Professional Web Applications Themes

Quicken/Mac vs. Quicken/Windows - Mac Applications & Software

Hey: Is there anyone out there with experience with both Quicken for Mac and Quicken for Windows (2002, 2003, 2004) who might comment on the significant differences between the programs. I'm told that Quicken/Win has much better tools for tracking investments, including accounting for mergers, spin-offs, etc., as well as a 401(k) tracker, but I'd like to hear some real-world experiences with those functions, as well as other insights people might hve about how Quicken/Win is better than Quicken/Mac. I'm a bit annoyed at the fact that Quicken/Mac seems to improve little each year, about its lackluster support for online ...

  1. #1

    Default Quicken/Mac vs. Quicken/Windows

    Hey:

    Is there anyone out there with experience with both Quicken for Mac
    and Quicken for Windows (2002, 2003, 2004) who might comment on the
    significant differences between the programs. I'm told that
    Quicken/Win has much better tools for tracking investments, including
    accounting for mergers, spin-offs, etc., as well as a 401(k) tracker,
    but I'd like to hear some real-world experiences with those functions,
    as well as other insights people might hve about how Quicken/Win is
    better than Quicken/Mac.

    I'm a bit annoyed at the fact that Quicken/Mac seems to improve little
    each year, about its lackluster support for online brokerage accounts,
    and its clunky interface. Now that I've got a cheap PC, I'm thinking
    of switching to Quicken/Win.

    I may not be able to post until next Tuesday, though I will be
    reading, so thanks in advance for any insights anyone offers.

    - geoff

    --
    Visit http://PostingUp.net
    All college basketball, no Andy Katz

  2. #2

    Default Re: Quicken/Mac vs. Quicken/Windows

    Quicken for Mac has a one missing feature that I needed: You can download
    only one account from any one financial institution. For example, we have
    three credit cards from CapitalOne and three investment accounts at Charles
    Schwab, but if you try to enable online downloading at the "other" accounts
    you get an error that says you've already enabled this institution, and we
    won't let you do it again.

    But on the bright side, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee. I bought mine
    at CompUSA, and when I took it back the cashier said no. But then I showed
    her the side of the box where it said "return to your place of purchase" and
    I got my money back.

    Tim Guest

  3. #3

    >Hey:

    I've used both versions.

    Quicken for Windows has more features and overall is a superior product.
    Quicken for Macintosh is powerful, and you should be happy that Intuit is even
    releasing Mac versions.

    Yes more banks that support direct connect, support the Windows platform. Go
    under the online banking area of the Intuit.com website to find all the banks
    that support Quicken direct connect for mac or Windows. The list for Windows
    is 3 times as large.

    You will get more out of the Windows version. Reports/Graphs is better,
    find/replace is better, backup is better one can backup his/her data files onto
    multiple floppy disks without any manual work. On the Mac if a file is 2 big
    to fit on a floppy, one needs to manually backup certain years, or just backup
    to a Zip disk (what I do).

    IE is built into the program on the Windows platform version 98 or better. On
    the Mac the program exports you to your default brower (not quite the same as
    having the browser built into the software).

    These are just a few of the improvements.
    --------------
    Vote George W. Bush for President in 2004!
    Vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for California Governor in 2003!

    Crucifyself03 Guest

  4. #4

    >Quicken for Mac has a one missing feature that I needed: You can download

    Yeah you are right. Thanks for informing me not to open another credit card
    with First USA. For a moment I was going to do it, but it appears that I would
    not be able to download transactions for both cards.

    However you cant beat the fact that First USA does not charge for Quicken
    Direct Connect...