Professional Web Applications Themes

Quick Questions - Macromedia Freehand

Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (Copy and) Paste in Place? I need to copy graphics and have them be able to be pasted "right back" into the same place, perhaps on another layer, or something... Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (ALT+Scale) Scale from Center? I need to be able to click on a graphic and scale it outwards from the center, while constraining the proportions (ALT+SHIFT+Scale)... Any takers? Thanks, jdb...

  1. #1

    Default Quick Questions

    Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (Copy and) Paste in Place? I need to
    copy graphics and have them be able to be pasted "right back" into the same
    place, perhaps on another layer, or something...

    Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (ALT+Scale) Scale from Center? I
    need to be able to click on a graphic and scale it outwards from the center,
    while constraining the proportions (ALT+SHIFT+Scale)...

    Any takers?

    Thanks,

    jdb

    Joel Berry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Quick Questions

    "Joel Berry" <NOSPAMjoel_berrymac.com> wrote in message
    > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (Copy and) Paste in Place? I need
    > copy graphics and have them be able to be pasted "right back" into the
    same
    > place, perhaps on another layer, or something...
    Use the clone command for this it is much easier. If you need to move to a
    new layer just keep the items selected after cloning and in your layer
    palette click on the (unlocked) destination layer. The objects will be moved
    to that new layer. Once you get used to this way of working you will find
    Illy's way to be quite bersome.
    > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (ALT+Scale) Scale from Center
    > need to be able to click on a graphic and scale it outwards from the
    center,
    > while constraining the proportions (ALT+SHIFT+Scale)...
    When I need to scale multiple objects from the center I usually use the
    scale function from the Find and Replace Graphic tool. AFAIK this is the
    only way to scale multiple objects from their center in FH. Which s
    severely when compared to the way AI can do it.

    mg

    Martin Gamache Guest

  3. #3

    Joel Berry wrote:
    > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (Copy and) Paste in Place? I need to
    > copy graphics and have them be able to be pasted "right back" into the same
    > place, perhaps on another layer, or something...
    Edit>Modify>Clone (one step vs. two)

    > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (ALT+Scale) Scale from Center? I
    > need to be able to click on a graphic and scale it outwards from the center,
    > while constraining the proportions (ALT+SHIFT+Scale)...
    Hold down the option key while scaling with the group handles. When
    scaling using the Transform palette it by default grows from the center out.

    > Any takers?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > jdb

    Rich Hudgins Guest

  4. #4

    Joel Berry wrote:
    > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (Copy and) Paste in Place? I need to
    > copy graphics and have them be able to be pasted "right back" into the same
    > place, perhaps on another layer, or something...
    FH doesn't have a 'Paste in Place', although we've been asking for it for
    ages.

    You can use 'Paste In Front' and 'Paste Behind' a selected object. The
    commands are in Edit > Special but I always set up custom keyboard shortcuts
    or toolbar icons for these operations. These commands are very handy for
    pasting objects into groups in the desired stacking order. Note that they
    paste into pasteboard position, not page position, so you can't paste into
    the same place on a different page with these two commands.

    To copy to an empty layer, clone object(s) and click on layer name (this is
    controlled by a Preference).
    > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (ALT+Scale) Scale from Center? I
    > need to be able to click on a graphic and scale it outwards from the center,
    > while constraining the proportions (ALT+SHIFT+Scale)...
    Yes, Control+Scale (Mac) scales from center, Shift+Scale constrains
    proportions, Shift+Control+Scale scales from center, constraining
    proportions. Be aware that the Stroke/Fill/Contents checkboxes in the
    Transform/Scale Panel control the Scale tool.

    You could also play with the Transform Handles, which I personally dislike.
    Turn them on and off in Preferences.

    I don't know the PC equivalent modifiers. I thought the modifier info should
    be easily found in FHMX Help files ... but guess what ... not a peep on the
    page about 'Transformation Tools'. How new users are supposed to learn this
    software with incomplete Help files is beyond me.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    I'm on a PC (I know, I know) right now... I am trying ALT+Scale with control
    handles, but it just makes a copy (not to mention, scales from the
    upper-left corner, as opposed to from the center)...

    "Rich Hudgins" <richnospam-weiss-associates.com> wrote in message

    > Joel Berry wrote:
    > > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (Copy and) Paste in Place? I
    need to
    > > copy graphics and have them be able to be pasted "right back" into the
    same
    > > place, perhaps on another layer, or something...
    >
    > Edit>Modify>Clone (one step vs. two)
    >

    > > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (ALT+Scale) Scale from Center? I
    > > need to be able to click on a graphic and scale it outwards from the
    center,
    > > while constraining the proportions (ALT+SHIFT+Scale)...
    >
    > Hold down the option key while scaling with the group handles. When
    > scaling using the Transform palette it by default grows from the center
    out.

    > > Any takers?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > jdb

    Joel Berry Guest

  6. #6

    The only way I have found (just recently) is to avoid using the TRANSFORM
    tool and just fall back to the old "scale" tool, click on the center, and
    hold down SHIFT while dragging out from the center. Oh well, it works...

    "Joel Berry" <NOSPAMjoel_berrymac.com> wrote in message
    > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (Copy and) Paste in Place? I need
    > copy graphics and have them be able to be pasted "right back" into the
    same
    > place, perhaps on another layer, or something...
    >
    > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (ALT+Scale) Scale from Center? I
    > need to be able to click on a graphic and scale it outwards from the
    center,
    > while constraining the proportions (ALT+SHIFT+Scale)...
    >
    > Any takers?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > jdb

    Joel Berry Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks, Judy. This works... it isn't as pretty as the transform tool is
    supposed to make things, but it works...

    "Judy Arndt" <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote in message
    > Joel Berry wrote:
    >
    > > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (Copy and) Paste in Place? I
    need to
    > > copy graphics and have them be able to be pasted "right back" into the
    same
    > > place, perhaps on another layer, or something...
    >
    > FH doesn't have a 'Paste in Place', although we've been asking for it for
    > ages.
    >
    > You can use 'Paste In Front' and 'Paste Behind' a selected object. The
    > commands are in Edit > Special but I always set up custom keyboard
    shortcuts
    > or toolbar icons for these operations. These commands are very handy for
    > pasting objects into groups in the desired stacking order. Note that they
    > paste into pasteboard position, not page position, so you can't paste into
    > the same place on a different page with these two commands.
    >
    > To copy to an empty layer, clone object(s) and click on layer name (this
    is
    > controlled by a Preference).
    >
    > > Is there an equivalent to Illustrator's (ALT+Scale) Scale from Center? I
    > > need to be able to click on a graphic and scale it outwards from the
    center,
    > > while constraining the proportions (ALT+SHIFT+Scale)...
    >
    > Yes, Control+Scale (Mac) scales from center, Shift+Scale constrains
    > proportions, Shift+Control+Scale scales from center, constraining
    > proportions. Be aware that the Stroke/Fill/Contents checkboxes in the
    > Transform/Scale Panel control the Scale tool.
    >
    > You could also play with the Transform Handles, which I personally
    dislike.
    > Turn them on and off in Preferences.
    >
    > I don't know the PC equivalent modifiers. I thought the modifier info
    should
    > be easily found in FHMX Help files ... but guess what ... not a peep on
    the
    > page about 'Transformation Tools'. How new users are supposed to learn
    this
    > software with incomplete Help files is beyond me.
    >
    > Judy Arndt

    Joel Berry Guest

  8. #8

    Joel,
    Another feature of the Scale tool (and other transform tools) is that if you
    tap the Option key once (Mac) while scaling, the view toggles from bounding
    box to path outlines. Another tap and you're back to bounding box.

    Macromedia, add this to the long list of elegant drawing refinements your
    engineers built into FreeHand but your doentation writers managed to
    leave out of online Help.

    Judy Arndt

  9. #9

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 15:22:26 -0600, Judy Arndt <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote:

    > Joel,
    > Another feature of the Scale tool (and other transform tools) is that if
    > you
    > tap the Option key once (Mac) while scaling, the view toggles from
    > bounding
    > box to path outlines. Another tap and you're back to bounding box.

    You can also tap the Alt key for the same feature in Windows.

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2100+/512M

  10. #10

    Judy,

    Maybe you should be writing a manual.

    mg

  11. #11

    Martin Gamache wrote:
    > Maybe you should be writing a manual.
    Heh. Put up or shut up? :-)

    Then I could complain that nobody reads the manual.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:06:55 -0600, Judy Arndt <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote:

    > Then I could complain that nobody reads the manual.
    >
    > Judy Arndt

    Heh. RTFJAM.

    --
    Bill