Professional Web Applications Themes

Questions concerning color management - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Hello, I have a couple questions concerning color profiles, on the screen of my monitor the colors look fantastic but when I print the picture the colors are 'washed out'. I tried a million settings but I just can't get it right! I have a Canon i950 and a Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454, I calibrated my screen with Adobe Gamma. There are a couple of places where you can choose a color profile, that's the confusing part for me. First, you can chose a color profile within the printer properties under color management. Which should I chose? Should the ...

  1. #1

    Default Questions concerning color management

    Hello,

    I have a couple questions concerning color profiles, on the screen of my
    monitor the colors look fantastic but when I print the picture the colors
    are 'washed out'. I tried a million settings but I just can't get it right!
    I have a Canon i950 and a Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454, I calibrated my
    screen with Adobe Gamma.
    There are a couple of places where you can choose a color profile, that's
    the confusing part for me.

    First, you can chose a color profile within the printer properties under
    color management. Which should I chose? Should the color profile be the same
    as the one you chose within Photoshop itself or doesn't it matter because
    Photoshop overwrites these settings?
    Second, in Photoshop you can chose a RGB workingspace, which one to chose
    there? Should I chose Adobe RGB (1998) or sRGB or monitor RGB (which I
    created with Adobe Gamma).
    And last, which printing settings should I use? Under printing preferences
    you can set your color adjusments on manual. You can chose to turn icm on,
    if you turn it on does it then use the color profile you defined in printing
    properties?

    Thanx in advance!
    Sebastiaan_IJssennagger@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Questions concerning color management

    I would start by going through the steps at:
    <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm>

    While you are at that site check out workflow suggestions he has for good color managment.

    Gary
    Gary_Hummell@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I had the exact same problem and I too was confused by all the advice.

    The thing which improved matters a lot for me, was setting "Proof Setup" [View menu] to correspond to my printer. Why they say "proof" instead of "printer" or "output", I don't know.

    You might like to try that. I am getting quite reasonable results now.
    Colin_Walls@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanx for you advice, I've tried different setup's but without the results I was hoping for. Their seems to be little diference between the different color profiles. It's not just one color that is not right but all the colors, the picture as a hole is bad; washed out colors and almost no contrast.
    Could it be that the ink is not right, when I look at the yellow catridge I can look right through it as with the rest of the colors accept for the black.
    Sebastiaan_IJssennagger@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    One important thing to make sure, is that you are only colour correcting once.

    When printing from Photoshop, you have a choice (using Print with Preview to set colour management choices) as to where the colour correction happens.

    Firstly, in Photoshop, you set the destination colour space.

    If you select "Printer Colour Management", then Photoshop will send the data to your printer without correction, and you need to specify the profile in the printer driver.

    If you select the printer/paper profile in Photoshop, then you must set the driver to NOT use any profile at all, otherwise it will double correct.

    Using the Proof Setup, will allow you to view the image when corrected using the profile selected, and does have value to get an idea of what will print out on the printer.

    And the yellow ink will look smei transparent - this is normal for inkjet printer inks.
    Klaas_Visser@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Colin - it says proof because it is for onscreen proofing, or hard (print) proofing.

    It normally has nothing to do with your desktop printer, and should only be necessary when using your desktop printer to produce proofs of another device (like an offset printer).

    Sebastian - yes, it is a matter of using the correct profile for your printer/paper.
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Chris:

    Not sure what the difference is between printing on my inkjet and getting a hard proof ...

    In any case, when I was getting pale, washed out prints, I wasted a lot of paper/ink trying different settings until I stumbled on this. It seemed logical that, as I have a well-known printer [Epson 1200], I should be able to easily tell PS about it and get colour management working.
    Colin_Walls@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Sebastien, the main issue here is the different methods you are using. When viewing through your monitor you are viewing in RGB. Chances are your printer is printing in CMYK. RGB is light and based on subtractive colour whereas CMYK is ink based on additive colour. The RGB gamut is huge compared to the CMYK gamut. I suggest before you print, convert your images to CMYK for a realistic look at how they wil print, then do the colour corrections in CMYK. Remember CMYK is the reverse of RGB when making adjustments.
    Colin_E_Clarke@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Just be aware that desktop inkjet printers (as the OP mentioned a Canon i950) are RGB devices, as far as Photoshop is concerned. The driver will take the RGB data, and internally convert to however the ink system is setup (some are four colour, some are six colour). Sending a desktop inkjet printer CMYK data will result in not very pretty results.
    Klaas_Visser@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Printing on your inkjet doesn't involve a press profile, just the inkjet profile.

    Local printing: doent profile -> inkjet profile

    Hard proofing: doent profile -> press profile -> inkjet profile
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Thanx for all the advice!
    This is what I've done so far: I deselected every colorprofile whithin the printerdriver, I'm doing al the color tweaking with PhotoShop.
    I'm proofing my prints with the colorprofile provided by canon. When I'm satisfied with the result I send it to the printer. Every time the colors are vibrant and full of contrast on the screen but when I print them they come out dull and very low on contrast. I'm getting desperate! :(

    Could it be that my printer is just broken?
    Sebastiaan_IJssennagger@adobeforums.com Guest