Professional Web Applications Themes

Quiet DSLR? - Photography

I was out and about shooting 'candid' photos and got to thinking abou the D70 I was using - why is it so noisy when taking a shot? I understand when the lense motor kicks in that there is noise, bu taking the photo should be mostly electronic. It would be handy to hav a quiet or silent camera in some situations - are there any DSLRs ou there that people have which are like this? Thanks -- greeny...

  1. #1

    Default Quiet DSLR?

    --
    greeny
    greeny Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Quiet DSLR?

    Most of the noise a DSLR makes is the mirror swinging up. This is why
    some people liked the range-finder cameras, no mirror to swing so a lot
    less noise.

    A non-DSLR digital will be almost silent since there is no mirror in
    it, and the shutter is very quite compard to the mirror.

    Scott

    Scott Guest

  3. #3

    greeny wrote:

    I've read that the Olympus E-1 is remarkably quiet.

    Clyde
    Clyde Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:37:57 +0000, greeny
    <photobanter.com> wrote:

    I presume you have turned off the stupid sound effect focus-lock beep
    thingy?

    (Custom menu setting 01)

    I find the D70 much quieter than the equivalent film camera - N80 due
    to the lack of motorized film winding. And I don't miss the
    end-of-film rewind whine either.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  5. #5

    greeny <photobanter.com> writes:

    Most of the things that make noise on a film SLR work exactly the same
    on a DSLR: The mirror has to flip up, and then back down, and the
    shutter has to open and close. That's where most of the noise comes
    from. Not much to be done about it really.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Guest

  6. #6

    greeny wrote:

    The only situation that the mirror noise might be objectionable is
    during concert performance. As for candid pictures, people already are
    seeing your big camera before they even notice the sound, if any. As
    someone mentioned that before, the noise seems to be loud because the
    camera is just inches from your eyes. Normally, people won't notice it.
    leo Guest

  7. #7

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    Scott W <com> wrote:

    Agreed. Up and back, actually.

    And if you want gratuitous noise for comparison -- consider the
    NC2000e/c made by Kodak around the Nikon N90s body for the AP. Not only
    do you have the mirror noises, but it even insists on advancing the
    (non-existent) film to the next frame, while the image is actually being
    stored in a PCMCIA disk drive in the sub-base.

    I wonder whether Cannon will bring out a digital version of the
    Pellex? That one used a partially silvered mirror, and most of the
    light went on through the mirror to expose the film. (Not all, as some
    had to be deflected up to the focusing screen -- and even so. there was
    less light for low-light-level focusing as well.)

    When did Cannon discontinue the Pellex?

    Hmm ... one built on the Pellex principle could even allocate a
    lower-resolution image sensor for focusing, and allow display on the LCD
    screen during focusing -- which would be nice for some types of
    photography.

    And if it is a leaf shutter, even more so than a focal-plane
    shutter. Of course, this makes interchangeable lenses more difficult.
    Not impossible, but still more difficult.

    It *could* be set up with a Pockel(sp?)-cell shutter, so you
    would have no moving parts involved at all, thus it would be very quiet.
    But it would be far from the through-the-lens immediacy of a SLR, so
    many of us would not like it.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  8. #8

    In article <cvvvt9$7vh$d-and-d.com>,
    DoN. Nichols <com> wrote:

    Canon have used that idea far more recently that the Pellex; the EOS-1n RS
    had a pellicle mirror, with about 1/3 of the light going to the viewfinder,
    and 2/3 passing through to the film plane. This allowed the camera to have
    an amazing 10 frames/second continuous shooting mode.

    Nowadays Canon have managed to get that same frame rate in the EOS-1v,
    even with a moving mirror.

    The astro-photography-modified Canon EOS 20Da allows live LCD display.

    John Guest

  9. #9

    2005-02-28, John Francis wrote:

    IIRC, the Nikon F3HS got to 13,5 fr/s with a moving mirror (1998?)

    -peter

    Peter Guest

  10. #10

    Owamanga <com> wrote in

    An - out of flash memory space - whine would be cool :)

    /Roland
    Roland Guest

  11. #11

    "Roland Karlsson" <com> wrote in message

    > An - out of flash memory space - whine would be cool :)
    >

    > /Roland[/ref]

    THANKS. Now I assume it won't be long before we have downloadable
    camera-function tones to add to our DSLRs. Just $2.99 a tone like our
    cell phones.

    George

    George Guest

  12. #12

    "John Francis" <com> wrote in message

    > Canon have used that idea far more recently that the Pellex; the EOS-1n RS
    > had a pellicle mirror, with about 1/3 of the light going to the[/ref]
    viewfinder,
    have

    > The astro-photography-modified Canon EOS 20Da allows live LCD display.
    >[/ref]
    But not with a Pellix system. The Cano webpage describes in Googlish the
    live-view as;

    " With the EOS 20Da you kept in a state where the mirror is lifted, live
    image of the image pickup element the enlargement color it can be indicated
    to the liquid crystal monitor loaded " live view mode ". Because of this,
    with just the finder it is possible to do the focus adjusting with the
    manual whose fine control is difficult more accurately.

    Indication of the liquid crystal monitor are 2 types of enlargement ratio 5
    time and 10 times, adjusts to photographing cirstance and it is possible
    to choose"

    So in English that says when the mirror rises and while it remains raised. A
    magnified "live-view" at 5X or 10X is possible. This allows tweaking the
    focus during exposure. So I suppose live-preview is possible but at 1/1000
    sec it may not be very useful.

    Darrell Guest

  13. #13

    greeny wrote:

    It would have been nice if Canon had done the 10D/20D/300D/350D with the same
    shutter mirror mechanics as the Elan 7. One of the quietest SLR's that exist.

    Cheers,
    Alan
    Alan Guest

  14. #14

    In article <photobanter.com>, greeny
    <photobanter.com> wrote:

    Jeez! A DSLR is extremely quiet compared to the average 35mm and
    especially medium format.
    Randall Guest

  15. #15

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    Depends on the medium format, a rolleiflex and folders etc are basically
    silent.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  16. #16

    In article <net>, Stacey
    <com> wrote:

    Do you enjoy taking pictures with a shoebox?

    Back when I used a Pentax 6x7, everybody's head would turn when you'd
    press the button. Hasselblads were pretty quiet in comparison.

    I remember back when I was in college and I was in a boardroom taking
    pictures of the governor. My Pentax Spotmatic was pretty loud compared
    to the newspaper guy's Leica.
    Randall Guest

  17. #17

    "Randall Ainsworth" <techline.com> wrote in message

    > Do you enjoy taking pictures with a shoebox?
    >[/ref]
    If the shoebox had the Zeiss 80mm f:2.8 Planar, I would! The camera is just
    a dark box to hold film (or a sensor)

    Darrell Guest

  18. #18

    greeny <photobanter.com> wrote:

    I know the Oly E-1 is rather impopular here for various reasons, but it
    IS quiet. I don't have figures and measurements, but it is a hell of a
    lot quieter than the Pentax *istDS and quite a bit less noisy than the
    Nikon D2H. Both the Pentax and the Nikon also have a rather "metallic"
    sound, while that produced by the Oly is more "silky". A German magazine
    tester called it "the Leica of digital" in this respect.

    Ton
    Ton Guest

  19. #19

    Clyde <comedy> wrote:

    > I've read that the Olympus E-1 is remarkably quiet.[/ref]

    Confirmed. As I've stated in another posting, my E-1 is markedly quiter
    than both the *istDS and the D2H (the only two dSLRs I'm familiar with).

    Ton
    Ton Guest

  20. #20

    David Dyer-Bennet <net> wrote:

    How then can we explain the immense differences in sound (both volume
    and character) between models from different makers?

    Ton
    Ton Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast