Professional Web Applications Themes

Random Images - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'm struggling with adding random images to a Dreamweaver site. I'm fairly new to Dreamweaver and had a lot of problems adding a menu that I imported from Fireworks. Now, I have been trying to find a way to have an image appear randomly on each page when a user visits. While I'm able to do so using a page that ONLY contains the code (JavaScript), I can't get it to work with the template I've finally successfully created with my menu. (I'm sure it must have something to do with the fact that Dreamweaver/Fireworks generated the code for the ...

  1. #1

    Default Random Images

    I'm struggling with adding random images to a Dreamweaver site. I'm fairly new to Dreamweaver and had a lot of problems adding a menu that I imported from Fireworks. Now, I have been trying to find a way to have an image appear randomly on each page when a user visits. While I'm able to do so using a page that ONLY contains the code (JavaScript), I can't get it to work with the template I've finally successfully created with my menu. (I'm sure it must have something to do with the fact that Dreamweaver/Fireworks generated the code for the menu and this is conflicting with my JavaScript. Is there a easy way to add random images or an example that I could look at to figure it out myself. Sorry, but I think my brain is fried from trying to solve this problem without any luck so far.

    sokaman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Random Images

    sokaman:
    > I'm fairly new to Dreamweaver and had a lot of problems adding a menu that
    I imported from Fireworks

    It's not surprising. Now rip it out and replace it with something that will
    work for you and not make you prematurely gray. I have suggestions....

    A menu system should go into a templated page like hot buddah. FW menus do
    not.

    Which DW are you using.

    By the way, if it seems I am annoyed with DW/FW pop-ups, it's because I AM!
    8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "sokaman" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I'm struggling with adding random images to a Dreamweaver site. I'm
    fairly new to Dreamweaver and had a lot of problems adding a menu that I
    imported from Fireworks. Now, I have been trying to find a way to have an
    image appear randomly on each page when a user visits. While I'm able to do
    so using a page that ONLY contains the code (JavaScript), I can't get it to
    work with the template I've finally successfully created with my menu. (I'm
    sure it must have something to do with the fact that Dreamweaver/Fireworks
    generated the code for the menu and this is conflicting with my JavaScript.
    Is there a easy way to add random images or an example that I could look at
    to figure it out myself. Sorry, but I think my brain is fried from trying to
    solve this problem without any luck so far.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Which DW are you using.

    I'm using DW MX Studio

    I think I understand your frustration with pop-up menus! They're a NIGHTMARE! Finally got the menu to work and now this. Ugh!

    sokaman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    "sokaman" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:

    Try advanced random images v4.3.1 from my site, it will work with a
    template or library item (although won't work in preview) and will do
    exactly what you want.

    I'll try it again - I first saw your extension mentioned on this site and then again in "50 Fast Dreamweaver MX Techniques" - haven't been able to get it to work so far.

    sokaman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]

    or

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]

    Ease your pain. These go right the first time.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  6. #6

    I've used it on more than one site. Works great.

    > "sokaman" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    >
    > Try advanced random images v4.3.1 from my site, it will work with a
    > template or library item (although won't work in preview) and will do
    > exactly what you want.
    >

    > I'll try it again - I first saw your extension mentioned on this site and
    then again in "50 Fast Dreamweaver MX Techniques" - haven't been able to get
    it to work so far.

    Les Matthews Guest

  7. #7

    "sokaman" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:

    Try advanced random images v4.3.1 from my site, it will work with a
    template or library item (although won't work in preview) and will do
    exactly what you want.
    --
    ================
    Paul Davis

    Thanks Paul,

    I tried it at home last night (put on a "dummy site" that didn't have any pop-up menus, and it worked great. The problem with the site I'm doing here at work is that I can't get it to work with the Fireworks created pop-up menu (my guess is that the Fireworks menu is the problem). I'm going to try other ways today.

    Jeff

    sokaman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]

    or

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]

    Ease your pain. These go right the first time.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    Thanks! I'll try them right now - looked useful!

    Jeff

    sokaman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    I am looking for an extension or javascript code or actually the easiest way to
    import 7-8 photos, same size, etc. into Dreamweaver 8, create a table and have
    the images randomly load in the same spot. I don't want to use a mouseover,
    but if refresh my browser four times, I would like a different image to appear
    each time. I'm using Dreamweaver 8 and Fireworks MX.

    Any help is always appreciated.

    Thanks, Mary

    MG41 Guest

  10. #10

    Hi,

    I am loading images into flash from a mysql database using php, can you code it so that a random image is selected from a table when you press a button in flash?

    thanks

    Gavin
    thahip Guest

  11. #11

    You can have Flash do it or a PHP script do the random selection.

    For Flash to do it, you need to initially provide all the image url values to
    Flash, store them in an array and use the code example at
    [url]http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/8/main/00002382.html[/url] to select between 0
    and the Array.length-1 value.

    For PHP to do it, Flash simply requests a PHP script that uses PHP random
    functionality such as [url]http://us2.php.net/srand[/url] to return the image URL.

    MotionMaker Guest