Professional Web Applications Themes

raid on emc - Informix

Hi Gurus and Mr.Kagel, This subject discussed many times before : raid 5 versus raid 10 or 01 .. The story is same , the question is same but i am little bit confused .. This is Oracle related , but i am new with oracle , but experienced with informix , thats why i send it here. I am setting up a large datawarehouse on Oracle RAC with Emc disk array. The emc site suggest to use raid 5 , i want to use raid 10 or 01 because of the points that were discussed on this forum . ...

  1. #1

    Default raid on emc

    Hi Gurus and Mr.Kagel,

    This subject discussed many times before : raid 5 versus raid 10 or 01
    ..
    The story is same , the question is same but i am little bit confused
    ..
    This is Oracle related , but i am new with oracle , but experienced
    with informix , thats why i send it here.

    I am setting up a large datawarehouse on Oracle RAC with Emc disk
    array.
    The emc site suggest to use raid 5 , i want to use raid 10 or 01
    because of the points that were discussed on this forum .

    Since the system is datawarehouse and dss type , i will have no write
    .. So if i use raid 5 , i will have no write performance problem.
    (Right?)

    What is the performance benefit of raid 10 against raid 5 ?

    And , the disk crashes problem : If one disk fails , raid 5 is ok , if
    two fail , it is hell. If we think the emc box , do i have to consider
    such a problem ?

    Kind Regards,
    hope
    utkanbir Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: raid on emc

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:12:11 -0400, utkanbir wrote:

    NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5
    > Hi Gurus and Mr.Kagel,
    >
    > This subject discussed many times before : raid 5 versus raid 10 or 01 . The
    > story is same , the question is same but i am little bit confused . This is
    > Oracle related , but i am new with oracle , but experienced with informix ,
    > thats why i send it here.
    >
    > I am setting up a large datawarehouse on Oracle RAC with Emc disk array. The
    > emc site suggest to use raid 5 , i want to use raid 10 or 01 because of the
    > points that were discussed on this forum .
    >
    > Since the system is datawarehouse and dss type , i will have no write
    > . So if i use raid 5 , i will have no write performance problem. (Right?)
    No online writes but what about your dataloads? Can you afford for a dataload
    to take 50% longer than it could?
    > What is the performance benefit of raid 10 against raid 5 ?
    Mostly write performance. There is a slight readtime benefit to any mirrored
    system (RAID1/01/10/6/7) over RAID2/3/4/5 caused by being able to read sectors
    from both sides of the mirror concurrently, but this is rarely important.

    The biggest performance difference is at drive recovery time. A 5 drive RAID5
    array will suffer a performance degradation during rebuilding of as much as 80%
    while a 4 pair RAID10 array will only experience a 20% performance hit (or less
    if the rebuilding pair is not actively being read).
    > And , the disk crashes problem : If one disk fails , raid 5 is ok , if two
    > fail , it is hell. If we think the emc box , do i have to consider such a
    > problem ?
    Only if you like you data and your job.

    Art S. Kagel
    > Kind Regards,
    > hope
    Art S. Kagel Guest

  3. #3

    Mr.Kagel,

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Kind Regards,
    hope

    "Art S. Kagel" <kagelbloomberg.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.09.08.13.16.41.581655.10594bloombe rg.net>...
    > On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:12:11 -0400, utkanbir wrote:
    >
    > NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5 NO RAID5
    >
    > > Hi Gurus and Mr.Kagel,
    > >
    > > This subject discussed many times before : raid 5 versus raid 10 or 01 . The
    > > story is same , the question is same but i am little bit confused . This is
    > > Oracle related , but i am new with oracle , but experienced with informix ,
    > > thats why i send it here.
    > >
    > > I am setting up a large datawarehouse on Oracle RAC with Emc disk array. The
    > > emc site suggest to use raid 5 , i want to use raid 10 or 01 because of the
    > > points that were discussed on this forum .
    > >
    > > Since the system is datawarehouse and dss type , i will have no write
    > > . So if i use raid 5 , i will have no write performance problem. (Right?)
    >
    > No online writes but what about your dataloads? Can you afford for a dataload
    > to take 50% longer than it could?
    >
    > > What is the performance benefit of raid 10 against raid 5 ?
    >
    > Mostly write performance. There is a slight readtime benefit to any mirrored
    > system (RAID1/01/10/6/7) over RAID2/3/4/5 caused by being able to read sectors
    > from both sides of the mirror concurrently, but this is rarely important.
    >
    > The biggest performance difference is at drive recovery time. A 5 drive RAID5
    > array will suffer a performance degradation during rebuilding of as much as 80%
    > while a 4 pair RAID10 array will only experience a 20% performance hit (or less
    > if the rebuilding pair is not actively being read).
    >
    > > And , the disk crashes problem : If one disk fails , raid 5 is ok , if two
    > > fail , it is hell. If we think the emc box , do i have to consider such a
    > > problem ?
    >
    > Only if you like you data and your job.
    >
    > Art S. Kagel
    >
    > > Kind Regards,