Professional Web Applications Themes

Question about using mask tool - Adobe Photoshop Elements

recently leaned about using the mask tool but have a few questions. i first select "selection brush tool" then "mode:mask" i am then able to mask off part of my picture. after making an adjustment such as "levels" is there a way to go back to the "masked" picture so i can now make another adjustment such as "brightnees/contrass" or do i have re-mask the entire photo? i have the layers pallette open on my desk top and i am able to go directly back to the "levels" layer or the "brightness/contrast" layer but i can't seem to go back ...

  1. #1

    Default Question about using mask tool

    recently leaned about using the mask tool but have a few questions. i first select "selection brush tool" then "mode:mask" i am then able to mask off part of my picture. after making an adjustment such as "levels" is there a way to go back to the "masked" picture so i can now make another adjustment such as "brightnees/contrass" or do i have re-mask the entire photo? i have the layers pallette open on my desk top and i am able to go directly back to the "levels" layer or the "brightness/contrast" layer but i can't seem to go back to where i originaly masked the pic.
    George Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question about using mask tool

    I asked this same question a couple of months ago. I was doing a lot of masking then, so I might have forgotten the answer, but let's see if I'm right: Go back to the layer on which you placed the mask, hold down the either the Command or Option key (can't remember which, and you do use a Mac, right?), then double click on the mask layer. Do you get the marching ants around the area you'd originally masked? If you do, then your mask is still in effect, but it's not blacked out like when you'd applied it originally. I kept looking for that characteristic and never found it.

    OK, somebody - now post and tell George and I the right way to do this!
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    holding the command key and double clicking on the mask layer worked perfect. i knew there was a way to do this, it just took someone smarter then me to figure it out.
    George Guest

  4. #4

    No, not smarter. I've just been hanging around longer! My hair is probably grayer, too. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Beth,
    if you think you hair is gray now, just wait. i have the next 6 days off from work so i will be asking LOTS of questions. might not be a bad to to take a vaction if i were you........lol
    George Guest

  6. #6

    Ooops. Not an option - just had one week before last! That's all right - bring 'em on. Things are quiet around here right now, and I love to use "helping people" as an excuse to sit down at the computer when I should be working. :) And by the way, my hair really doesn't have any her to go. I keep calling it "gray" but everybody else would probably say it's white; I'm in denial.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest