Professional Web Applications Themes

Question about stroke selection for scanned vector drawings... - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have a scanned drawing of a head and I want the stroke color of the hair to be a different color than that of the face, but when I fill the hair strokes, it is connected to the face and does the entire head. Is there any way to manually segment this, so it doesn't fill the entire head and just the strokes from the hair?...

  1. #1

    Default Question about stroke selection for scanned vector drawings...

    Reginald_Brubaker@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Reginald,

    A scanned drawing is raster, not vector.

    If you have a vector drawing with groups/blends/whatever, you may try working with the Direct Select Tool, holding the Shift key for picking several objects.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    ...scanned vector drawings...

    Like Jacob, I'm not sure if you mean you have a raster image which was scanned from a print of a vector drawing; or if you are working with a vector tracing of a scanned image.

    If you are in fact working with vector paths, then you could probably employ Pathfinder operations to "separate" the hair from the rest of the line work.

    If you are working with a raster image (actually, this would work with vector line work, too), you could:

    1. Draw a path surrounding the hair. Fill it with the hair color.

    2. Draw a path surrounding the rest of the line art. Fill it with the desired color.

    3. Group the two filled paths. Send these to the back.

    4. Select the lineart image and the Group. Pathfinder Palette flyout menu: Make Transparency Mask. Click the Invert checkbox.

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    What I did was I scanned a line drawing then did a live trace, so doesnt that change it to vector?

    The problem with Shift selecting is that it selects the entire head with one click and if I try to click it again it deselects because the lines from the hair are connected to the face. I need some sort of smart selection tool. Does this exist in Illustrator?

    I know I can go in and Lasso the areas to select them, but the result can be choppy.
    Reginald_Brubaker@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Reginald,

    The problem with Shift selecting is that it selects the entire head with
    one click

    With the Direct Select Tool?

    If the hair and the face are traced as one, part them. You should be able to Scissor them apart, at the bordering anchor points, and complete the shapes of hair and face to closed paths by drawing the bordering path, copying it, locking one copy at a time, and closing the path in question.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry guys, Im new to Illustrator. Yeah it was the direct select tool. I tried it again and I think I can get all the points selected, but I dont think it will work the way I need it to.

    Im just trying to figure out the fastest most effective way to separate the line colors, I think Im just going to have to lasso the fills and manual do it that way.

    How do I lasso a segment of a fill (not points) so I can change the color that way?

    Im importing this stuff to Flash and I can lasso the fills there, but Flash isnt very precise, so Id rather do it in Illustrator so I can clean it up better.
    Reginald_Brubaker@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You could leave the vector as just a stroke (no fill) and lock its
    layer. Then start a new layer underneath called color. Then use your
    pen tool to trace (manually) the areas that need color. Be careful to
    keep everything seperate.

    Fiasko Guest