Professional Web Applications Themes

QuickTime frame edits - Mac Programming

I have to assume I'm out-of-date with respect to QT; I haven't touched it in years, except for still images importers & exporters. I need to take an existing movie, draw or perform simple fx on each frame, and then recompress the movie, maintaining the existing settings and key frames, et al (it won't be complex editing, really). The way I would have done this in the past is to do make a GWorld (duh), get the first track in the movie, make a second movie, and then copy the settings of the first into the second (IIRC). Then I ...

  1. #1

    Default QuickTime frame edits

    I have to assume I'm out-of-date with respect to QT; I haven't touched
    it in years, except for still images importers & exporters.

    I need to take an existing movie, draw or perform simple fx on each
    frame, and then recompress the movie, maintaining the existing
    settings and key frames, et al (it won't be complex editing, really).

    The way I would have done this in the past is to do make a GWorld
    (duh), get the first track in the movie, make a second movie, and then
    copy the settings of the first into the second (IIRC). Then I do the
    BeginMediaEdits / AddMediaSample / EndmediaEdits.

    Is there an easier, more straightforward way now (contemporary with
    Jaguar), or is there a recent sample? I'm Carbon / PP, but I'd like to
    take advantage of any improvements (without, hopefully, reading all
    12,000 pages of the dox!) available in newer QT APIs, or in Quartz.

    [Yeah, I looked, but I seem to be having diffficulty looking for APIs
    with the search on the developer site. And I can't download all the
    samples - I'm on the dialup these days!]

    thx to all!
    Mikey Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: QuickTime frame edits

    In article <111020031423474795%com>,
    Mikey <com> wrote:

    Note that you probably are NOT going to get the same keyframes. Once
    you have made changes to a video stream, the compressor may very well
    select other frames to be the keyframes.

    Your basic approach is correct, but you probably want to look at newly
    posted sample code that demonstrates this sort of thing:

    <http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/QuickTime/Goodies/Vide
    oProcessing.htm>

    "This is a demonstration program for processing video (both live and
    stored) using various
    methods within QuickTime. More specifically, this sample demonstrates
    the following techniques:

    - color clamped movie playback
    - alpha overlay movie playback
    - alpha overlay movie conversion
    - motion detect sequence grab
    - alpha overlay sequence grab
    - color clamped sequence grab
    - film-noise effect sequence grab
    - blended sequence grab

    Requirements: Mac OS 10.2, Project Builder version 2.0.1, or MetroWerks
    CodeWarrior 8.0"
    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    In article <apple.com>, Tom Dowdy
    <com> wrote:

    > Note that you probably are NOT going to get the same keyframes. Once
    > you have made changes to a video stream, the compressor may very well
    > select other frames to be the keyframes.
    >[/ref]
    Hmm.. This is an issue I'm concerned with. Maybe the key frame
    selection should be better left to the compressor, or perhaps if
    there's a periodic key frame selection, the rate should be retained.
    Not knowing much about authoring (no experience on that end, really),
    this is a sticky area.

    > Your basic approach is correct, but you probably want to look at newly
    > posted sample code that demonstrates this sort of thing:
    >
    > <http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/QuickTime/Goodies/Vide
    > oProcessing.htm>
    >
    > "This is a demonstration program for processing video (both live and
    > stored) using various
    > methods within QuickTime. More specifically, this sample demonstrates
    > the following techniques:
    >
    > - color clamped movie playback
    > - alpha overlay movie playback
    > - alpha overlay movie conversion
    > - motion detect sequence grab
    > - alpha overlay sequence grab
    > - color clamped sequence grab
    > - film-noise effect sequence grab
    > - blended sequence grab
    >
    > Requirements: Mac OS 10.2, Project Builder version 2.0.1, or MetroWerks
    > CodeWarrior 8.0"[/ref]

    Super. Thx tom.
    Mikey Guest

  4. #4

    <com> wrote:

    > Note that you probably are NOT going to get the same keyframes. Once
    > you have made changes to a video stream, the compressor may very well
    > select other frames to be the keyframes.

    >[/ref]

    Thanks Tom I took a good look at the example. This is exactly the kind
    of thing I suspected - that there's a nice organic way of solving the
    problem. Thank you very much.

    [Btw - i was just reviewing my QT SDKs, and saw you in some "welcome to
    the SDK" movies]

    However, by not coming to the "how" myself I invariably have to ask
    "why?" That is, why is the custom component approach superior to any
    others? It certainly makes sense, but I'm curious as to how a way-more
    experienced person sees it.
    Mikey Guest