Professional Web Applications Themes

QuickTime Pro - Mac Applications & Software

Any helpful hint, tip, etc for a curious problem: I've got Final Cut Pro on a G4. When I installed (I believe) version three there were two key numbers on the packing - one for QT Pro; the other for FCP itself. Instructions were to install QuickTime first, then FCP. I tried doing that, but QuickTime refused to co-operate. I installed FCP, expecting trouble, but it worked fine. Well, I thunk, maybe QT Pro is already there... FCP 4 arrived last week with two key numbers as before. This time I just installed the upgrade and all was well. A ...

  1. #1

    Default QuickTime Pro

    Any helpful hint, tip, etc for a curious problem:

    I've got Final Cut Pro on a G4. When I installed (I believe) version
    three there were two key numbers on the packing - one for QT Pro; the
    other for FCP itself. Instructions were to install QuickTime first, then
    FCP.

    I tried doing that, but QuickTime refused to co-operate. I installed
    FCP, expecting trouble, but it worked fine. Well, I thunk, maybe QT Pro
    is already there...

    FCP 4 arrived last week with two key numbers as before. This time I just
    installed the upgrade and all was well.

    A couple of days ago I was shown some of the things that QuickTime Pro
    can do, so I tried again to install it.

    I get as far as the registration window, tell it who I am and offer the
    number from the sticky label and...

    "The registration information you have entered is not valid. Please
    check that 'registered to' and 'registration number' are entered exactly
    as shown on your registration information.'

    I tried all sorts of combinations of upper and lower case, swapped '0'
    and 'O', etc. Still get the refusal message.

    Sent mail to Apple - no reply.

    Er... Ideas?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Ol.

    Ian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: QuickTime Pro

    Ian Oliver:

    Check the version numbers. The QT Pro # that I received with FCP was
    for the previous version (5) of QT Pro, and thus would not upgrade QT 6
    to QT Pro. I know this because it was doented somewhere in my FCP
    install package, and not from trying to use the #, as I already had QT
    Pro 6 installed. If the # that you received is for QT 5, you may be
    able to get Apple to give you a QT 6 #. If it were me, though, I would
    simply shell out the $30 for QT Pro 6, because the time that I guess it
    would take to get anything from Apple would cost me more than $30.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  3. #3

    Davoud wrote:

    If it were me, though, I would

    I think you're right. That would save a lot of aggravation. Thanks very
    much.

    Ol.

    Ian Guest

  4. #4

    In article <binbeu$bf8$singnet.com.sg>,
    Ian Oliver <com.sg> wrote:

    > I think you're right. That would save a lot of aggravation. Thanks very
    > much.
    >
    > Ol.
    >[/ref]

    Speaking of Apple, aggravation, and QuickTime Pro, can either of you (or
    anyone else) recommend or suggest where to purchase a *complete,
    definitive, well-written, up-to-date, well-indexed, printed* manual or
    book on all of QuickTime Pro's capabilities?

    (You know, like the manuals that used to come along with the purchse of
    well-done computer software .)
    AES/newspost Guest

  5. #5

    Only enter your last name, and enter it in ALL-CAPS.

    QT 5.x keys are supposed to work for QT 6.x, I think (QT 3.x worked for 4.x).
    Ben Guest

  6. #6

    Ben Sharvy <com> wrote:

    Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The registration name is linked to the
    key, so if you entered the name "Mr John Doe Jr" when buying a key, then
    that's what you have to enter. And the name is not case-sensitive (in v6
    anyway).

    Unfortunately, policy has changed since the v4 days, so v5 keys are not
    valid for v6.

    Regards,
    Tom

    --

    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention"
    -- Michael Rothschild, 1993

  7. #7

    Davoud eschewed 8/29/03 9:24 PM:

    > *****
    >
    > Er, ah, Amazon.com? A search of "books" with the keyword "quicktime"
    > turns up 46 titles. Surely one of them will be what you are looking
    > for.
    >
    > If not, you could try <http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tools_tips/> or
    > <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/quicktime/quicktime.html>.
    >
    > Davoud[/ref]
    And don't forget BORDERS BOOKSTORES..also stop in
    to their cafe´for some spectacular java(non-digital ; )
    Cheers!

    King Guest