Professional Web Applications Themes

Question Pro Keyboard - Mac Applications & Software

I have a G4 running System 9.1 with a Pro Keyboard which came with the computer. Is there a way to designate one of the keys to start up the computer? Thanks, Sy...

  1. #1

    Default Question re: Pro Keyboard

    I have a G4 running System 9.1 with a Pro Keyboard which came with the
    computer.

    Is there a way to designate one of the keys to start up the computer?

    Thanks,

    Sy
    Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question re: Pro Keyboard

    In article <070720030745024601%sytech>, <sytech>
    wrote:
    > I have a G4 running System 9.1 with a Pro Keyboard which came with the
    > computer.
    >
    > Is there a way to designate one of the keys to start up the computer?
    If you have a G4 that came with a Pro keyboard, it doesn't support
    USB-invoked startup. Not even if you got an old keyboard with an
    honest-and-for-true power key.

    And what's with including advocacy groups in the post? I'm starting to
    wonder if you're actually trying to start a flame war somehow.

    Greg
    Gregory Weston Guest

  3. #3

    In article <gwestonREMOVE-921F28.08543707072003netnews.attbi.com>,
    Gregory Weston <gwestonREMOVECAPSattbi.com> wrote:

    Can you explain what the "problem" is with posting to "advocacy" groups?

    As a 15 year Mac user it would appear to me that I'm an "advocate" of
    that system and would like to address my questions to other "advocates"

    > In article <070720030745024601%sytech>, <sytech>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a G4 running System 9.1 with a Pro Keyboard which came with the
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to designate one of the keys to start up the computer?
    >
    > If you have a G4 that came with a Pro keyboard, it doesn't support
    > USB-invoked startup. Not even if you got an old keyboard with an
    > honest-and-for-true power key.
    >
    > And what's with including advocacy groups in the post? I'm starting to
    > wonder if you're actually trying to start a flame war somehow.
    >
    > Greg
    Guest

  4. #4

    In article <gwestonREMOVE-0C4EC7.10223807072003netnews.attbi.com>,
    Gregory Weston <gwestonREMOVECAPSattbi.com> wrote:

    Ok, Greg I hear ya. Can you recommend other Mac groups to ask
    questions?

    > In article <070720030944187609%sytech>, <sytech>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > > And what's with including advocacy groups in the post? I'm starting to
    > > > wonder if you're actually trying to start a flame war somehow.
    > > >
    > > Can you explain what the "problem" is with posting to "advocacy" groups?
    > >
    > > As a 15 year Mac user it would appear to me that I'm an "advocate" of
    > > that system and would like to address my questions to other "advocates"
    >
    > As an 18-year Mac user, I'd point out that the problem with posting to
    > advocacy groups is bi-directional. First, the posts I've seen from you
    > are not advocacy themselves or related to the process of advocacy.
    > They're straight, factual questions. Second, the advocacy groups are not
    > about advocacy _or_ straight, factual questions. They're about large
    > groups of people engaging in knee- arguments not so much _for_ a
    > platform as against the alternative. Commonly - although there are rare
    > exceptions - whichever option a given participant in those groups is
    > arguing against, their arguments are based on information that is
    > outdated if it ever was correct, opinion posed as fact, and comments
    > that the person to whom they're nominally responding never actually
    > made. An overwhelming percentage of the people who contribute in
    > advocacy groups do so to argue. Note the distinction between argue and
    > debate.
    >
    > In short, the advocacy groups are not a breeding ground for anything
    > resembling informative useful conversation.
    >
    > For example, if I had not noticed csm.advocacy in the group list and
    > _had_ (as I considered doing) included a discussion about which models
    > support USB-invoked startup and why recent ones don't, it would almost
    > certainly have triggered a rant about Apple's being incapable of
    > adopting standard interfaces without somehow ing things up to make
    > them proprietary, forcing their users to buy rarer and more expensive
    > equipment and yadayadayada. This despite the fact that Apple's extension
    > to USB to support startup is a) history, b) exceptional and c) didn't
    > strictly conflict with the USB standard _or_ lock users into non-generic
    > hardware. Said rant would trigger responses going on at great length
    > about a, b and c - and also d through q - and they'd be off to the races.
    >

    > Greg
    Guest

  5. #5

    In article <070720031356433245%sytech>, <sytech>
    wrote:
    > [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
    > the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
    >
    > In article <gwestonREMOVE-0C4EC7.10223807072003netnews.attbi.com>,
    > Gregory Weston <gwestonREMOVECAPSattbi.com> wrote:
    >

    > Ok, Greg I hear ya. Can you recommend other Mac groups to ask
    > questions?
    I think the other ones you've been using are fine. If it's a Mac
    question, just find appropriate groups in comp.sys.mac.*. You just have
    to remind yourself that "advocacy" is too often pronounced AR-gyoo. And
    if that's what you _want_ to do at times, then that's fine, too.

    Gregory Weston Guest

  6. #6

    <sytech> writes:

    > Ok, Greg I hear ya. Can you recommend other Mac groups to ask
    > questions?
    I'll beat Greg to the punch here.

    Just about any group other than advocacy would be better for asking
    serious questions. Pick the one most relevant to your question.

    Likely candidates under comp.sys.mac include:

    app, apps - for discussing application software

    comm - for communication issues, including modems, Ethernet and
    internet access

    databases - this name should be self-explanatory

    forsale - if you want to buy or sell something Mac related

    games.{action | adventure | flight-sim | misc | strategic} - for
    discussion game software.

    general - general discussion about the Mac platform

    graphics - the name should be self-explanatory

    hardware - for discussing Mac hardware and hardware problems. Note
    also the sub-groups for specific categories of hardware: storage,
    video and misc).

    hypercard - for discussion of the Hypercard software package,
    Hypercard programming, and related software.

    misc - stuff that doesn't fit into any other category

    portables - laptop Macs only

    printing - for discussion of printers and software related to printing

    system - for disussion the MacOS system software itself

    In this particular case, sice your question was about keyboards, I
    would recommend either hardware or hardware.misc.

    And just to add another data point supporting Greg's comments about
    advocacy, I have my newsreader configured to not show me any article
    that is cross-posted to an advocacy group. I suspect I'm not the
    only one who does this. If you post a serious question to an
    advocacy group, a lot of people who might be able to help you may
    never see your message.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  7. #7

    In article <gwestonREMOVE-921F28.08543707072003netnews.attbi.com>,
    Gregory Weston <gwestonREMOVECAPSattbi.com> wrote:
    >In article <070720030745024601%sytech>, <sytech>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I have a G4 running System 9.1 with a Pro Keyboard which came with the
    >> computer.
    >> Is there a way to designate one of the keys to start up the computer?
    >
    >If you have a G4 that came with a Pro keyboard, it doesn't support
    >USB-invoked startup. Not even if you got an old keyboard with an
    >honest-and-for-true power key.
    That depends upon which G4 he has.

    I have a Gigabit-Enet G4 which came with a black Pro Keyboard.
    While helping a friend test out an old iMac keyboard, I discovered
    (to my surprise) that the power-on-button on that keyboard would
    start up my G4.

    Griffin technology makes an ADB-2-USB adaper ("iMate") that they claim
    will let you use an ADB keyboard (including the power-on button) with a
    USB based machine. (not tried one out, anybody know?)

    With the Pro Keyboard, there is a command-'eject' key sequence that
    will bring up the "shutdown" dialog on a running system, but I don't
    think that you can use that as a power-on sequence.

    --
    Dave Funk University of Iowa
    <dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu> College of Engineering