Professional Web Applications Themes

Raid and failover - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Dear all, I am now working with Redhat 7.3. I want to implement disk mirroring (raid 1) with my two hard disks. My goal is that the two disks can store identical data and whenever one of the disk fails, the operation will switch to the raid disk, such that my server can run all the time. Can anyone tell me a complete and concise methods for achieving this? I have done my trial, but the result is that I can only synchronize a folder, but cannot boot the raid disk when I purposely removed the master disk to simulate ...

  1. #1

    Default Raid and failover

    Dear all,

    I am now working with Redhat 7.3.

    I want to implement disk mirroring (raid 1) with my two hard disks. My
    goal is that the two disks can store identical data and whenever one
    of the disk fails, the operation will switch to the raid disk, such
    that my server can run all the time. Can anyone tell me a complete and
    concise methods for achieving this? I have done my trial, but the
    result is that I can only synchronize a folder, but cannot boot the
    raid disk when I purposely removed the master disk to simulate a disk
    failure. Hope anyone can help.

    Besides, I would also implement the system over a network, it means
    that instead of attaching two disks to the same computer, two
    different machine should carry out the raid 1 and the two machines are
    connected over a netowrk. The goal is that whenever one of the machine
    fails, the operation will be switched to the other machine without
    affecting the presistent performance.

    I am working urgently with this, I very much hope that can any Linux
    expert and can share with me some of your experience or give me some
    guide. Thanks very much to anyone who helps.

    Ivan
    Ivan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Raid and failover

    com (Ivan) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    Indeed. There are slightly "special" things when booting.

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO.html
    Xyerp Guest

  3. #3

    Ivan:

    In a nutshell, you are trying to kill an elephant with
    a bibi gun. IMHO software RAID has no reason to exist
    in a production environment. If your data and availability
    has any value, spend a couple of extra bucks and get a
    RAID card. I always use the best ones available, made by
    a company that used to be called DPT, which is now part
    of Adaptec. These adapters (I2O technology) used to cost
    multithousand bucks, but Adaptec brought the price tag down
    to the multihundred level. Furthermore, I just read that from
    now on, ALL the Adaptec SCSI cards will include RAID capabilities.

    Set up two identical servers with a RAID card each and mirrored
    disks, and you may do the failover switch by hand, initially.
    Once you are confident with that setup, you are ready for the
    next step: clustering. This is a lot more expensive, and you
    will not not only a cluster-enabled OS but additionally a
    cluster-enable application such as Oracle.

    A higher level option would be to get an external RAID array.
    You cannot expect to have a fault tolerant disk configuration
    with internal disks: if one of the computers is totally dead
    how the heck do you expect its disks to be magically exported
    to the other computer? In this case, you have a triangle:
    2 hosts which identical access to a 3rd. device which is the
    external RAID array. Again, to achieve this you need special
    version of Linux and any database application.

    -Ramon

    Ramon Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Ramon for your answering first.

    Actually if I just have two machines, is it still possible for
    implementing some kind of disk mirroring and fail over safe function.
    My ultimate goal is one machines fail, the other can take over the
    task completely. My idea now is to have the backup machine pinging the
    primary machine constantly, if the ping fail, then the backup machine
    starts itself. It is not the case to require the failed machine to
    send a signal to the backup machine to start it.

    I am not sure whether this is possible and feasible. So can anyone who
    has similar experience can share me a little bit and tell me what
    hardware and software are required to implement my idea. It would be
    best if someone can give me more guidlines on this as I am fairly new
    to Linux and this is my first time to implement such disk mirroring
    function.

    Thanks very much.

    Ivan

    Ivan Guest

  5. #5

    Ivan <com> wrote:

    This is perfectly normal and done all the time. For gawds sake go off
    and read something about it if you really have no idea.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  6. #6

    "Peter T. Breuer" <it.uc3m.es> wrote in message news:<it.uc3m.es>...

    > This is perfectly normal and done all the time. For gawds sake go off
    > and read something about it if you really have no idea.
    >
    > Peter[/ref]

    Given the link already ;)
    Xyerp Guest

  7. #7

    referrence:
    High-Availability File Server with heartbeat
    http://www.samag.com/doents/s=1146/sam0109c/0109c.htm

    Ivan wrote: [/ref]

    hutuworm Guest