Professional Web Applications Themes

Quick CSS question - HTML & CSS

Hi, I have a css file that I used when building my template. Now that I'm building additional pages from the template, do I edit the same css file or do I need a new one. Will it work if I just give the celld in the new page a unique id. Thanks David...

  1. #1

    Default Quick CSS question

    Hi, I have a css file that I used when building my template.
    Now that I'm building additional pages from the template, do I edit the same
    css file or do I need a new one. Will it work if I just give the celld in
    the new page a unique id.

    Thanks
    David

    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Quick CSS question

    You just edit the same CSS file as the template will make the CSS link in
    the child doents relative to it's location.

    Not sure what you mean by: "Will it work if I just give the celld in the new
    page a unique id."

    HTH

    --
    << Tim >>
    --

    "David" <drosssi.rr.com> wrote in message
    | Hi, I have a css file that I used when building my template.
    | Now that I'm building additional pages from the template, do I edit the
    same
    | css file or do I need a new one. Will it work if I just give the celld in
    | the new page a unique id.
    |
    | Thanks
    | David

    Tim L Guest

  3. #3

    I'm trying to stack a few DIV items on my page:

    [url]http://www.dorseygraphics.com/toolbar_1a/[/url]

    And they seem to be overlapping.

    Here's a link to the css:

    [url]http://www.dorseygraphics.com/css/styles.css[/url]

    I just want my 3 DIV layers to stack, in stead of overlap. Please help if
    you can.

    Thanks,

    --------------------S:confused;

    spdorsey Guest

  4. #4

    If you want them to stack, then just put them one after the other in the
    code, and don't use any positioning on them at all.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "spdorsey" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to stack a few DIV items on my page:
    >
    > [url]http://www.dorseygraphics.com/toolbar_1a/[/url]
    >
    > And they seem to be overlapping.
    >
    > Here's a link to the css:
    >
    > [url]http://www.dorseygraphics.com/css/styles.css[/url]
    >
    > I just want my 3 DIV layers to stack, in stead of overlap. Please help
    > if
    > you can.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --------------------S:confused;

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    Here's the proper link for the CSS

    [url]http://www.dorseygraphics.com/toolbar_1a/css/styles.css[/url]
    spdorsey Guest

  6. #6

    And a given ID must be unique on the page. You have 3 divs named
    "controlsection".

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    The reason they all use the same div name is because they all need to have the same formatting, so there's no reason to rewrite the code for new sections.

    spdorsey Guest

  8. #8

    It's still not working. I altered the code to contain no positioning info, and
    I even created CSS code for each section in stead of recycling it for all 3
    sections. I'm really confused This is an easy thing to do, right?

    -----S

    spdorsey Guest

  9. #9

    You can't do this. If you want them to have the same formatting do it with
    a class not an ID. You cannot have more than one element with the same id
    on any given page.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > The reason they all use the same div name is because they all need to have
    > the same formatting, so there's no reason to rewrite the code for new
    > sections.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  10. #10

    These three divs will be stacked no matter what else is on the page.

    Show me your code, please.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > It's still not working. I altered the code to contain no positioning info,
    > and
    > I even created CSS code for each section in stead of recycling it for all
    > 3
    > sections. I'm really confused This is an easy thing to do, right?
    >
    > -----S

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  11. #11

  12. #12

    You cannot have three elements with the same ID on the same page.

    Change all instance of this -

    #controlSection {

    to this -

    ..controlSection {

    (note the leading period)

    and this -

    to this -

    And now at least your markup will be valid.

    What is it you expect to see when you say it's not working?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  13. #13

    Well,

    I made the changes you suggested. I'm still learning about CSS, and I forgot
    that you can only have one #style on a page at the same time.

    So i changed the # to a . and I got no changes, really. The elements are
    still drawing poorly. They look wrong in Safari & Firefox, and they look REALLY
    wrong in MSIE Windows (who cared what it looks like on MSIE Mac, really - but
    it looks fine there

    There is space between headers on the page. I can fix this by using the
    negative margin tags which appear in the CSS code (they are commented out right
    now), but that is not a clean way to code, right? The clean way would be to get
    rid of the cause of the gaps.

    I'm totally lost on that front.

    By the way, thanks for your help.

    --------------------S

  14. #14

    Consider using this CSS -

    BODY {
    MARGIN: 0;
    padding:0;
    }
    A:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active {
    COLOR: #333333
    }
    #container {
    MARGIN-TOP: 10px;
    FLOAT: right;
    WIDTH: 130px;
    MARGIN-RIGHT: 10px;
    padding:0;
    }
    #container img.head {
    display:block;
    }
    ..controlSection {
    BORDER: #8a8a8a 1px solid;
    BORDER-top: none;
    FONT-SIZE: 10px;
    TEXT-INDENT: 4px;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ebebeb;
    margin-bottom:6px;
    }
    ..controlSection IMG {