Professional Web Applications Themes

Quicken 2003 for the Macintosh - Mac Applications & Software

Greetings, Unwisely, I suspect, I decided a few days ago I would make my life more convenient by signing up for electronic banking with Quicken with my bank -- Bank of America, California. I was told to upgrade to 2003, but not 2004, because the bank does not support 2004. This should have been a huge red flag. 2003 is already out of production. I found an old but unregistered copy of 2003 on eBay. Ihad to force an OS 9.2.2 installation on my 8500, because 2003 is incompatible with OS 9.1. That went okay except my slow-but-trusty Iomega external ...

  1. #1

    Default Quicken 2003 for the Macintosh

    Greetings,

    Unwisely, I suspect, I decided a few days ago I would make my life more
    convenient by signing up for electronic banking with Quicken with my
    bank -- Bank of America, California.

    I was told to upgrade to 2003, but not 2004, because the bank does not
    support 2004. This should have been a huge red flag. 2003 is already out
    of production. I found an old but unregistered copy of 2003 on eBay.
    Ihad to force an OS 9.2.2 installation on my 8500, because 2003 is
    incompatible with OS 9.1. That went okay except my slow-but-trusty
    Iomega external USB CD-RW drive stopped working. ($100 down the drain!)

    I've received a great deal of contradictory information from several
    different Quicken and Bank of American tech support reps. Finally, I
    talked with an apparently knowledgeable Bank of America tech support rep
    who happens to be a Macintosh user. She said Quicken 2003 for the
    Macintosh is very different from the Windows version. In particular, she
    said, it has very limited electronic banking capabilities. She said that
    Quicken 2004 is equally limited in this regard. I inferred that Quicken
    2003 and 2004 are half-assed ports from Windows.

    All the other tech support reps at Quicken and Bank of America seemed to
    take a different view of the matter, but I now suspect they knew nothing
    about the difference between Quicken 2003 for the Macintosh, versus the
    Windows product.

    Is there an alternate product more friendly to Macintosh users? Ideally,
    it would import Quicken data files.

    Please advise.

    Best regards, and have a nice day.

    Tim Miller

    Timothy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Quicken 2003 for the Macintosh

    In article <com>,
    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    Sadly, Intuit seems to give very low priority to Mac. The Mac version of
    their Canadian tax program, for example, cannot import files from the PC
    version, is missing a number of features, and costs more. That's why I
    ended up running the PC version under VirtualPC.
    --
    .... Al Quirt ... Ottawa Canada ...
    .... Please remove anti-spam BIRD for email replies ...

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    You could take a look at Moneydance <http://www.moneydance.com/>.

    I converted from Quicken 2003 several months ago, and have been very
    pleased, especially given my feelings about Intuit in general and
    Quicken Mac in particular!

    Their web site is down at the moment; they were caught up in the
    hurricane on the east coast. Try again in a couple of days.

    I'm running OS X. I think you may need OS X for Moneydance (can't check
    at the moment).

    Good Luck!
    -Dave

    --
    "Sometimes what seems to be enough smoke to guarantee a robust
    fire is actually just a cloud of dust from a passing bandwagon."

  4. #4

    In article <bksfco$1qd$39.187.111>, David Emme <com>
    wrote:

    I've been having a bit of a horror story trying to get my Quicken
    98 data into Quicken 2002. I finally got Q02 to recognize the QIF file
    but I still have lots of work to do to get it in exactly the same state
    as the Q98 file. So I'm very interested in anything that might be a good
    alternative.
    Did you import investment data from Quicken and, if so, how well did
    Moneydance handle it? Some comments on VersionTracker suggested it's not
    that good at importing a long investment history. I don't want to have
    to re-enter this type of data manually so if Moneydance can't handle it,
    I might be forced to struggle on with Q02.
    Also, does it export files that can be read by Quicken, in case I
    try it out and decide I want to go back?
    I tried to access the web site for more information, but as you
    said, it's down.

    --
    ads123
    ads123 Guest

  5. #5

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    ads123 <invalid> wrote:

    I imported from Quicken 2003. The only problems I had revolved around
    the fact that I had previously truncated my Quicken data, and so I had
    some transactions which only had "one side" (the other "side" of the
    transaction having been in a no-longer-existing credit card account, for
    example). Moneydance is more strictly double-entry bookkeeping than
    Quicken, and so it "made up" the other side of these transactions so
    that everything balanced. That wasn't a problem once I figured out what
    was going on. I just created a category called "Black Hole" and moved
    all of the made-up entries into it. Since they're all old, they don't
    show up in any current reports or such.

    My investment transactions ported over just fine, though it may not have
    been that "long".

    From the Moneydance Help file:

    * Importing Files from Quicken to Moneydance
    Transferring financial data from another application into Moneydance
    requires that the data first be exported from the other application into
    a QIF file.

    * Many financial applications have the ability to export their data to
    QIF files. This export function is usually located under the File menu
    of programs like Quicken or Money.

    * Once the data has been exported into a QIF file, use the
    Tools->Import->Quicken Interchange Format (QIF) menu to open the QIF
    import dialog in Moneydance. Use this dialog to import the QIF file that
    was exported from the other application.

    * Importing a QIF file into Moneydance will automatically create the
    categories and accounts that were included in the QIF file. It will also
    add all of the transactions from the QIF file into Moneydance.

    * Due to limitations in the QIF file format, it is possible that some
    transactions (especially transfers between accounts) may have been
    duplicated during the import process. If the balances in Moneydance and
    your other application do no match up exactly then it may be necessary
    to find and remove a duplicate transaction or two.

    Yes. I worried about that too. MD will export into QIF, Tab-delimited,
    or Moneydance XML.

    -Dave

  6. #6

    In article <bkt6tc$m08$39.187.20>, David Emme <com>
    wrote:

    Black hole, indeed. A good description of where the money goes. :-)
    Now that you mention it, I think that Q02 did this with my QIF file
    from Q98. There were a lot of early transactions in the bank account
    where money was transferred to the investment account. These aren't in
    the current Q98 file because I had truncated it to a later date like you
    did.
    I handled this by doing "Save A Copy" with a start date the same as
    that in my current Q98 file. It erased all the earlier made-up banking
    transactions but (I think) left the investment account intact. I still
    haven't gone over it in detail so I'm not sure it all came through
    accurately.
    I take it Moneydance won't let you erase your Black Hole
    transactions like this? What happens if you want to reduce the size of
    the file by truncating it to a certain date range? Do you lose the
    earlier investment transactions as well?
    In Quicken, I usually keep three or four years of banking, cash and
    credit card data in the main file, but I also like to export a separate
    "stand-alone" file for each year. Can MD do this?

    --
    ads123
    ads123 Guest

  7. #7

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    ads123 <invalid> wrote:

    MD will let you export transactions in a date range of your choice to
    the formats I mentioned earlier, but I don't think (I haven't tried it)
    that it will trim the working file by doing so.

    However, MD is still under active development and new features are being
    added regularly, so they will probably get around to that eventually.
    (I assume that users would be clamoring for this eventually...)

    -Dave

  8. #8

    In article <bkvk7r$ujg$39.186.74>, David Emme <com>
    wrote:

    > MD will let you export transactions in a date range of your choice to
    > the formats I mentioned earlier, but I don't think (I haven't tried it)
    > that it will trim the working file by doing so.
    >
    > However, MD is still under active development and new features are being
    > added regularly, so they will probably get around to that eventually.
    > (I assume that users would be clamoring for this eventually...)[/ref]

    I'd say so. It would be a major pain to have to start all over with
    a new file just to pare it down. But I guess file size is less of an
    issue in these days of mega-GB hard drives. I have five years of data in
    my current file and it's only 4MB.
    I'll keep an eye on MD, but for now I think I'll give Q02 a chance.

    --
    ads123
    ads123 Guest