Professional Web Applications Themes

question on databases - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I am trying my hand at a dynamic website (bored with static ones) and I am totally confused why: I want to use php but it is said that I need MySqL, Phpmyadmin and god knows whatever else! My question is, don't Mysql and phpmyadmin basicaly do the same thing? Why do I need both of them? I can create databases and edit them from either, or from DWMX for that matter! Generally what is the process or protocol for you guy's who use these programs with databases? What order are they to be used and breifly how? info: my ...

  1. #1

    Default question on databases

    I am trying my hand at a dynamic website (bored with static ones) and I am
    totally confused why:
    I want to use php but it is said that I need MySqL, Phpmyadmin and god knows
    whatever else! My question is, don't Mysql and phpmyadmin basicaly do the
    same thing? Why do I need both of them? I can create databases and edit them
    from either, or from DWMX for that matter!
    Generally what is the process or protocol for you guy's who use these
    programs with databases? What order are they to be used and breifly how?

    info: my site will have photos and comments that users will be able to
    upload from their PC's. I just need to be able to keep track of them, what
    belongs to who etc...
    I have a testing server set up local and my remote server is a linux based.

    Thanks!

    Frank Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: question on databases

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:30:53 GMT, "Frank" <com>
    wrote:

    MySQL is a database server. It's free! But it has no GUI front end,
    and simple people like me have difficulty configuring it. phpmyadmin
    is a GUI tool that you can use to administer MySQL with. It's also
    free. But I prefer a different GUI - called DBManager, from
    www.dbtools.com.br. It's also free. php is just the scripting
    language. You need a database to connect to, and MySQL is the most
    popular.

    In addition, I recommend you use the Windows version of Apache as your
    web server, rather than IIS. This is also free and easy to install.
    Install Apache first, after disabling IIS, then install PHP, then
    MySQL. Your remote Linux server will be running the Linux brand of
    Apache, so the applications you make will be just the same on your
    machine as the remote.

    Paul Taylor
    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your reply Paul, I'm sorry I wasn't clear on my post but I meant
    MySQL CC which has a GUI, that other version (MYSqL) scares me. Anyway I'm
    just having a hard time understanding the relationship between PhpMyadmin
    and MySQL. Seems to me if I can add, edit, and create tables and databases
    soley using PhpMyadmin on my webhosting server then MySQL on my PC is not
    serving any purpose that I can see. But I think I'm still missing something
    here though... Can you be more specific on how they depend on each other? I
    know I know I need someone to draw me a picture lol.
    Thanks!

    "Paul Taylor" <co.uk> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    am [/ref]
    knows [/ref]
    them [/ref]
    what [/ref]
    based.

    > MySQL is a database server. It's free! But it has no GUI front end,
    > and simple people like me have difficulty configuring it. phpmyadmin
    > is a GUI tool that you can use to administer MySQL with. It's also
    > free. But I prefer a different GUI - called DBManager, from
    > www.dbtools.com.br. It's also free. php is just the scripting
    > language. You need a database to connect to, and MySQL is the most
    > popular.
    >
    > In addition, I recommend you use the Windows version of Apache as your
    > web server, rather than IIS. This is also free and easy to install.
    > Install Apache first, after disabling IIS, then install PHP, then
    > MySQL. Your remote Linux server will be running the Linux brand of
    > Apache, so the applications you make will be just the same on your
    > machine as the remote.
    >

    > Paul Taylor[/ref]

    Frank Guest

  4. #4

    Argh!... Seems that I didn't mention that my webhost has a SQL Account
    maintenance page, this is where I actually create my databases and add users
    and access. THEN I click to phpMyadmin from there to do editing. Yes... I am
    confused....

    "Frank" <com> wrote in message
    meant
    something
    I [/ref]
    > am [/ref]
    > knows [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref]
    > them [/ref][/ref]
    how? [/ref]
    > what [/ref]
    > based.
    > >
    > > MySQL is a database server. It's free! But it has no GUI front end,
    > > and simple people like me have difficulty configuring it. phpmyadmin
    > > is a GUI tool that you can use to administer MySQL with. It's also
    > > free. But I prefer a different GUI - called DBManager, from
    > > www.dbtools.com.br. It's also free. php is just the scripting
    > > language. You need a database to connect to, and MySQL is the most
    > > popular.
    > >
    > > In addition, I recommend you use the Windows version of Apache as your
    > > web server, rather than IIS. This is also free and easy to install.
    > > Install Apache first, after disabling IIS, then install PHP, then
    > > MySQL. Your remote Linux server will be running the Linux brand of
    > > Apache, so the applications you make will be just the same on your
    > > machine as the remote.
    > >

    > > Paul Taylor[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Frank Guest