Professional Web Applications Themes

Quota Questions 5.3 Release - FreeBSD

Hi, ~ Theres a high probablility this is a stupid question, but I must ask it.... Heres the situation: I am leasing a server from a relatively well known ISP in the DC area... It is installed w/ FreeBSD 5.3 Release (Generic) These geniuses gave me the box without the ports tree or the kernel sources... This wouldnt be a problem, except that, among other things, they didnt compile in the quota support. I desperately need it. Questions: 1. Is there a kernel module to implement quota support (I have googled incessantly trying to find it w/o much luck) 2. ...

  1. #1

    Default Quota Questions 5.3 Release

    Hi,

    ~ Theres a high probablility this is a stupid question, but I
    must ask it....

    Heres the situation: I am leasing a server from a relatively well
    known ISP in the DC area... It is installed w/ FreeBSD 5.3 Release
    (Generic)

    These geniuses gave me the box without the ports tree or the kernel
    sources... This wouldnt be a problem, except that, among other
    things, they didnt compile in the quota support. I desperately need it.

    Questions:

    1. Is there a kernel module to implement quota support (I have googled
    incessantly trying to find it w/o much luck)

    2. Is there a trivial way to get the kernel sources and ports tree
    (and more importantly, how safe (in terms of the box coming back) is
    it to recompile the kernel if I can get the sources) - they pretty
    much killed about 50% of my reason for getting FBSD by leaving out the
    ports WTF??.

    3. Finally, out of curiousity, does anyone know why quota support is
    left our of the stock FreeBSD Kernel, I am assuming there must be a
    compelling reason for this... and are there any alternatives (short of
    me writing lots of ugly code - which I have lacking time and
    motivation for)

    --
    .................................................. ......
    Jon Adams - [email]jonaadamsnsu.nova.edu[/email] / [email]jkadamscomputer.org[/email]

    Jon Adams Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Quota Questions 5.3 Release

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:57:20 -0500, Jon Adams <jonaadamnsu.nova.edu> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > ~ Theres a high probablility this is a stupid question, but I
    > must ask it....
    >
    > Heres the situation: I am leasing a server from a relatively well
    > known ISP in the DC area... It is installed w/ FreeBSD 5.3 Release
    > (Generic)
    >
    > These geniuses gave me the box without the ports tree or the kernel
    > sources... This wouldnt be a problem, except that, among other
    > things, they didnt compile in the quota support. I desperately need it.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. Is there a kernel module to implement quota support (I have googled
    > incessantly trying to find it w/o much luck)
    Take a look at this section of the handbook
    [url]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/quotas.html[/url]

    > 2. Is there a trivial way to get the kernel sources and ports tree
    > (and more importantly, how safe (in terms of the box coming back) is
    > it to recompile the kernel if I can get the sources) - they pretty
    > much killed about 50% of my reason for getting FBSD by leaving out the
    > ports WTF??.
    I would use sysinstall to install the ports tree. if your not
    familiar with it type man sysinstall

    > 3. Finally, out of curiousity, does anyone know why quota support is
    > left our of the stock FreeBSD Kernel, I am assuming there must be a
    > compelling reason for this... and are there any alternatives (short of
    > me writing lots of ugly code - which I have lacking time and
    > motivation for)
    Its not left out its just not an standard option. Compiling a kernel
    is not a difficult task. It sounds more difficult than it really is.

    > --
    > .................................................. .....
    > Jon Adams - [email]jonaadamsnsu.nova.edu[/email] / [email]jkadamscomputer.org[/email]
    > Graduate Student, SCIS, Nova Southeastern University
    > [url]http://www.scis.nova.edu/~jonaadam/[/url]
    > "Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu
    > (202) 494-2469 .:cell:.

    Benjamin Dover Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:57:20 -0500
    Jon Adams <jonaadamnsu.nova.edu> wrote:

    <snip>
    > 2. Is there a trivial way to get the kernel sources and ports tree
    > (and more importantly, how safe (in terms of the box coming back) is
    > it to recompile the kernel if I can get the sources) - they pretty
    > much killed about 50% of my reason for getting FBSD by leaving out the
    > ports WTF??.
    "/stand/sysinstall" is your friend. I just got done doing the same thing
    on three remote 1U Dell machines without any problems. The first time I
    recompiled the kernel was to get smp support for the Xeon with
    hyperthreading and the second time was to enable quota support.

    Here are the two urls that helped me with ports and compiling the
    kernel. As long as you are careful to follow the instructions for
    compiling the kernel, you should not have any problems.

    [url]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html[/url]

    Sorry I don't have the answers to any of your other questions.

    HTH,
    Jacob
    Jacob S Guest

  4. #4

    Benjamin Dover wrote:
    >Take a look at this section of the handbook
    >[url]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/quotas.html[/url]

    Yes, I've read this and am aware of the process of recompiling the
    kernel to implement quotas (done it before).
    What I am looking for is an alternative to recompiling the kernel due to
    the cripppled box I have.
    >Its not left out its just not an standard option. Compiling a kernel
    >is not a difficult task. It sounds more difficult than it really is.

    I agree... I have FreeBSD 5.3 and a 5.1 box I have lazily not yet
    updated on a pair of poweredges in my apt,
    I rebuilt the 5.3 kernel a couple of time when I was experimenting with
    trying to install Oracle 8i on it (before giving up in frustration due
    to the Oracle make files exiting emulation)

    Thanks for the tip on sysinstall... D'oh
    Jon Adams Guest

  5. #5

    On Feb 15, 2005, at 3:28 PM, Jon Adams wrote:
    > Benjamin Dover wrote:
    >
    >> Take a look at this section of the handbook
    >> [url]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/quotas.html[/url]
    >>
    > Yes, I've read this and am aware of the process of recompiling the
    > kernel to implement quotas (done it before). What I am looking for is
    > an alternative to recompiling the kernel due to the cripppled box I
    > have.
    >
    >> Its not left out its just not an standard option. Compiling a kernel
    >> is not a difficult task. It sounds more difficult than it really is.
    >>
    > I agree... I have FreeBSD 5.3 and a 5.1 box I have lazily not yet
    > updated on a pair of poweredges in my apt,
    > I rebuilt the 5.3 kernel a couple of time when I was experimenting
    > with trying to install Oracle 8i on it (before giving up in
    > frustration due to the Oracle make files exiting emulation)
    >
    > Thanks for the tip on sysinstall... D'oh

    I replied to Jon off list but wanted to stick it in here for the
    archives

    You should be able to just install cvsup and then make an appropriate
    cvsupfile. This will get you the sources and ports etc if you do it
    right. One easy thing :-)

    best
    Chad

    Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC Guest