Professional Web Applications Themes

Random power down with Powermac G4 (dual 450MHz gigabit) - Mac Applications & Software

My Power Macintosh G4 (gigabit model with dual 450MHz CPUs has started to exhibit strange behaviour. It just shuts down with no warning as if the power cord has been pulled out. I'm not sure what the problem could be but I have a feeling it is going to be expensive to fix. Anyone heard of anything like this? Any advice? I've opened the case and have a fan ing across the motherboard and CPUs in case they are overheating but it doesn't seem to help. Temperature Monitor says my CPUs are running at 20 degrees celcius which doesn't some ...

  1. #1

    Default Random power down with Powermac G4 (dual 450MHz gigabit)

    My Power Macintosh G4 (gigabit model with dual 450MHz CPUs has
    started to exhibit strange behaviour. It just shuts down with no warning
    as if the power cord has been pulled out. I'm not sure what the problem
    could be but I have a feeling it is going to be expensive to fix.

    Anyone heard of anything like this? Any advice? I've opened the
    case and have a fan ing across the motherboard and CPUs in case they
    are overheating but it doesn't seem to help. Temperature Monitor says my
    CPUs are running at 20 degrees celcius which doesn't some high to me.

    Any and all help would be appreciated.

    --
    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com>
    Yes, my name is Bjorn and no, I don't work at Ikea.

    Bjorn Nitmo Guest

  2. #2

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:19:54 GMT, Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com>
    wrote:
    > My Power Macintosh G4 (gigabit model with dual 450MHz CPUs has
    >started to exhibit strange behaviour. It just shuts down with no warning
    >as if the power cord has been pulled out. I'm not sure what the problem
    >could be but I have a feeling it is going to be expensive to fix.
    >
    > Anyone heard of anything like this? Any advice? I've opened the
    >case and have a fan ing across the motherboard and CPUs in case they
    >are overheating but it doesn't seem to help. Temperature Monitor says my
    >CPUs are running at 20 degrees celcius which doesn't some high to me.
    >
    > Any and all help would be appreciated.
    What OS? :)
    foo Guest

  3. #3

    try resetting the PMU (power management unit)

    usually a small button near the battery
    unplug the machine, push the button.
    close the cover, restart

    good luck

    foo wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:19:54 GMT, Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> My Power Macintosh G4 (gigabit model with dual 450MHz CPUs has
    >>started to exhibit strange behaviour. It just shuts down with no warning
    >>as if the power cord has been pulled out. I'm not sure what the problem
    >>could be but I have a feeling it is going to be expensive to fix.
    >>
    >> Anyone heard of anything like this? Any advice? I've opened the
    >>case and have a fan ing across the motherboard and CPUs in case they
    >>are overheating but it doesn't seem to help. Temperature Monitor says my
    >>CPUs are running at 20 degrees celcius which doesn't some high to me.
    >>
    >> Any and all help would be appreciated.
    >

    > What OS? :)
    Fetch, Rover, Fetch Guest

  4. #4

    I don't know about desktop Macs, but with any system shutting down for
    no apparent reason I would check to make sure ALL fans are working and
    STAY working (i.e. you're looking for a bad bearing that might be
    seizing up after some amount of run time), especially the fan inside the
    power supply (I assume there actually is one in there).

    Also check all mate-n-lok power connectors for improper fit, including
    the possibility of pins backing out of their host (nylon) carriers.
    I've seen that a few times. Reseating every power connector wouldn't
    hurt; make sure the internal pins actually mate rather than just touch.

    QH

    Quarter Horseman Guest

  5. #5

    Fetch, Rover, Fetch wrote:
    > try resetting the PMU (power management unit)
    Zapped the pram, reset the PMU, sacraficed a chicken, all to no
    avail. I must get this dealt with. If I wanted a computer that crashed for
    no reason, I would run Windows. (Yeah, cheap shot, I know.)

  6. #6

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Neill Massello wrote:
    > Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    >
    > > My Power Macintosh G4 (gigabit model with dual 450MHz CPUs has
    > > started to exhibit strange behaviour. It just shuts down with no warning
    > > as if the power cord has been pulled out. I'm not sure what the problem
    > > could be but I have a feeling it is going to be expensive to fix.
    > >
    > > Anyone heard of anything like this? Any advice? I've opened the
    > > case and have a fan ing across the motherboard and CPUs in case they
    > > are overheating but it doesn't seem to help. Temperature Monitor says my
    > > CPUs are running at 20 degrees celcius which doesn't some high to me.
    > >
    > > Any and all help would be appreciated.
    >
    > To eliminate the possibility that this is being caused by intermittent
    > glitches on your AC power line, are you using a UPS (Uninterruptible
    > Power Supply)?

    Or dodgy cables, plugs which have worked themselves loose etc...

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung Guest

  7. #7

    In article <slrnbg8o91.mie.bjornmaul.deepsky.com>,
    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    > Neill Massello wrote:
    >
    > > To eliminate the possibility that this is being caused by intermittent
    > > glitches on your AC power line, are you using a UPS (Uninterruptible
    > > Power Supply)?
    >
    > Yep. It's not the availability of power.
    I had similar, random shutdowns when my UPS battery gave out after
    seven years of good service. A new UPS solved the problem.

    jim
    James Jaeger Guest