Professional Web Applications Themes

Question for Richard Lynch - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Richard, thanks for the explanations. I always assumed that the first number refered to the horizontal resolution and the second one to the vertical resolution. Then, what does the first mean? Thanks, Ray "At the PhotoRet III setting, my camera shop told us to acheive a 300 ppi for our particular brand of printer. Given your equation, I would end up having to send a file of resolution between 600 (x1) and 780(x1,3) ppi." Nope. 1200/4 x 1 = 300 1200/4 x 1.3 = 400 This is the range of PPI for optimal printing. IF the resolution of the printer ...

  1. #1

    Default Question for Richard Lynch

    Richard, thanks for the explanations. I always assumed that the first number refered to the
    horizontal resolution and the second one to the vertical resolution. Then, what does the first
    mean?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    "At the PhotoRet III setting, my camera shop told us to acheive a 300 ppi for our particular brand
    of printer. Given your equation, I would end up having to send a file of resolution between 600 (x1)
    and
    780(x1,3) ppi."

    Nope.

    1200/4 x 1 = 300
    1200/4 x 1.3 = 400

    This is the range of PPI for optimal printing. IF the resolution of the printer truely is 1200 dpi.
    In the resolution, take whichever is lower, not higher. so a 720x2400 printer is really 720.

    300 is right, and some claim the numbers for inkjets can go as low as .75. I am not going to vouch
    for that. 1-1 would seem to be the lowest I am comfortable with as you don't get more detail in an
    image just by picking a different printer.

    Clearer?

    Robillard, Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question for Richard Lynch

    Ray,
    It is too bad you had to start a new thread to continue this discussion. I don't know why Bob Hill felt that he had to shut down the thread where this discussion was going on. Sometimes, these forum hosts get a little ahead of themselves. I started a new thread just to cofront Bob on this. I see no justification for shutting down the other thread. The discussion was ongoing, there was no nastiness or personal attacks. Why did he shut it down?
    Bert
    Bigelow, Guest

  3. #3

    The two numbers refer to how finely the two different sets of stepper
    motors can move. One set moves the print head over the paper, the other set
    moves the paper. Although it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer,
    the larger number generally refers to the motion of the print head.

    As Richard has mentioned, the higher number looks impressive, and can
    actually have some influence on the overall look, but really the lower
    number is going to be the most important.

    Thinking of file specifications in terms of the printer is pretty much a
    tailchase, at least in the case of desktop printing. It's good to prepare a
    file in terms of printING, but not for a given printER. A properly-designed
    file will print well to any properly-setup printer.
    Douglas_Nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    So, even if I'm tempted to switch for a Canon i950 because it's a 4800 dpi, I really have to look at
    the other number... hum.. interesting. Thanks!

    Ray Guest

  5. #5

    Bert, thanks for your concern. I find it rude, especially because we're paying customer, so a
    little respect would be in order I feel. After all, in a way, we're paying for this service, with
    the money we spend on Elements and other Adobe products.

    Ray

  6. #6

    Bob (or was it Richard?) responded in another thread that it was just that it got too long too quickly. They seem happy for us to continue the thread, but threads over 100 posts are too daunting for people who don't come by every day. There doesn't seem to be any ill will involved.

    It has been a very enlightening thread.
    Lou_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I second Lou's comment. I know that even I sometimes will look at the number of posts that have appeared on a new thread and silently groan. But I have the option of skipping anything I don't want to plow through. Bob and Rich may not have that option.

    Having a thread terminated can sometimes be annoying, but I'd rather have them ended because of their length than because of "censorship." After all, we've gotta admit that sometimes we do stray a little from the subject, and I'm including myself in the list of people who can get sidetracked. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ok, someone just needs to start a new thread with the ' Printer resolution ' topic. The way it stands now anyone searching for info on this topic will
    not find it under the current heading. Bob said a new thread could be started. Richard justified the reasons it happened. Let's just do it...someone, anyone...Beth, you are the BEST with wording..how 'bout it ? ;)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Just have a look at : "New Worm Poses As Security Patch" ...121 messages!
    Raymond Guest

  10. #10

    Just have a look at : "New Worm Poses As Security Patch" ...121 messages!

    And that topic is COMPLETELY OT as far as anything related to Photoshop is concerned. As I said before, if thread length is a criterion for shutdown, it certainly is NOT enforced uniformly.
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I always assumed that the first number refered to the horizontal resolution
    and the second one to the vertical resolution. Then, what does the first
    mean?

    As Doug suggested, it has to do with an increment in movement. It can have some influence, yes, but in my estimation not enough to really regard as true resolution. It is somewhat comparable to interpolated rather than optical resolution in a scanner or camera. Interpolated values are a digital enhancement, and may be estimation.

    As far as Bob, that thread did a significant stray mid-stream...was pretty distracting. Short threads tend to be better focused. As these are not generally edited for clarity, it was probably the right choice

    Richard
    Richard_Lynch@adobeforums.com Guest