Professional Web Applications Themes

Quicken98 to Q2002 problems - Mac Applications & Software

dotlyc <ca> wrote:   Sounds like the file is corrupt. If you can't rebuild the index files and the data files, then you are out of luck. Sometimes (for a fee) Intuit will fix the files and send them back. This means letting some stranger have your personal information and all your accounting data for several years. In this day and age, I'd be against that. Good luck with the import. -barto edu David Barto...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Quicken98 to Q2002 problems

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    Sounds like the file is corrupt. If you can't rebuild the index files
    and the data files, then you are out of luck. Sometimes (for a fee)
    Intuit will fix the files and send them back. This means letting some
    stranger have your personal information and all your accounting data
    for several years. In this day and age, I'd be against that.

    Good luck with the import.

    -barto
    edu
    David Barto
    David Guest

  2. #2

    In article <1g0ibuo.66c68il8c5kgN%edu>,
    edu (David Barto) wrote:

    > Sounds like the file is corrupt. If you can't rebuild the index files
    > and the data files, then you are out of luck. Sometimes (for a fee)
    > Intuit will fix the files and send them back. This means letting some
    > stranger have your personal information and all your accounting data
    > for several years. In this day and age, I'd be against that.
    >
    > Good luck with the import.
    >
    > -barto
    > edu
    > David Barto[/ref]

    If you still have the Q98 in OS9 can you make another copy of the data
    file and transfer it to the eMac where Q02 was pre-installed. Perhaps
    in moving Q02 to the iBook something didn't copy right.
    Pat Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <columbus.rr.com>,
    Pat VanHorn <rr.com> wrote:

    Yes, I wondered if that was the case. I'll certainly give that a
    try.
    Q02 seems to do a number of strange and disconcerting things,
    including hijacking the Q98 files.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  4. #4

    In article <1g0ibuo.66c68il8c5kgN%edu>,
    edu (David Barto) wrote:

    I finally did manage to get Q02 to accept a copy of the Q98 file,
    but the repeating future-dated items were hopelessly ed up. I
    thought it wouldn't be too much trouble to re-enter them manually so I
    tried to delete them but Q02 kept quitting on me every time. It also
    quit when I tried to launch the Calendar. So I guess something's
    corrupted enough that Q02 won't use it, even though the file continues
    to work fine in Q98.
    One way or another, it looks like it's going to be a lot of work to
    get going in Q02.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  5. #5

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    > I finally did manage to get Q02 to accept a copy of the Q98 file,
    > but the repeating future-dated items were hopelessly ed up. I
    > thought it wouldn't be too much trouble to re-enter them manually so I
    > tried to delete them but Q02 kept quitting on me every time. It also
    > quit when I tried to launch the Calendar. So I guess something's
    > corrupted enough that Q02 won't use it, even though the file continues
    > to work fine in Q98.
    > One way or another, it looks like it's going to be a lot of work to
    > get going in Q02.[/ref]

    My mom had her quicken data file ed up many years ago and it wasn't
    noticed until I tried to send a .qif to my brother to ensure that
    'nothing untowards was going on' and he couldn't open it.

    I spent the better part of one evening re-constructing it by hand.
    Export .qif, split into sections using the Terminal application, and
    the 'vi' editor, and then re-import each section until something broke.
    Fix the broken section. Repeat until all sections are imported.

    It was so broken that some stocks were not listed in the correct
    location, but the QIF had them in old accounts, accounts un-related
    to stocks, etc.

    This is NOT for the faint of heart. Intuit wants $200 to recover the
    file if you want to pay for it. Their recommendation on the phone was
    'Start over.'

    -barto
    barto at ucsd dot edu
    David Guest

  6. #6

    In article <1g1buz4.on9g8e3m6jmgN%edu>,
    edu (David Barto) wrote:
     [/ref]

    I let the problem sit for a couple of weeks while attending to
    other issues. One of the things I discovered for my frustrating efforts
    is that Q02 didn't like the scheduled bill payments in the calendar.
    Today, I made a copy of my Q98 file, stripped out all the future
    payments and tried again. Voila, I got the file into Q02 almost intact.
    The investments look like they need manual tweaking, but the other
    accounts seem to be okay. And I'll have to re-enter all the future
    scheduled payments. But it's progress, of a sort.
    I'm going to run both the old and new versions for awhile, in case
    Q02 finds some other way to jump up and bite me. Tedious.
    In my switch to OSX, this program has given me more trouble than
    just about all other software updates combined.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  7. #7

    In article <Kpu9b.1474$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > I let the problem sit for a couple of weeks while attending to
    > other issues. One of the things I discovered for my frustrating efforts
    > is that Q02 didn't like the scheduled bill payments in the calendar.
    > Today, I made a copy of my Q98 file, stripped out all the future
    > payments and tried again. Voila, I got the file into Q02 almost intact.
    > The investments look like they need manual tweaking, but the other
    > accounts seem to be okay. And I'll have to re-enter all the future
    > scheduled payments. But it's progress, of a sort.
    > I'm going to run both the old and new versions for awhile, in case
    > Q02 finds some other way to jump up and bite me. Tedious.
    > In my switch to OSX, this program has given me more trouble than
    > just about all other software updates combined.[/ref]

    Sorry to follow up my own post, but the last line turned out to be
    truer than I knew. After fiddling around with Q02 for several hours, I
    have to conclude it's hopelessly broken. It simply will not handle
    future transactions.
    If I enter a scheduled transaction, whether it's a single item or a
    recurring item, the next time I load the file, these transactions have
    been duplicated three to five times on each of the dates that were
    specified. Trying to delete the extra transactions crashed the program.
    The next time I launch the program, *all* instances of the transaction I
    tried to delete are gone.
    Has anyone else encountered this? I have had this problem on two
    different machines. I was running OS 2.1.1 when I first started working
    with Q02, but tonight I updated to 10.2.6. and the Quicken problem
    remained the same.
    I also tried reinstalling the program, but it didn't do any good. I
    really need to get this thing working. I'd be willing to buy Q2003, but
    I gather from reports here that it has its own share of problems.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  8. #8

    On 9/16/03 4:19, "dotlyc" wrote:

    >> I let the problem sit for a couple of weeks while attending to
    >> other issues. One of the things I discovered for my frustrating efforts
    >> is that Q02 didn't like the scheduled bill payments in the calendar.
    >> Today, I made a copy of my Q98 file, stripped out all the future
    >> payments and tried again. Voila, I got the file into Q02 almost intact.
    >> The investments look like they need manual tweaking, but the other
    >> accounts seem to be okay. And I'll have to re-enter all the future
    >> scheduled payments. But it's progress, of a sort.
    >> I'm going to run both the old and new versions for awhile, in case
    >> Q02 finds some other way to jump up and bite me. Tedious.
    >> In my switch to OSX, this program has given me more trouble than
    >> just about all other software updates combined.[/ref]
    >
    > Sorry to follow up my own post, but the last line turned out to be
    > truer than I knew. After fiddling around with Q02 for several hours, I
    > have to conclude it's hopelessly broken. It simply will not handle
    > future transactions.
    > If I enter a scheduled transaction, whether it's a single item or a
    > recurring item, the next time I load the file, these transactions have
    > been duplicated three to five times on each of the dates that were
    > specified. Trying to delete the extra transactions crashed the program.
    > The next time I launch the program, *all* instances of the transaction I
    > tried to delete are gone.
    > Has anyone else encountered this? I have had this problem on two
    > different machines. I was running OS 2.1.1 when I first started working
    > with Q02, but tonight I updated to 10.2.6. and the Quicken problem
    > remained the same.
    > I also tried reinstalling the program, but it didn't do any good. I
    > really need to get this thing working. I'd be willing to buy Q2003, but
    > I gather from reports here that it has its own share of problems.[/ref]

    I have been running Q02 for many months now and have had absolutely no
    problems, although I have to say I liked Money 2001 on Windows MUCH better.
    I even converted Money info to QIF and imported the files to Q02. It took a
    bit of tweaking to correct erroneous data from the import process, but after
    that I have had absolutely no problems. Scheduled transactions work fine,
    as do ever other program feature I use. This info isn't going to help you
    with your problems, but I just wanted to let you know there is someone out
    here that is not having problems with the program.

    --
    Chuck Vinson
    Bellevue, NE

    Chuck Guest

  9. #9

    In article <BB8DA051.16F6%net>,
    Chuck Vinson <net> wrote:

    Sigh. I suppose that's good news in a way. It means that if I ever
    get it working, it should be okay. I suspect there's something in my
    existing file that Q02 just doesn't like. I may just have to start over
    with a new file in Q02. I don't mind not having the historical record of
    the regular accounts like banking, cash etc. (I can save versions that I
    can access in Q98) but I hate losing the history of my investments.
    I may try using a backup copy of the Q98 file to erase all the
    regular registers, leaving just the investment info, and see if that can
    be imported into Q02.
    I must say that Quicken doesn't make it easy to get help. They
    charge even for email support and their web site wasn't all that
    helpful. I tried one troubleshooting procedure that they had posted
    there, but it didn't do any good either.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  10. #10

    On 9/17/03 10:08, "dotlyc" wrote:

    > Sigh. I suppose that's good news in a way. It means that if I ever
    > get it working, it should be okay. I suspect there's something in my
    > existing file that Q02 just doesn't like. I may just have to start over
    > with a new file in Q02. I don't mind not having the historical record of
    > the regular accounts like banking, cash etc. (I can save versions that I
    > can access in Q98) but I hate losing the history of my investments.
    > I may try using a backup copy of the Q98 file to erase all the
    > regular registers, leaving just the investment info, and see if that can
    > be imported into Q02.
    > I must say that Quicken doesn't make it easy to get help. They
    > charge even for email support and their web site wasn't all that
    > helpful. I tried one troubleshooting procedure that they had posted
    > there, but it didn't do any good either.[/ref]

    It is a shame, but MS Money is much more user friendly than Quicken. It
    really surprised me when I read that Quicken had a larger market share than
    Money. Good luck to you...

    Chuck Guest