Professional Web Applications Themes

questions about dslr's/lenses - Photography

Im about to delve into the 10D and the associated lenses. What im interested to know is, are lenses bought overseas in the same situation warranty wise as the body? ie if something breaks on the lens will i have to send it back to point of purchase or will canon aust fix/replace it? People here talk about saving some dollars buying lenses overseas, but this would seem a little risky if there was no warranty. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default questions about dslr's/lenses

    Im about to delve into the 10D and the associated lenses. What im interested
    to know is, are lenses bought overseas in the same situation warranty wise
    as the body? ie if something breaks on the lens will i have to send it back
    to point of purchase or will canon aust fix/replace it? People here talk
    about saving some dollars buying lenses overseas, but this would seem a
    little risky if there was no warranty.

    Thanks.

    reg-john Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: questions about dslr's/lenses

    So you are buying a 2500-3000 dollar camera and you are now considering
    putting on some cheap and nasty glass. Go figure?
    Don't you want to get the best of out your new state of the arts camera??
    buy GOOD glass, it will last you the next few camera bodies

    If you are looking at Canon, then body has region warranty and lenses have
    world wide warranty - don't forget to support your local stores as much as
    you can, cos they are the once that will be here when you need help.

    Having said that, there can be huge savings from buying overseas.

    It is not the camera that is expensive it is the lenses to suit it and your
    needs, as they grow :-) then again I am probably hit by an extreme disease.

    Hope you will have fun with your new toy, best of luck

    Henrik

    "reg-john" <com> wrote in message
    interested
    back

    Henrik Guest

  3. #3

    I dont think he even suggested what sort of lens he was going to buy.
    Overseas discounts are overseas discounts, no matter what sort of lens.

    "Henrik" <net.au> wrote in message
    your
    disease.
    > interested [/ref]
    wise
    > back
    >
    >[/ref]

    Ubiquitous Guest

  4. #4

    > Good to see you joining the 10D ranks, you get a good view sitting on top
    of

    Not sure how good the view is up there, depends if he gets one that focuses
    correctly.

    Gavin Guest

  5. #5

    Haha good point... :) I still think its greatly exaggerated though.. Mine
    worked fine out of the box. Its still nothing that Canon can't fix under
    warranty (the majority of the time anyway)

    "Gavin Cato" <woofg.com> wrote in message
    news:3f3dd5a0$syd.ip.net.au... [/ref]
    top

    > Not sure how good the view is up there, depends if he gets one that[/ref]
    focuses

    Ubiquitous Guest

  6. #6

    My opinion is that it's something that people only notice if they
    specifically look for it - all these guys own the camera and are happy with
    it until they hear about the problem then they frantically start focussing
    on rulers and other things to see if they have it :)

    However as a nikon guy I still feel compelled to post this link :)

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=5850861

    Gav

    "Ubiquitous" <net.au> wrote in message
    news:3f3dd6df$0$23606$iinet.net.au... [/ref]
    > top
    > >
    > > Not sure how good the view is up there, depends if he gets one that[/ref]
    > focuses
    >
    >[/ref]

    Gavin Guest

  7. #7

    And my 300 2.8 has done just this. Canon says about $1200.00 to repair.
    Such is life.

    Narelle Guest

  8. #8

    "Narelle" <com> wrote in message

    > And my 300 2.8 has done just this. Canon says about $1200.00 to repair.
    > Such is life.
    >[/ref]

    Jackie at legend will prbably take a zero off the end.

    Miro Guest

  9. #9

    In article <3f3df727$0$28117$optusnet.com.au>,
    " Miro" <com> wrote:

    > > And my 300 2.8 has done just this. Canon says about $1200.00 to repair.
    > > Such is life.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Jackie at legend will prbably take a zero off the end.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Who at where? Please explain.
    Narelle Guest

  10. #10

    Well, there is a bit of truth in that :-) Me taking the bull by the horns
    and a assuming the worst :-)

    Ubiquitous, what glass would be good for the 10D? I personally don't have a
    10D

    Henrik

    "Ubiquitous" <net.au> wrote in message
    news:3f3d7023$0$23601$iinet.net.au... [/ref]
    camera?? [/ref]
    have [/ref]
    as
    > your
    > disease.
    > > interested [/ref]
    > wise
    > > back [/ref][/ref]
    talk [/ref][/ref]

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Henrik Guest

  11. #11

    I intend to get mainly Canon L glass, but from what i hear its cheaper from
    overseas. my question was concerning waranty.

    "Henrik" <net.au> wrote in message
    a [/ref][/ref]
    considering [/ref]
    > camera?? [/ref]
    > have [/ref][/ref]
    much
    > > your
    > > disease. [/ref][/ref]
    warranty [/ref][/ref]
    it [/ref]
    > talk [/ref][/ref]
    seem

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    reg-john Guest

  12. #12

    idiots with 7 area AF will always not be able to focus it.

    "Gavin Cato" <woofg.com> wrote in message
    with [/ref]
    Mine [/ref][/ref]
    on
    > > focuses
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    reg-john Guest

  13. #13

    Basically your lenses bought overseas SHOULD be covered under warranty.

    Whats your budget reg? You'd probably be best off travelling to say
    Singapore directly, as you would most likely be charged GST if you had them
    delivered by courier. If you bought a substantial amount of glass you could
    justify the trip purely on the savings from the lack of GST.

    "reg-john" <com> wrote in message
    from [/ref]
    horns [/ref]
    have [/ref][/ref]
    lens. [/ref]
    > considering
    > > camera?? [/ref][/ref]
    lenses [/ref]
    > much [/ref][/ref]
    and [/ref]
    > warranty [/ref][/ref]
    send [/ref][/ref]
    here [/ref]
    > seem
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Ubiquitous Guest

  14. #14

    "Ubiquitous" wrote :
    them
    could

    Travelling to Singapore doesn't allow you to avoid paying GST. Legally, you
    have to declare the lenses bought overseas and pay GST at Australian customs
    (there is a $400 GST-free limit per adult person).

    Cheers - Rab.

    > from [/ref]
    > horns [/ref]
    > have [/ref][/ref]
    buy. [/ref]
    > lens.
    > > considering [/ref]
    > lenses
    > > much [/ref][/ref]
    help. [/ref]
    > and [/ref][/ref]
    im
    > > warranty [/ref]
    > send [/ref]
    > here
    > > seem
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    rarsin Guest

  15. #15

    They are only talking about the center AF point.

    > with [/ref]
    focussing [/ref]
    > Mine [/ref][/ref]
    under [/ref]
    > on
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Gavin Guest

  16. #16

    Hi Reg-john,

    You should have any problems with warranty, I have been very successful
    buying from this guy in Hong Kong

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/34060

    very good communication and very fast service - I was most impressed! and
    the savings was great! :-)
    Please tell him I send you, I know of others who have bought from him as
    well

    best of luck - your 10D deserves the best glass you can afford

    best regards

    Henrik

    Henrik Guest

  17. #17

    are these prices USD? if they are, after calculating aud prices and adding
    the customs gst and fee, it doesnt seem to be much less than dirtcheap for
    some items.

    "Henrik" <net.au> wrote in message

    reg-john Guest

  18. #18

    actually i checked a couple of others, there are some big savings :)

  19. #19

    all 100% of the people with "focus problems" have figured out how to turn
    off 7af and set it to the centre? i doubt it.

    > > with [/ref]
    > focussing
    > > Mine [/ref]
    > under [/ref][/ref]
    sitting [/ref][/ref]
    that

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    reg-john Guest

  20. #20

    "Narelle" <com> wrote in message
    news:optusnet.com.au... [/ref][/ref]
    repair.

    > > Jackie at legend will prbably take a zero off the end.[/ref][/ref]

    Legend Camera Repairs in the Dymocks building at George Street Sydney

    Miro Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast