Professional Web Applications Themes

Question on outdoor use of flash in the shade - Photography

I just shot a roll of Tri-X 400 with my manual focus Minolta SRT-101. The pictures came out terrific, except that in some of the outdoor shots of my sons in which the sun was shining and they were in the shade, their faces are dark. I am mad at myself for not using flash, as I always remember to use it in shade or overcast with my point and shoot. So my question is this - I've read that the way to use flash outdoors on an SLR without a hot shoe is to 1) turn the flash on, ...

  1. #1

    Default Question on outdoor use of flash in the shade

    I just shot a roll of Tri-X 400 with my manual focus Minolta SRT-101.
    The pictures came out terrific, except that in some of the outdoor
    shots of my sons in which the sun was shining and they were in the
    shade, their faces are dark. I am mad at myself for not using flash,
    as I always remember to use it in shade or overcast with my point and
    shoot. So my question is this - I've read that the way to use flash
    outdoors on an SLR without a hot shoe is to 1) turn the flash on, 2)
    set the shutter to the proper setting for flash (1/60 sec. on the
    Minolta), and then 3) set the aperture to match the meter's needle.
    But I've also heard that I should do the first 2 steps and then set
    the aperture not to match the meter, but rather according to the guide
    on the flash--according to subject distance and film speed--and ignore
    the meter, just as when shooting it indoors.

    Which method is the better one? Thanks
    eb Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question on outdoor use of flash in the shade

    eb wrote:
    > I just shot a roll of Tri-X 400 with my manual focus Minolta SRT-101.
    > The pictures came out terrific, except that in some of the outdoor
    > shots of my sons in which the sun was shining and they were in the
    > shade, their faces are dark. I am mad at myself for not using flash,
    > as I always remember to use it in shade or overcast with my point and
    > shoot. So my question is this - I've read that the way to use flash
    > outdoors on an SLR without a hot shoe is to 1) turn the flash on, 2)
    > set the shutter to the proper setting for flash (1/60 sec. on the
    > Minolta), and then 3) set the aperture to match the meter's needle.
    > But I've also heard that I should do the first 2 steps and then set
    > the aperture not to match the meter, but rather according to the guide
    > on the flash--according to subject distance and film speed--and ignore
    > the meter, just as when shooting it indoors.
    >
    > Which method is the better one? Thanks
    You're talking about "fill flash", I think. Do make sure the shutter speed
    will accommodate the flash, but think about this: Where is most of the
    light coming from? The sun, or your flash? Meter for the sun.

    Now, many flash units allow the use of reduced output, such that you can set
    for a half or a quarter of the full amount. Fill flash is quite often the
    latter, but that's something you'll have to experiment to discover for
    yourself.

    Or have I forgotten all this?

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  3. #3

    William D. Tallman wrote:

    > You're talking about "fill flash", I think. Do make sure the shutter
    > speed
    > will accommodate the flash, but think about this: Where is most of the
    > light coming from? The sun, or your flash? Meter for the sun.
    And then of course I reread the OP and got that the subjects were not in the
    sun at all. So fill flash may not be appropriate here.... sorry.

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  4. #4

    [email]esb100[/email] (eb) writes:
    >SNIP<
    > The pictures came out terrific, except that in some of the outdoor
    > shots of my sons in which the sun was shining and they were in the
    > shade, their faces are dark. I am mad at myself for not using flash,
    > as I always remember to use it in shade or overcast with my point and
    > shoot.
    I'm confused about the situation. Your sons were in the shade, so what did
    you meter for? With "their faces are dark," I can't tell whether the
    children were entirely within the shade and no direct sunlight falling
    within the camera's framed area (which is what I presume from the comment
    "they were in the shade") or if only their faces were shaded (which is what
    I presume if "their faces are dark").
    >SNIP<
    > Which method is the better one? Thanks
    Without knowing just what the situation was, it's hard to make any
    suggestions on using flash.

    If only their faces were shaded, move them if at all possible -- it's a
    difficult exposure to get the shade and the sunny areas right. If you can't
    move them, the issue is whether you want their faces to be the same
    brightness as if they were in the sun or if you want a more realistic
    lighting so that they are still shaded but well-exposed. If you want more
    nearly realistic lighting, set the flash to give a half or a quarter of the
    light you would use if it were the sole light source.

    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    [url]http://www.PhilipStripling.com/[/url] | my domain is read daily.
    Phil Stripling Guest

  5. #5

    GN setting prolly won't work, as you still have to go to 1/60 or slower. The
    film's too fast, and the sync's too slow. Sooooo, I would either use a very
    low power flash or put a diffuser, like a handkerchief or point it up and
    bounce the lite off a white card. A white card might work better, not white out
    the faces as much. Bob Hickey
    Hickster0711 Guest