Professional Web Applications Themes

Question about hosting a website on a Mac or Linux platform - Mac Applications & Software

I'm planning on putting together a website and will be looking for a company to host it. I had an earlier site hosted by a company that used a Linux server. I was happy with the price ($25 per month) but never felt I took full advantage of what it had to offer (especially in terms of multiple e-mail accounts and subdomains) because I only know the very basics of Linux. My major mode of operation with the old site was to compose the page on my Mac and ftp it over to the hosting server. One nice feature, however, ...

  1. #1

    Default Question about hosting a website on a Mac or Linux platform

    I'm planning on putting together a website and will be looking for a
    company to host it. I had an earlier site hosted by a company that used
    a Linux server. I was happy with the price ($25 per month) but never
    felt I took full advantage of what it had to offer (especially in terms
    of multiple e-mail accounts and subdomains) because I only know the very
    basics of Linux.

    My major mode of operation with the old site was to compose the page on
    my Mac and ftp it over to the hosting server. One nice feature,
    however, was that I used a public domain software called Discus for
    running a discussion board. It runs on Linux, and maybe on NT (not sure
    about that). I am quite certain it does not run on the Mac platform.

    Would be easier for me if my upcoming site were hosted on a Mac server,
    and are there any companies that do this? Or should I just go back to
    the Linux based company? (I would not be able to host the site on any
    of my own computers).
    Randall Guest

  2. #2

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 0:32:23 -0400, Randall Plant wrote
    (in message <supernews.com>):

    Discus is not public domain software. They have a free version, but it's
    not public domain. 'Public Domain' means that you can take it and do
    with it whatever you feel like, even sell it.

    It's written in perl. If you're using OS X, then you'll have no problem
    running it on your own machine. If you're running OS 9 then it probably
    won't run, especially that you can't run Apache on OS 9.

    I'm sure that there are companies that run Mac OS X servers, I just
    don't know any. I run my own website on a linux box now, my development
    is done on OS X, and the next server box that I'm getting will be one of
    the G5 Xserve boxes as soon as they're available with an Xserve RAID
    (No, I don't have any advanced knowledge of G5 Xserves, but it's almost
    a sure thing that Apple will release those within the next 6-9 months).

    The beauty of OS X is that it's a Unix, which means it runs exactly the
    same software that runs on those linux boxes. So it won't make a
    difference to you if your hosting ISP is running OS X or linux, they are
    most likely running the same set of software (Apache, perl, php, MySQL,
    postgreSQL).

    --
    J Brady

    Jonathan Guest

  3. #3

    In article <on.sympatico.ca>,
    Jonathan Brady <myfmail.com> wrote:

    That's right about Discus. My terminology was wrong; it isn't public
    domain. They have a version that can be used at no cost, and then
    another version with more features that must be bought

    My previous web hosting company used Apache. But I was wondering if
    there is some way to do various hosting functions, like managing e-mail
    accounts or setting up subdomains in a more "user-friendly" fashion than
    Linux.

    RP
    Randall Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 2:15:57 -0400, Randall Plant wrote
    (in message <supernews.com>):

    There may be. Depending on what interface your hosting company uses to
    provide you with those services. Honestly, I haven't use an OS X server
    yet, so I don't know if the GUI managment tools can be given access to.

    Somehow, I don't think that your ISP's use of Linux or OS X as server
    software would make much difference.

    --
    J Brady

    Jonathan Guest

  5. #5

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Randall Plant <gci.net> wrote:

    > My previous web hosting company used Apache. But I was wondering if
    > there is some way to do various hosting functions, like managing e-mail
    > accounts or setting up subdomains in a more "user-friendly" fashion than
    > Linux.[/ref]

    It's pretty common for hosting companies to offer a web interface to
    managing this kind of thing, which simplifies it a great deal. With
    that, it hardly matters what OS they're running. At least from a
    complexity point of view-- I'd still insist on some form of Unix or
    Linux, and avoid Windows-based hosts. I've been using www.pair.com for
    about a year now and they have a web interface for management, and it's
    easy to use. They don't use Mac OS X, but instead they use FreeBSD,
    which is pretty similar at the Unix level. I run my entire web site
    locally on my laptop, and then upload it without changes to them.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  6. #6

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Randall Plant <gci.net> wrote:

    It's hard to say without knowing the details of the hosting company, but
    simple site hosting should not be that costly and should come with a
    reasonable interface to configure things. I'll point you to
    alt.www.webmaster as a newsgroup better suited to discuss specifics.

    Forums are yet another feature that is common these days for way under
    $25/month. For example, I recently moved a number of domains over to
    www.page-zone.com from Interland, and it's offering much better service
    at a much lower price. There are many such providers if you start to
    shop around.
    Doc Guest

  7. #7

    Take a look at freeshell.org

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?

    Wes Guest