Professional Web Applications Themes

Rangefinders.... - Photography

Looking for very sharp and very quiet rangefinders. Canonet? What models? What other brands? Experiences and recommendations? Bill Tallman...

  1. #1

    Default Rangefinders....

    Looking for very sharp and very quiet rangefinders.

    Canonet? What models? What other brands?

    Experiences and recommendations?

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rangefinders....

    Ive had a gang of 'em. Most are junk. But I have a Ricoh 500G/Sears 34RF that's
    a gem. It's not a pocket camera but it is very compact, all manual, has a real
    working rangefinder and an accurate.meter.And it doesn't have that stupid DX
    coding. And the pictures are excellent. On ebay they're usually $20-$30.
    Bob Hickey
    Hickster0711 Guest

  3. #3

    Nikon 28Ti or 35Ti. The 28 seems to be the rarer and more desirable and
    obviously more expensive. Search through eBay as they appear there regularly
    and can be had for a fairly low price. Do a Google search and read a few
    write ups.

    mini
    "William D. Tallman" <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote in message
    > Looking for very sharp and very quiet rangefinders.
    >
    > Canonet? What models? What other brands?
    >
    > Experiences and recommendations?
    >
    > Bill Tallman

    SwashBuckle Guest

  4. #4

    Gotta throw in a plug for the Yashica GSN.. dirt cheap on Ebay, easy to repair,
    excellent automatic exposure system and
    very good 45mm F1.7 lens...battery substitution is not a problem.
    I just picked one up at a thrift store for $8.
    ROBMURR Guest

  5. #5

    ROBMURR <robmurraol.com> wrote:
    : Gotta throw in a plug for the Yashica GSN.. dirt cheap on Ebay, easy to repair,
    : excellent automatic exposure system and
    : very good 45mm F1.7 lens...battery substitution is not a problem.
    : I just picked one up at a thrift store for $8.

    They're good cameras. I have a couple of them and would be very upset if
    anything happened to them.

    -------------------
    [email]fwpdeepthought.com[/email]
    Frank Pittel Guest

  6. #6

    William D. Tallman wrote:
    > Looking for very sharp and very quiet rangefinders.
    >
    > Canonet? What models? What other brands?
    >
    > Experiences and recommendations?
    >
    > Bill Tallman
    Thanks all.

    The Canon G2 digital was supposed to do this sort of duty, but I finally
    have concluded it simply is not responsive enough. It does great flower
    shots, and I do a lot of those..... street shooter it ain't..... <sigh>

    Gawd, here I am with an entirely new genre of camera to explore!!! Yep,
    this is fun!!

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  7. #7

    William D. Tallman wrote:
    > William D. Tallman wrote:
    >
    >> Looking for very sharp and very quiet rangefinders.
    >>
    >> Canonet? What models? What other brands?
    >>
    >> Experiences and recommendations?
    >>
    >> Bill Tallman
    >
    > Thanks all.
    >
    > The Canon G2 digital was supposed to do this sort of duty, but I finally
    > have concluded it simply is not responsive enough. It does great flower
    > shots, and I do a lot of those..... street shooter it ain't..... <sigh>
    >
    > Gawd, here I am with an entirely new genre of camera to explore!!! Yep,
    > this is fun!!
    >
    > Bill Tallman
    ........ anyway, so I headed down to the local camera store with some film
    to process and told the guy I was looking for a rangefinder. Most of the
    stuff looked useless (plastic and ugly..) but I spotted a Minolta Hi-Matic
    on the back shelf. It had a Rokkor 45mm f1.8 lens, and underneath all the
    dust looked almost new.. no dings or scuffs. Had a case and there was one
    of those Honeywell folding flash guns attached with a bulb in place.
    'Course, we fooled around and fired the thing... batteries were just
    fine!!

    He wanted $40 for the lot. Then he started checking it out, and decided the
    meter was non-op. Price went down to $30, and I bought it... <grin>

    Got outside and started to play with all the settings to see what worked and
    what didn't. Found that the meter film speed switch under the lens mount
    was turned off. Meter works fine! Running a roll of film through it...
    shutter trip is really stiff and the shutter fires at the very bottom of
    the buttons' travel.

    Well, we'll see what a few afternoons on the streets with some Tri-X turns
    up. And why do I have this feeling this is the first of more than a few of
    these things I'm going to acquire....

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  8. #8

    In article <vgvdsgp2tb674fcorp.supernews.com>, William D. Tallman
    <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote:
    > Looking for very sharp and very quiet rangefinders.
    >
    > Canonet? What models? What other brands?
    >
    > Experiences and recommendations?
    >
    > Bill Tallman

    The Canonet is extremely quiet. I just sent mine out for a CLA to
    augment my Hexar RF. The Hexar is quiet but not as quiet as a Leica.

    HFL

    --
    Harry F. Lockwood

    (Remove HOLE for e-mail reply)
    Harry F. Lockwood Guest

  9. #9

    Chris Quayle wrote:
    > "William D. Tallman" wrote:
    >>
    >> Looking for very sharp and very quiet rangefinders.
    >>
    >> Canonet? What models? What other brands?
    >>
    >> Experiences and recommendations?
    >>
    >> Bill Tallman
    >
    > My current favourites are the Petri full frame series with labels like
    > 'colour corrected super'. The models i'm thinking of are fully manual
    > and don't have meters. They come in two flavours, one with an f2.8 lens
    > and one with an f1.9 lens. The f1.9 model has an f1.9/45mm coated
    > Orikkor with very quiet Copal SV shutter, speeds 1-500th + B. Very well
    > built internally, with fully diecast body and not tinny at all.
    >
    > Many of these have a sticky shutter and will need a service, but with
    > Ebay prices as low as $10-20 including case, they are a bit of a sleeper
    > and it won't break the bank even if you end up having to fix it
    > yourself...
    >
    > Chris
    Good lord! I think I may still have one of those I picked up for $10 at a
    flea market. I'll give it another try if I find it again....

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  10. #10

    if you have an extra $5,000 you could get a leica with one lens
    "William D. Tallman" <com> wrote in message

    Bot-tastic Guest

  11. #11

    Bot-tastic wrote:

    >[/ref]

    There are plenty of used Leica rangefinders (with lens) that can be
    purchased for under $1000.

    I would rather have a Contax II or III! ;o)

    George Guest

  12. #12

    In article <ricochet.nethere.net>, George Mann wrote:

    There are plenty of Kiev Contaxes that can be had for a lot less. Many of
    them have sharp lenses. Not as good as a Leica, but still sharp.

    Geoff.

    --
    Geoffrey S. Mendelson com 972-54-608-069
    Do sysadmins count networked sheep?

  13. #13

    "Bot-tastic" <com> wrote in message news:<dNySa.921$uswest.net>... [/ref]

    That will last a lifetime, costing you about $10 a year.
    Michael Guest

  14. #14

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Michael Scarpitti) wrote:
     [/ref]

    You are very optimistic; I have little hope of reaching the age of 500
    years.... :-(

    Lourens
    Lourens Guest

  15. #15

    > if you have an extra $5,000 you could get a leica with one lens [/ref]

    It seems that a used [previously owned?] m6 can be had, in excellent condition,
    for around $1000. A 50mm lens, in good condition, for $300 or so. The shutter
    and rangefinder may need adjustment so figure on a full CLA which will cost
    around $250 to $300. If you keep it a long time, it's probably no more
    expensive than any other mechanical camera.
    John
    MYMACV Guest

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jeremy Guest
    Moderated Post

  17. #17

    In article <CGSSa.14732$prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
    Jeremy <com> wrote:

    >Your argument is certainly valid, but is not 100% perfect. The most
    >negative part of owning and using classic cameras is the eventual inability
    >to obtain parts, service and accessories for them. Granted, Leica has a
    >good track record for long-term parts and service availability, but nothing
    >lasts forever, and the prices that Leica charges for repairs is very high,
    >too.[/ref]

    Although, as you say, nothing lasts forever, if the track record of the
    last 70-odd years is anything to go by, current Leicas may still
    outlast their owners - lots of LTM cameras from the 30s remain in regular
    use, and can still be serviced by independent shops at pretty reasonable
    prices. So I don't see (e.g.) an M6 becoming unserviceable for several
    decades (long enough for John's economic argument to apply). One obvious
    flaw in my argument is the unknown effect that Digital may have on
    interest in classic 35mm cameras. Even collectors (not to mention actual
    users and repair shops!) could begin to lose their enthusiasm if film and
    processing were no longer widely available. On the other hand, how many
    current digital cameras (even in the Leica price bracket) will be
    serviceable in 10 years time..?

    Richard.

    Richard Guest

  18. #18

    I have the rangefinder fetish as well. And am rather an exhibitionist
    about it, so you can read about my RF exploits on my web page:

    My current favorites:
    Canon QL GIII
    Nikon S2
    Yashica GX

    Karen Nakamura
    www.photoethnography.com
    Karen Guest

  19. #19

    Karen Nakamura wrote:

    Yep, visited your site, Karen. Thanks for the reply!

    All three of these are likely more expensive than the Minolta... <grin>

    Question: how easy/difficult is the Nikon's viewfinder/rangefinder to use?
    It looks like it might be somewhat small and not all that bright.

    Bill Tallman

    William Guest

  20. #20

    Actually the Nikon S2's rangefinder is a delight to use. It's 1.00x
    magnification, which means you can keep both eyes open. It's certainly
    better than a Leica III series viewfinder.

    It's not as bright as a Canon P or Canon 7, but those were produced a
    bit afterwards. And of course, the Leica M3 is top of the class but
    only by a bit and only by virtue of the switchable framelines.

    In all, it's very usable. The Nikon is one of my favorite street
    cameras right now.

    Karen Nakamura
    Karen Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast