Professional Web Applications Themes

Questions about Flash in a website - Macromedia Flash

Hello; I have never used Flash on a website, so sorry if this is an ultra stupid bunch of questions. I want to use a Flash banner/logo (450 x 50) on the top of all my web-pages. My concern is that not everyone has Flash. Questions: Can I load a .GIF version of my logo "under" the flash? So, if a user does not have Flash, or is filtering Flash files, they will be able to see the non-animated version of my logo? Also, this way a graphic loads up right away. What is the HTML for this? What errors ...

  1. #1

    Default Questions about Flash in a website

    Hello;
    I have never used Flash on a website, so sorry if this is an ultra stupid
    bunch of questions.

    I want to use a Flash banner/logo (450 x 50) on the top of all my web-pages.
    My concern is that not everyone has Flash.

    Questions:
    Can I load a .GIF version of my logo "under" the flash? So, if a user does
    not have Flash, or is filtering Flash files, they will be able to see the
    non-animated version of my logo? Also, this way a graphic loads up right
    away. What is the HTML for this?

    What errors do users get when they view a page with Flash when their browser
    does not support it? I don't want to sugges they download Flash, but I don't
    want to give the user an error.

    What % of users can view flash?

    Thanks!

    Tommy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Questions about Flash in a website

    Hi
    Without having to use a whole lot of slow loading browser identification
    code, the best method is to give your site visitors a choice of entering the
    flash site, or a non-flash site.

    Build your non flash site in straight up web standard stuff, IE: html,
    gifs,jpgs and pngs. Be sparing in your use of code. If you want a good
    navigation bar, you can do all that with html and a bit of JavaScript that
    isn't to taxing.

    Once you have the sites built, put your link to them on your entrance page
    (index, cover whatever)
    People in general love having the choice.

    For the most part, flash is pretty standard these days and the blockage
    against it is usually ocx file blocking from firewalls.

    You can build both sites at eth same time by starting with teh Flash site
    first, then copy it, then strip out all the flash elements and replace them
    with your standard images which include animated gifs for where you want
    animations. Be aware that animated gifs are heavier than flash and slower to
    load though, so be sparing.

    hope this helps
    cheers
    news:0hu_a.146992$4UE.33492news01.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...
    :
[...]

    googly Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks. I have thought about that. The problem is that I don't really have
    a flash version of my site - the only difference is in the "flash" version
    the logo is dynamic to give the page a bit of life. It has nothing to do
    with the functionality or content.

    Instead of a .gif that is there now, I want a Flash file for people that
    have Flash, and the Gif for people that do not.

    I was thinking if there was a way to put the .Gif in a table (as a
    background, for example) and then I could put the Flash ontop. My concern
    is how browsers that can't or don't work with Flash will handle the Flash.
    Is there a way to embed the Flash so someone with Flash can see it, and
    someone without won't get an error? They simply won't see it?

    news:hxu_a.179872$hOa.17966news02.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...

    Tommy Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you thank you thank you thank you. I can use the JavaScript to detect
    Flash. Then, in the same page (without using redirect) I can show the FLASH
    is there is flash, and the Gif is there is none. That's great!

    Thanks again!

    "S. Elliott (timberfish.com)" <myemailisprivate.com> wrote in message
    news:afv_a.378$%d3.43378928newssvr21.news.prodigy .com...
    > Yes, you can load a GIF if they don't have Flash. Use this detection
    script
    > (one of the best out there).
    >
    > [url]http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/detection/moockfpi/[/url]
    >
    > Here are the statistics on Flash player usage...

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetra[/url]
    tion.html

    > --
    > Shane Elliott
    > [url]www.timberfish.com[/url]
    > [url]www.friesontheside.com[/url]
    >

    > "Tommy" <thewho.com> wrote in message
    > news:0hu_a.146992$4UE.33492news01.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...
    > > Hello;
    > > I have never used Flash on a website, so sorry if this is an ultra
    stupid
    > > bunch of questions.
    > >
    > > I want to use a Flash banner/logo (450 x 50) on the top of all my
    > web-pages.
    > > My concern is that not everyone has Flash.
    > >
    > > Questions:
    > > Can I load a .GIF version of my logo "under" the flash? So, if a user
    > does
    > > not have Flash, or is filtering Flash files, they will be able to see
    the
    > > non-animated version of my logo? Also, this way a graphic loads up
    right
    > > away. What is the HTML for this?
    > >
    > > What errors do users get when they view a page with Flash when their
    > browser
    > > does not support it? I don't want to sugges they download Flash, but I
    > don't
    > > want to give the user an error.
    > >
    > > What % of users can view flash?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    Tommy Guest

  5. #5

    You're welcome.

    --
    Shane Elliott
    [url]www.timberfish.com[/url]
    [url]www.friesontheside.com[/url]

    news:vJv_a.147212$4UE.91161news01.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...

    S. Elliott \(timberfish.com\) Guest