Long story made short: The mysql-server.sh that came with
mysql-server-4.1.10a (installed from cvsup'ed ports) wouldn't work until
after I rebooted the server. It's working now, so I know I shouldn't
complain, but anyone know what happened?
1. Minimum installation, added ports distribution, cvsup to latest ports.
2. cd /usr/ports/mysql41-server; make install
3. '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start' does nothing.
4. I noticed that rc_subr wasn't installed, even though freshports says
it is required. So I installed rc_subr from ports, but still no love.
5. I put mysql_enable="YES" in rc.conf (since I would soon want it there
anyway) and restarted the ...