Professional Web Applications Themes

Quick IB question - Mac Programming

Where can I find out what all the various options in the attributes pane of the tools window do? And what's the difference between the User Pane and Custom Control in the Carbon advanced controls pallete?...

  1. #1

    Default Quick IB question

    Where can I find out what all the various options in the attributes
    pane of the tools window do? And what's the difference between the User
    Pane and Custom Control in the Carbon advanced controls pallete?
    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Quick IB question

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, John Doe wrote:

    A user pane is actually a specific kind of control (which by default does
    not much, but which can be extended by giving it some callbacks), whereas
    a custom control is exactly that, a custom control that you have written.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>,
    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    > A user pane is actually a specific kind of control (which by default does
    > not much, but which can be extended by giving it some callbacks), whereas
    > a custom control is exactly that, a custom control that you have written.
    >
    > Fred
    >[/ref]

    Thanks, now how do I decide which one to use?
    John Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, John Doe wrote:

    > > A user pane is actually a specific kind of control (which by default does
    > > not much, but which can be extended by giving it some callbacks), whereas
    > > a custom control is exactly that, a custom control that you have written.
    > >
    > > Fred
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks, now how do I decide which one to use?
    >[/ref]
    It really depends what you are trying to do.
    To quote from the headers:
    "User panes have two primary purposes: to allow easy implementation of a
    custom control by the developer, and to provide a generic container for
    embedding other controls.

    In Carbon, with the advent of Carbon-event-based controls, you may
    find it easier to simply write a new control from scratch than to
    customize a user pane control. The set of callbacks provided by the user
    pane will not be extended to support new Control Manager features;
    instead, you should just write a real control."

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>,
    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    > > Thanks, now how do I decide which one to use?
    > >[/ref]
    > It really depends what you are trying to do.
    > To quote from the headers:
    > "User panes have two primary purposes: to allow easy implementation of a
    > custom control by the developer, and to provide a generic container for
    > embedding other controls.
    >
    > In Carbon, with the advent of Carbon-event-based controls, you may
    > find it easier to simply write a new control from scratch than to
    > customize a user pane control. The set of callbacks provided by the user
    > pane will not be extended to support new Control Manager features;
    > instead, you should just write a real control."
    >
    > Fred
    >[/ref]

    I kinda figured that. I was hoping for some guidelines, what you posted
    helps though. As long as I can create an HIView within a user pane,
    since HIView objects created in IB aren't compatible with anything
    under 10.3.

    About my first question, I meant the info window, I was thinking about
    the menu it's in.
    John Guest

  6. #6

    In article <240120041817079891%com>, John Doe
    <com> wrote:

    > > It really depends what you are trying to do.
    > > To quote from the headers:
    > > "User panes have two primary purposes: to allow easy implementation of a
    > > custom control by the developer, and to provide a generic container for
    > > embedding other controls.
    > >
    > > In Carbon, with the advent of Carbon-event-based controls, you may
    > > find it easier to simply write a new control from scratch than to
    > > customize a user pane control. The set of callbacks provided by the user
    > > pane will not be extended to support new Control Manager features;
    > > instead, you should just write a real control."
    > >
    > > Fred
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > I kinda figured that. I was hoping for some guidelines, what you posted
    > helps though. As long as I can create an HIView within a user pane,
    > since HIView objects created in IB aren't compatible with anything
    > under 10.3.
    >
    > About my first question, I meant the info window, I was thinking about
    > the menu it's in.[/ref]

    Also, on the subject of custom controls, there's event based and proc
    ptr based, one asks for a class id the other asks for a CDEF res id.
    I'm thinking I should go with the event based one, but I have no idea
    how to find out the class id. And CDEF resources aren't used in mach-o
    development are they? So what do you use?
    John Guest

  7. #7

    In article <240120042117262564%com>,
    John Doe <com> wrote:

    For a new control, you make up a class ID of the form of
    com.your-company.your-control.

    hth

    meeroh

    Miro Guest