Professional Web Applications Themes

Question: How can I "expire" a web page (prevent BACK button) - ASP.NET General

I know some sites will display the following message if you click on the BACK button in your browser. How do I implement this feature? Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your information for you. To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh button....

  1. #1

    Default Question: How can I "expire" a web page (prevent BACK button)

    I know some sites will display the following message if you click on the
    BACK button in your browser. How do I implement this feature?

    Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using
    information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a
    security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your
    information for you.

    To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh
    button.

    VB Programmer Guest

  2. #2

    Response.SetCacheability(nocache enum) roughly

    "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > I know some sites will display the following message if you click on the
    > BACK button in your browser. How do I implement this feature?
    >
    > Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using
    > information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As
    > security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit
    your
    > information for you.
    >
    > To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh
    > button.

    Alvin Bruney Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks. In the Page_Load even I tried both:

    Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.Se rverAndNoCache)
    and
    Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.No Cache )

    But, I can still hit the BACK button and see the page. Ideas?

    "Alvin Bruney" <vapordan_spam_me_nothotmail_no_spamhotmail.com > wrote in
    message news:OcISQOqWDHA.1744TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Response.SetCacheability(nocache enum) roughly
    >
    > "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > > I know some sites will display the following message if you click on the
    > > BACK button in your browser. How do I implement this feature?
    > >
    > > Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using
    > > information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available.
    As
    > > security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit
    > your
    > > information for you.
    > >
    > > To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh
    > > button.

    VB Programmer Guest

  4. #4

    could it be caching on a proxy ... in the old asp world we would do the
    following:

    Response.Expires = -1

    Response.AddHeader "Pragma", "No-Cache"

    Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"

    > Thanks. In the Page_Load even I tried both:
    >
    > Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.Se rverAndNoCache)
    > and
    > Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.No Cache )
    >
    > But, I can still hit the BACK button and see the page. Ideas?
    >
    > "Alvin Bruney" <vapordan_spam_me_nothotmail_no_spamhotmail.com > wrote in
    > message news:OcISQOqWDHA.1744TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > Response.SetCacheability(nocache enum) roughly
    > >
    > > "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > > > I know some sites will display the following message if you click on
    the
    > > > BACK button in your browser. How do I implement this feature?
    > > >
    > > > Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using
    > > > information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available.
    > As
    > > > security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit
    > > your
    > > > information for you.
    > > >
    > > > To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh
    > > > button.

    Dhananjay Modak Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks. I've tried...

    Response.Expires=-1

    also...

    Response.Cache.SetExpires(DateTime.Now.AddSeconds( 0))
    Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.No Cache)

    It still let's me go "BACK" to the form. Any ideas?

    "Dhananjay Modak" <dhananjay.modaknewellandbudge.com> wrote in message
    > could it be caching on a proxy ... in the old asp world we would do the
    > following:
    >
    > Response.Expires = -1
    >
    > Response.AddHeader "Pragma", "No-Cache"
    >
    > Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
    >

    > "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks. In the Page_Load even I tried both:

    Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.Se rverAndNoCache)
    > > and
    > > Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.No Cache )
    > >
    > > But, I can still hit the BACK button and see the page. Ideas?
    > >
    > > "Alvin Bruney" <vapordan_spam_me_nothotmail_no_spamhotmail.com > wrote
    in
    > > message news:OcISQOqWDHA.1744TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > > Response.SetCacheability(nocache enum) roughly
    > > >
    > > > "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > the

    > > As
    > > > your

    Refresh

    VB Programmer Guest

  6. #6

    I know this does basically one way or another what you are going for, but it
    should force a refresh to the server.

    bill

    > Thanks. I've tried...
    >
    > Response.Expires=-1
    >
    > also...
    >
    > Response.Cache.SetExpires(DateTime.Now.AddSeconds( 0))
    > Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.No Cache)
    >
    > It still let's me go "BACK" to the form. Any ideas?
    >
    > "Dhananjay Modak" <dhananjay.modaknewellandbudge.com> wrote in message
    > > could it be caching on a proxy ... in the old asp world we would do the
    > > following:
    > >
    > > Response.Expires = -1
    > >
    > > Response.AddHeader "Pragma", "No-Cache"
    > >
    > > Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
    > >

    > > "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks. In the Page_Load even I tried both:
    > > >

    > Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.Se rverAndNoCache)
    > > > and
    > > > Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.No Cache )
    > > >
    > > > But, I can still hit the BACK button and see the page. Ideas?
    > > >
    > > > "Alvin Bruney" <vapordan_spam_me_nothotmail_no_spamhotmail.com > wrote
    > in
    > > > message news:OcISQOqWDHA.1744TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    > > the

    > available.
    > > > As
    > resubmit

    > Refresh

    William F. Robertson, Jr. Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks.

    Tried that also. It didn't work. Any more ideas?

    Any links to samples, etc..?

    VB Programmer Guest

  8. #8

    That page about resubmitting you're talking about does not come from the
    server. It is shown by IE and you will see if when you come back to a page
    that got form submitted through POST method to it. If you come back to such
    a page IE (or any other client for that matter) will not automatically
    resubmit the form.

    Jerry

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tried that also. It didn't work. Any more ideas?
    >
    > Any links to samples, etc..?
    >
    > "William F. Robertson, Jr." <wfrobertsonkpmg.com> wrote in message
    > > I know this does basically one way or another what you are going for,
    but
    > it
    > > should force a refresh to the server.
    > >
    > > bill

    > > "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks. I've tried...
    > > >
    > > > Response.Expires=-1
    > > >
    > > > also...
    > > >
    > > > Response.Cache.SetExpires(DateTime.Now.AddSeconds( 0))
    > > > Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.No Cache)
    > > >
    > > > It still let's me go "BACK" to the form. Any ideas?
    > > >
    > > > "Dhananjay Modak" <dhananjay.modaknewellandbudge.com> wrote in
    message
    > the

    > > > Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.Se rverAndNoCache)

    > wrote
    > > > in

    > click
    > > on

    > using
    > > > available.
    > > > resubmit

    > > > Refresh

    Jerry III Guest

  9. #9

    As I stated in my original message I would like my browser to give me a
    "Warning: Page has Expired..." message, like it does if you try hitting the
    BACK key in a secure website (PayPal.com, etc...)

    Robert

    VB Programmer Guest

  10. #10

    From what I could tell, the expire notice when you press
    back is caused by the page submitting form variables. If
    you have the page submit a form (along with a couple
    variables) to get to the next page, you should receive
    the message when you click back.

    wrote in message
    >> could it be caching on a proxy ... in the old asp
    world we would do the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> Response.Expires = -1
    >>
    >> Response.AddHeader "Pragma", "No-Cache"
    >>
    >> Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
    >>

    >> "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in
    message
    >> > Thanks. In the Page_Load even I tried both:
    >> >

    >Response.Cache.SetCacheability
    (HttpCacheability.ServerAndNoCache)
    >> > and
    >> > Response.Cache.SetCacheability
    (HttpCacheability.NoCache )

    >> > But, I can still hit the BACK button and see the
    page. Ideas?

    >> > "Alvin Bruney"
    <vapordan_spam_me_nothotmail_no_spamhotmail.com > wrote
    >in
    >> > message news:OcISQOqWDHA.1744TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    in message
    message if you click on
    >> the

    is no longer
    >available.
    >> > As
    >resubmit

    page, click the
    >Refresh
    >> > > >

    >.

    Mark Fox Guest

  11. #11

    Do you want me to repeat myself? This happens when you submit data to that
    page through POST. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with page expiration.

    Jerry

    > As I stated in my original message I would like my browser to give me a
    > "Warning: Page has Expired..." message, like it does if you try hitting
    the
    > BACK key in a secure website (PayPal.com, etc...)
    >
    > Robert
    >
    > "Jerry III" <jerryiiihotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > That page about resubmitting you're talking about does not come from the
    > > server. It is shown by IE and you will see if when you come back to a
    page
    > > that got form submitted through POST method to it. If you come back to
    > such
    > > a page IE (or any other client for that matter) will not automatically
    > > resubmit the form.
    > >
    > > Jerry
    > >
    > > "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Tried that also. It didn't work. Any more ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Any links to samples, etc..?
    > > >
    > > > "William F. Robertson, Jr." <wfrobertsonkpmg.com> wrote in message
    > > but
    > > > it

    > > message
    > > > the

    > Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.No Cache )

    <vapordan_spam_me_nothotmail_no_spamhotmail.com >
    > > > wrote

    > > > click
    > feature?

    > > > using
    > automatically

    > the

    Jerry III Guest

  12. #12

    Like other have said - you ONLY will get this when a FORM is involved on the
    page.

    --
    Michael Tissington
    Oaklodge Technologies

    "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > I know some sites will display the following message if you click on the
    > BACK button in your browser. How do I implement this feature?
    >
    > Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using
    > information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As
    > security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit
    your
    > information for you.
    >
    > To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh
    > button.

    Michael Tissington Guest

  13. #13

    This is a form (ASP.NET webform). Is this what you mean? Sorry, ASP.NET /
    web development is new to me.

    "Michael Tissington" <michaelnospam.com> wrote in message
    > Like other have said - you ONLY will get this when a FORM is involved on
    the
    > page.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Tissington
    > Oaklodge Technologies
    > [url]http://www.oaklodge.com/technology[/url]
    >
    > "VB Programmer" <growNO-SPAMgo-intech.com> wrote in message
    > > I know some sites will display the following message if you click on the
    > > BACK button in your browser. How do I implement this feature?
    > >
    > > Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using
    > > information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available.
    As
    > > security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit
    > your
    > > information for you.
    > >
    > > To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh
    > > button.

    VB Programmer Guest