Professional Web Applications Themes

Quicktime Flashes - Macromedia Director Basics

I'm having the exact same problem on a current project. I too tried the first frame trick and I noticed you said that it worked "fair enough." My results are not very good and I'm not too happy with it. Is there no way to get rid of this flashing? It's very annoying too:(...

  1. #1

    Default Re:Quicktime Flashes

    finfin webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    I'm having/had the same exact problem. I was able to clear it up using locV and locH (I tried one or the other, then when it didn't work I moved the .mov even further offstage at first). It seems to work fine, except I still get the flash occasionally. When I build and test a projector though, it goes away. At least, it hasn't appeared in a projector yet. And I have a transition in the movie. Still, it'd be nice to have a clear and solid fix for this. Anybody know what causes it? Is it possible that we're seeing part of the buffering process?

    prw

    prw webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Update on my situation. I left the movie starting way offstage (using both locV and locH), but when I recompressed my clip at a lower frame rate the problem went away completely. Now I have to reshoot this intro (to include advertising for the customer), and so I'll be trying several different codecs and frame rates on that one as well. The first clip was encoded at 30fps; the last one, just to see what it would do, was at 15fps. I've played it over and over in the project, and created three or four projectors with this lower-frame-rate clip, and haven't seen the problem since. And this is on two different machines.

    I'd dearly love it if Macromedia could figure out why this is happening.

  5. #5

    prw,

    thanks for the suggestion, which I tried and it worked a bit better but it still flashed a little but more importantly, it ed up the sound!? We tried all sorts of things in the settings but to no avial. Then we came on the idea of placing the first frame of the quicktime (it fades in over a span) as a sprite segment and had it fade to 100% and then at the last frame we put the quicktime in a single frame sitting on top of the "fading in" segment. Now even though the movie might still flash, you dont see it at all and this way I don't have to position it off the stage and then I've been using the movietime to hold it in place until it is ready to move on. This is a very simple workaround for the flashing problem and it works like a gem! :)

    Hope this helps.

    finfin webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    while i'm here

    does anyone know why an mpeg1 movie wont play from the cd-rom projector on a pc?

    on some machines its fine and others it isnt......the mac has no probs!

    will it be because quicktime is'nt installed?

    or is it better to use ' .mov's '........and will u still need to install qt.?

    rik

    rikkyboy webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    finfin,

    Thanks for the new suggestion. My first fix only fixes that one Quicktime movie; it doesn't work on the others. I've tried your suggestion on another one, and it seems to work. I'm going to apply it to all my Quicktime content and create a projector and see if it works.

    As many people as are having trouble with this, you'd think Macromedia would chime in. I'm finding solutions to other problems, but this one keeps coming back again and again and again. And it's getting old (anybody from Macromedia paying attention here???). I'd rather dumb down the look of a project as to have something as embarassing as that flash before every friggin' movie.

  8. #8

    hello prw,

    glad to here it worked..........and i totally agree these OLD problems are very persistent and annoying....
    HELLO MACROMEDIA sort it out.......!!!!!!

  9. #9

    AND.......now it's not working again. And Macromedia's solution doesn't work either. I never get the same thing twice; it's either flashing a gray screen, or it flashes a frame from the movie no matter what I try.

    Would you believe that even with the Quicktime sprite offstage completely that it STILL flashes in the normal position before appearing offtstage? What kind of ed up crap is this?????

    prw webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  10. #10

    Default Re:Quicktime Flashes, round 4,738

    Thought I'd go back and try Macromedia's solution one more time, just to make sure it wasn't me, and it works about half the time. And the half it does work, the sound is ed up. And it was fine before. And it's STILL flashing a frame in the normal position, AFTER I've moved the QT sprite about a lightyear offstage. Figure that one out.

    There HAS to be a solution that works ALL THE TIME for this problem. I suppose I could turn DTS off and overlay a black screen in front of every blasted movie for a few frames, but this will be playing on older machines as well.

    Really disgusting. Great product, but gaping holes like this aren't nice.

    prw webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  11. #11

    Have you tried your file on a different computer? I can't see a
    reference to the computer or operating system that you're using. You
    may be seeing a problem with the video card and/or the drivers for that
    card.

    From your description it sounds like the screen isn't refreshing
    correctly. Are you sure that you have the QT member set to be direct to
    stage?

    --
    Rob
    _______

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/[/url]
    Rob Dillon Guest

  12. #12

    Here's an alternate solution. Place the QT sprite in a sprite channel
    behind all of the other sprites. I use channel 5, and I start the
    background sprite in channel 10. Set the QT member to not direct to
    stage. Spread the QT sprite across several frame, use at least 3.

    On the QT sprite itself place a simple behavior that will start the QT
    sprite playing, unless you want to use manual control.

    -------
    property thisSprite -- the QT sprite number
    property thisMember -- the QT member
    property thisDuration -- the length of the QT member
    property firstFrame -- the starting frame number of this sprite's extent
    property lastFrame -- the last frame number of this sprite's extent

    on beginSprite me
    thisSprite = me.spriteNum
    thisMember = sprite(thisSprite).member.name
    thisDuration = member(thisMember).duration
    firstFrame = sprite(thisSprite).startFrame
    lastFrame = sprite(thisSprite).endFrame
    end

    on prepareFrame me
    if the frame = firstFrame + 1 then
    member(thisMember).directToStage = 1
    sprite(thisSprite).movieRate = 1
    -- if you want the QT to start automatically
    end if
    if the frame = lastFrame then
    go to the frame
    if sprite(thisSprite).movieTime >= thisDuration then
    sprite(thisSprite).movieRate = 0
    member(thisMember).directToStage = 0
    go to the frame + 1
    end if
    end if
    end
    ------------

    If you place the QT sprite behind the background and set it's member to
    not direct to stage then when the QT sprite opens it will be masked by
    the background elements. Since it's not direct to stage, it won't
    disrupt the drawing of the stage.

    When the playback head gets to the second frame, the direct to stage
    property will be changed to TRUE, by now the QT player has started up
    and is ready to play the video. Changing the direct to stage property
    will force the QT sprite to punch through all of the overlaying sprite
    channels and it will begin to play.

    The playback head will hold on the sprite's last frame until the QT is
    finished playing. When the play finishes, the QT member's direct to
    stage property is turned off and it disappears behind the background
    again, the QT sprite is stopped, and the playback head continues on.

    This should work for you.
    Rob Dillon Guest

  13. #13

    This should work for you.

    With the exception of a couple of things I had to pay close attention to, it seems to work beautifully. I can't see any reason whatsoever why it shouldn't, anyway. I've been looking hard at the DTS option over the past week or so, but didn't think about applying a behaviour directly to the Quicktime member in order to control it. Very good idea.

    First thing was that if I let the script turn DTS on right away, I still see the flashing (this time it's just a gray screen). I added a couple of lines to your script that made it wait several frames longer before emerging from behind the black background, and that seems to make a difference. Hard to believe that it takes that long to "settle in", but it does. I ended up making the Quicktime member span 45 frames to do this, but that's ok. Thankfully, I control my own A/V content so if I know ahead of time that this will be a problem from now on, I can add a second or so of black at the beginning of each movie file.

    Second thing was that I had to make sure and manually turn DTS off each time I tested; if I stopped the movie in the middle (before allowing the script to see the end of the .mov file and do it for me), it of course stayed on and when I backed up the play head to look at it again----more flashies!! That of course won't be a problem once the project's finished, since the viewers/users can't stop the project themselves (only pause and continue the Quicktime content). Just something to remember, rather than having it work once and then go back to what it was doing b/c of operator error.....

    I really appreciate your solution. Others have come up with great ideas to work around this problem, but for some reason none of them worked for me. Maybe my machine is just taking a really long time to give control over to Quicktime, I don't know. Although I have tested on several machines and I see the flashing gray screen on them all. Maybe Macromedia will come up with a solution in the next release, given all the people that have trouble with this. I'll cross my fingers.

    Thanks again.