Professional Web Applications Themes

Question for wildlife photographers - Photography

PostingCoach wrote:  I do wonder if someone's been having you on - many 'blads have been used for shooting birds, but not many of those have feathers ;-) -- regards, dslr...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Question for wildlife photographers

    --
    regards,
    dslr

  2. #2

    PostingCoach wrote:

    Go for a good 4x5 with a motor drive. Excellent quality but a bit bulky
    Short of that I'd use whatever you have available. Even a 35mm. Hard to tell if
    this is a troll. I'm cynical given the last few weeks.
    Stan
    Visual Arts Photography

    stan Guest

  3. #3

    >From: com (PostingCoach)

    This is true. Weddings and portraits were an afterthought.

    I prefer to use my 8x10" view camera, especially for grizzly bears. Using
    something as wimpy as 35 mm is downright unmanly and unsporting since you can
    shoot from such a great distance. Takes all the excitement out of it.

    Bill
    (when does middle-school start anyway?)

    Bill Guest

  4. #4

    dslr wrote:

    Love it!

    Alan Guest

  5. #5

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    Yep. Knew a guy who did that, he and his brother. They were old when I met
    them.

    One of them would set up just off a trail known to be used by grizzlies; his
    brother would stand in the trail to serve as a model for framing and
    focusing, and so the shot would be ready to go when a grizzly appeared.
    The first few times they did this, the damn bear didn't stop long enough
    for an exposure, so the next time out they set up with flash powder,
    figuring to catch the bear in his tracks.

    Well, this worked pretty well, until the bears stopped being spooked by the
    flash powder. The next time a bear came by that had been photographed
    before, instead of turning tail and skedaddling when the flash went off, he
    raised up on his hind feet to get at the photographer. Problem was, the
    bear had been watching for the flash and had been blinded by it, so he
    wandered off in the wrong direction.

    The brothers talked this over and decided that photographing bears had just
    taken an exciting turn, that getting a picture of a bear on its hind legs
    was just the thing they'd been looking for. So what they did was have two
    flash charges, and catch the bear's attention with the first one, so they
    could get an image with the second.

    This worked even better, and pretty soon the two brothers began to compile a
    stock of really impressive (read: saleable) bear pictures. Then one day
    the bear happened to blink during both flash charges, and instead of being
    blinded, he was able to see the two men. That wasn't a problem, of course,
    because the fellows knew how to handle bears on the rampage.

    The brother on watch simply shrugged, drew his Colt Frontiersman, stepped up
    to the bear as it opened its arms and laid the barrel on the lower jaw of
    the bear. And pulled the trigger. Bear went over backwards; end of bear.

    That was sort of sad, because eventually all the bears in the area figured
    out what was going on, and, having lost kin to this business, ran like hell
    whenever they smelt photo chemicals. See, the last series of photos was of
    the bear being n away by the brother.....

    'Course, about then, some of them new-fangled photographers with their wimpy
    cameras started showing up looking for bear, and the brothers decided to
    retire. The bears couldn't tell the difference between 8x10 field cameras
    and the HCB pocket variety, and figured it was safer to stay away, so none
    of the new guys got eaten by bear. But they didn't get any bear pictures,
    either.

    Just as well. Them new-fangled pocket cameras wouldn't have produced a
    decent photograph in any case: the only reasonable photograph of a bear is
    life-size, dontchaknow, and for knowledgeable clientele in the market for
    bear pictures, stepping up close enough to the print to put their nose on
    the lower jaw of the bear was required.....

    Yep, photography ain't what it used to be.

    Bill Tallman

    William Guest

  6. #6

    com (PostingCoach) wrote in

    Disc Cameras. Nothing else. Easy drop-in film loading, auto advance,
    built-in flash. Fits in a pocket. 15 frames is a perfect amount for
    wildlife.

    Duh!

    - Al.

    --
    To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
    Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
    Al Guest

  7. #7

    I'd love to find the place (apart from a zoo) where lions and moose (mooses?
    meese?) hang out together.

    Africa's top wildlife photographers mostly use Canon 35mm gear.

    --
    "I smile mostly everywhere. Well, there's some people might disagree. But
    hey, I'm playin' with the Stones, man. You know, I mean why shouldn't I

    www.imageunlimited.co.za
    ..
    "PostingCoach" <com> wrote in message
    was
    general
    that
    birds"
    Leica

    Dallas Guest

  8. #8

    Al Denelsbeck wrote:

    NOW you tell us! And just what am I supposed to do with all the
    disposable cameras I bought for my trip into the jungle?
    Throw them away?!?

    Steve Kramer
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    http://www.photoenvisions.com

    --
    "The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons,
    but in seeing with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

  9. #9

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (PostingCoach) wrote:

    check out:
    www.lanting.com
    to see what Frans Lanting uses. (my favorite wildlife photographer)

    Lourens
    Lourens Guest

  10. #10

    Al Denelsbeck wrote:

    Well, if you're going to esoteric on us....

    Alan Guest

  11. #11

    Your information is correct, but not because of image quality. The
    telephoto lens required for bird photography with a Hassy is so big that it
    has to be permanently mounted on the chassis of a one ton truck. The stiff
    truck suspension makes the lens very stable so you are guaranteed sharp
    pictures.

    An additional advantage is that the big truck usually knocks over the
    tripods of all those wimps with little 35 mm cameras on tripods when you
    drive up, so you are usually the only one who gets the shot. That is of
    course unless some macho geek with an even bigger 8 x 10 telephoto lens
    mounted on an industrial dump truck drives over you and wrecks your fun.

    Scott Elliot
    http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

    "PostingCoach" <com> wrote in message
    was
    general
    that
    birds"
    Leica

    Scott Guest

  12. #12

    Steve Kramer wrote:

    > NOW you tell us! And just what am I supposed to do with all the
    > disposable cameras I bought for my trip into the jungle?
    > Throw them away?!?
    >
    > Steve Kramer
    > Chiang Mai, Thailand
    >[/ref]

    You can give them to a wedding photographer!
    Stan
    Visual Arts Photography

    stan Guest

  13. #13

    Al Denelsbeck wrote:

    Well, if you're going to go esoteric on us....

    Alan Guest

  14. #14

    com (PostingCoach) wrote in message news:<aol.com>...

    I would recommend the Leica 400mm 6.8 and 560mm 6.8 Telyts on any
    suitable Leica R or Leicaflex body over anything else. Their light
    weight and compactness (they break down into two parts) together with
    their extremely high contrast make these long lenses superb performers
    for wildlife work.
    Michael Guest

  15. #15

    >From: dslr com

    > I do wonder if someone's been having you on - many 'blads have been
    > used for shooting birds, but not many of those have feathers ;-)[/ref]

    Thanks to all for the good advice. And from some of the replies that were
    posted, I'm going to assume that the Hasselblad isn't the most obvious choice
    for "moose and lions". =)

    The same person that said the Hasselblads were designed "for the sole purpose
    of photographing birds" also just happens to be the same person that said
    "Nikon cameras are filter friendly". She claims that the "universal thread
    design" of the Canon cameras are likely to "strip out or cross-thread" when you
    try to use filters.
    PostingCoach Guest

  16. #16

    PostingCoach wrote:

    > > I do wonder if someone's been having you on - many 'blads have been
    > > used for shooting birds, but not many of those have feathers ;-)[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks to all for the good advice. And from some of the replies that were
    > posted, I'm going to assume that the Hasselblad isn't the most obvious choice
    > for "moose and lions". =)
    >
    > The same person that said the Hasselblads were designed "for the sole purpose
    > of photographing birds" also just happens to be the same person that said
    > "Nikon cameras are filter friendly". She claims that the "universal thread
    > design" of the Canon cameras are likely to "strip out or cross-thread" when you
    > try to use filters.[/ref]

    LOL.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

  17. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Michael Guest
    Moderated Post

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Frank Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    Don't forget that changing disks is fast and easy!!

    Al Denelsbeck <net> wrote:
    : com (PostingCoach) wrote in
    : news:aol.com:

    : Disc Cameras. Nothing else. Easy drop-in film loading, auto advance,
    : built-in flash. Fits in a pocket. 15 frames is a perfect amount for
    : wildlife.

    : Duh!

    : - Al.

    -------------------
    com
    Frank Guest

  20. #20

    Steve Kramer <com> wrote:
    : Al Denelsbeck wrote:
    :>
    :> com (PostingCoach) wrote in
    :> news:aol.com:
    :>
    :> Disc Cameras. Nothing else. Easy drop-in film loading, auto advance,
    :> built-in flash. Fits in a pocket. 15 frames is a perfect amount for
    :> wildlife.
    :>
    :> Duh!
    :>
    :> - Al.

    : NOW you tell us! And just what am I supposed to do with all the
    : disposable cameras I bought for my trip into the jungle?
    : Throw them away?!?

    Dispose them. :-)

    com
    Frank Guest