Professional Web Applications Themes

RAID 1 on a single drive? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Dear Experts, I configured my external firewire drive to work and went to partition it with YAST. I noticed that there was an option for RAID. I split the single drive into two partitions, and then made a RAID 1 out of the two of them, and mounted it. It seemed to work. I could copy files to it. But, the sound of the drive never stopped. When I rebooted, I had problems. I had to delete this from /etc/fstab, and turn off the hard drive. Am I missing something? Is it possible to do a RAID 1 on a ...

  1. #1

    Default RAID 1 on a single drive?

    Dear Experts,

    I configured my external firewire drive to work and
    went to partition it with YAST.

    I noticed that there was an option for RAID. I split
    the single drive into two partitions, and then made a
    RAID 1 out of the two of them, and mounted it.

    It seemed to work. I could copy files to it. But,
    the sound of the drive never stopped.

    When I rebooted, I had problems. I had to delete this
    from /etc/fstab, and turn off the hard drive.

    Am I missing something?

    Is it possible to do a RAID 1 on a single disk? Or,
    do I have to use two disks? (I know I should. This
    is just for learning purposes.)

    Thanks
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RAID 1 on a single drive?

    com wrote:

    Yes! a couple more drives.

    --
    Mark
    Twixt hill and high water.

  3. #3

    In comp.os.linux.misc com wrote:

    Doesn't surprise me, since the controller have to double-write
    everything.

    Yes, but it's useless, buy another disk. It's much better.

    Davide
    Davide Guest

  4. #4

    In comp.os.linux.misc com wrote:

    you DO know what RAID 1 is, don't you?
    Mirror. Each partition that's part of a raid 1 is written with identical
    info. So in effect, you've doubled the work the hard drive has to perform
    for no benefit. After all, the whole point of RAID (Redundant Array of
    Inexpensive Disks) is to have the partitions on SEPERATE drives. If one
    fails, plug in a new one, recreate the partitions, rebuild the raid.

    Putting 2 partitions on the same disk under raid 1 serves no purpose other
    than to reduce its life and slow down access.

    spike1@freenet.co.uk Guest

  5. #5

    co.uk wrote:

    > you DO know what RAID 1 is, don't you?
    > Mirror. Each partition that's part of a raid 1 is written with identical
    > info. So in effect, you've doubled the work the hard drive has to perform
    > for no benefit. After all, the whole point of RAID (Redundant Array of
    > Inexpensive Disks) is to have the partitions on SEPERATE drives. If one
    > fails, plug in a new one, recreate the partitions, rebuild the raid.
    >
    > Putting 2 partitions on the same disk under raid 1 serves no purpose other
    > than to reduce its life and slow down access.[/ref]

    You forgot to quote the relevant part of the OP:
    "(I know I should. This
    is just for learning purposes.) "

    -WD

    Will Guest

  6. #6

    In comp.os.linux.setup Will Dormann <com.invalid> wrote:

    Well, now he knows not to.
    :)
    spike1@freenet.co.uk Guest

  7. #7

    <com> wrote in message

    As you've already proven, it is _possible_. But, because you only have one
    set of read/write heads in the drive, the drive will hammer the heads
    between the raid partitions trying (probably in vain) to keep them in synch.

    JW

    Jacob Guest

  8. #8

    co.uk writes:

    > Well, now he knows not to.[/ref]

    It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he was the first person ever to
    test this RAID 1 configuration, and he may well have uncovered a bug
    as a result... whether it would be worth fixing if he did (since he's
    trying to set up a useless configuration) would be for wiser heads
    than me to investigate.
    Southwestern NM Regional Science and Engr Fair: http://www.nmsu.edu/~scifair
    Joe Guest

  9. #9

    In article <co.uk>, co.uk says...

    Darn - and there was me thinking that RAID was where all the ones were
    on one drive and all the zeros were on the other..... <G>

    --

    NightStalker
    NightStalker Guest

  10. #10

    OK, I expected that. Yes, I do know what RAID 1 is.
    Write to both drives completely. Inefficient space
    storage. But supposedly faster than RAID 5. I only
    have one drive to play with, otherwise, I would use two.
    As I mentioned, it is just for learning. (Some people
    are awfully fast on comments and objections.)

    Now, how to do a RAID 1? This disk is using external
    firewire. If I daisy chain another firewire to the first,
    do you think that I will be able to create a RAID 1
    out of the two?

    Also, is there some kind of enclosure that could house
    a number of old cheap IDE hard drives into one unit?
    That way, I could play to my heart's content. Any
    recommended brands or models?

    Thanks

  11. #11

    com wrote:

    You should be able to create one. How things work with devices changing
    from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb would be interesting.

    The Oxsemi 911 and 922 are capable of supporting two IDE drives on a
    device (the 900 can't) - some vendors use this to make a BIG drive, you
    may find one that exposes both drives. How Linux copes with multiple
    LUNs (drives) on a single Firewire node, I'm not sure.

    --
    Paul Black mailto:com
    Oxford Semiconductor Ltd http://www.oxsemi.com

  12. #12

    On Tuesday 04 November 2003 19:48 NightStalker wrote:

    > Darn - and there was me thinking that RAID was where all the ones were
    > on one drive and all the zeros were on the other..... <G>[/ref]

    Now, would you pack up and come over here with a bucket of windex and
    clean my keyboard and monitor off, I plumb lost it.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    A mostly retired old coot

  13. #13

    In article <dwEqb.8231$gnilink.net>, den
    says...

    > Now, would you pack up and come over here with a bucket of windex and
    > clean my keyboard and monitor off, I plumb lost it.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Heheh - glad it made you chuckle :)) Sorry 'bout the spittle on the
    monitor though - you just need to be phlegmatic about that I'm afraid...
    <groan> Sorry - they get worse... <G>

    --

    NightStalker
    NightStalker Guest