is getting a bit off
    due to age, that could explain dropping out after about the same time
    in operation. Or the ISP could have changed their modem pool to V.92
    or changed the modem settings...

    There were Comm Slot II modems for the 5400, but the fastest I am
    aware of were 33.6. I only know of ones from Global Village and ones
    that Apple installed as an option.

    This is one of the right places to ask, but not too many modem type
    inquiries have been made here recently. Some persons more knowledgable
    than I used to read and respond here, hopefully some still are hanging
    around. There is a newsgroup about modems in general under the
    comp.dcom hierarchy, you might get some useful trouble shooting tips
    from a post there.

    Joe Heimann

    Joe Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for your replies.

    If I understand correctly:

    1) I can get an internal modem for my mac, but it would be used and
    only run at 33.6K

    2) There are several possible reasons my modem cuts out:
    a) MY ISP is kicking me off due to increased total traffic
    (possible but
    doubtful because it happens even at 2 or 3 am when there aren't
    many
    people online)
    b) Noise from other electrical wires getting onto my phone line
    c) MY ISP has changed its settings for newer modems (V. 92)
    d) Dust or age causes the modem to overheat

    So, since I don't want to sacrifice the speed of a 56K modem, that
    leaves me either getting a new modem, fixing the old one (i.e.,
    cleaning the dust out), or getting a noise filter.

    I think I'll try using compressed air to clean out the modem first.
    If that doesn't work, I'll get the new (V. 92) modem. Then, I'll try
    the noise filter since that seems to be the most technically difficult
    remedy.

    Thanks again for your time and advice.

    Harryted
    harryted Guest