Professional Web Applications Themes

Question about Mac OSX Server - Mac Applications & Software

Can Mac OSX Server live harmoniously with a "regular" OS? Or does Mac OSX Server become the OS? I ask because I want to try my hand at streaming media and I only have one hard drive with 10.2.6 on it. THX!...

  1. #1

    Default Question about Mac OSX Server

    Can Mac OSX Server live harmoniously with a "regular" OS? Or does Mac
    OSX Server become the OS?

    I ask because I want to try my hand at streaming media and I only have
    one hard drive with 10.2.6 on it.

    THX!
    Hercules Rockefeller Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Question about Mac OSX Server

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:11:47 GMT,
    Hercules Rockefeller (herkfell.er) wrote:
    > Can Mac OSX Server live harmoniously with a "regular" OS? Or does Mac
    > OSX Server become the OS?
    It is an operating system by itself. See [url]http://www.apple.com/server/macosx[/url]

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  4. #4

  5. #5

    In article <slrnbfrlt3.7vd.bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.e du>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:11:47 GMT,
    > Hercules Rockefeller (herkfell.er) wrote:
    > > Can Mac OSX Server live harmoniously with a "regular" OS? Or does Mac
    > > OSX Server become the OS?
    >
    > It is an operating system by itself. See [url]http://www.apple.com/server/macosx[/url]
    but if you have a G4 or better (if I'm remembering right) you can install
    Quicktime Streaming Server without OS X Server, just using OS X. That's
    what I'm doing. but support isn't as good, i.e., trying to upgrade it is a
    bear.
    sam grey Guest

  6. #6

  7. #7

    In article <s1mLa.43733$R73.7215sccrnsc04>,
    sam grey <sgreyinvalid.com> wrote:
    > In article <slrnbfrlt3.7vd.bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.e du>,
    > "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:11:47 GMT,
    > > Hercules Rockefeller (herkfell.er) wrote:
    > > > Can Mac OSX Server live harmoniously with a "regular" OS? Or does Mac
    > > > OSX Server become the OS?
    > >
    > > It is an operating system by itself. See
    > > [url]http://www.apple.com/server/macosx[/url]
    >
    > but if you have a G4 or better (if I'm remembering right) you can install
    > Quicktime Streaming Server without OS X Server, just using OS X. That's
    > what I'm doing. but support isn't as good, i.e., trying to upgrade it is a
    > bear.
    We have a beige G3 233 running the desktop MacOS 10.2.4
    with Darwin Streaming Server 4.1.3 serving audio and video.

    With OSX Server, QuickTime Streaming Server is built-in.
    For the desktop OS you must download and install the Streaming Server,
    and altho' it's the same animal, they call it Darwin SS
    1. to distinguish it from the "real" server
    2. so you know it's unsupported by Apple
    Peter KERR Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    In article <85f728a3da35af62d39fca927343d50cfree.teranews.co m>,
    Hercules Rockefeller <herkfell.er> wrote:
    >Can Mac OSX Server live harmoniously with a "regular" OS? Or does Mac
    >OSX Server become the OS?
    You install one thing or the other. The Server version has
    defaults suitable for a server (e.g. never go to sleep, always
    keep IP forwarding going, etc.). If you're currently running
    the Client on one computer, I'd recommend a reformat before
    installing Server.
    >I ask because I want to try my hand at streaming media and I
    > only have one hard drive with 10.2.6 on it.
    You don't need Server for streaming, IIRC, just Darwin Streaming
    Server which runs perfectly okay on the Client:

    [url]http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qtss/[/url]

    Simon Slavin Guest

  10. #10