Professional Web Applications Themes

Raster image export - Macromedia Freehand

Our organization provides services to the legal industry to help present demonstrative evidence in court and arbitration. We have our own software (Exhibitor) which we use to build an Exhibit, Graphic, and Animation database to use during trial to help the jury and or judge view the evidence. We currently use Freehand, Flash, and LightWave to create vector based (editable) images which we then export as PCX, JPEG, and TIFF files to import into Exhibitor. This makes an image which opens quickly, without any font or fill issues. However, we currently export as an .EPS, open in Photoshop, flatten, convert ...

  1. #1

    Default Raster image export

    Our organization provides services to the legal industry to help present
    demonstrative evidence in court and arbitration. We have our own software
    (Exhibitor) which we use to build an Exhibit, Graphic, and Animation database
    to use during trial to help the jury and or judge view the evidence. We
    currently use Freehand, Flash, and LightWave to create vector based (editable)
    images which we then export as PCX, JPEG, and TIFF files to import into
    Exhibitor. This makes an image which opens quickly, without any font or fill
    issues. However, we currently export as an .EPS, open in Photoshop, flatten,
    convert to paletted 8-bit color, and save as a PCX. The files are very small
    and open quickly.

    We are looking for suggestions on other formats to export as - preferably
    vector based final images if possible. Also, we would like to find any export
    filters that may allow us to export to a format not currently supported with
    standard Freehand.

    Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you

    Boxerman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Raster image export

    I don't know if this will help much, but I have luck exporting as PDF for
    various multimedia and print applications. PDFs cross platforms well and are
    usually fairly versatile when used in other editing programs.

    art101 Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, but we can and have used PDF files in the past. Unfortunately when
    loaded into our program they open Acrobat within our software. We are trying to
    get around this, because our software lets us open a graphic (jpeg or PCX)and
    annotate or zoom in on portions to enlarge - this is not an option if we use
    PDFs. Thanks

    Boxerman Guest

  4. #4

    "Unfortunately when loaded into our program they open Acrobat within our
    software."

    Hmmm. I wonder if exporting as QuickTime or QuickTime VR might be an option.
    Based on what I understand of your program and requirements, I really have no
    idea... but since several people on this forum helped me solve an issue that
    was driving me nuts all day, I'm attempting a little heartfelt karmic payback.
    QuickTime VR allows users to zoom in on particular areas of interest within an
    image... and it works pretty much the same on Macs and PCs. More info is
    available at [url]http://www.apple.com/quicktime[/url]

    Best wishes - andy
    art101.com

    art101 Guest

  5. #5

    What about the good old SWF Flash format? Scaleable, zoom to any size.
    There's even a 3D plugin produced by Electric Rain that can import Lightwave
    files (I think) and keeps them as vector objects.

    EPS files can have both vector and rastor information, but can end up being
    rather large in some cases.

    AI and PDF files are virtually interchangeable.

    DXF, DWG and other CAD formats can be very handy at times.

    WMF (if you're working with Windows).

    Personally I would try for importing Flash movies and simply add buttons or
    commands for zooming and panning.

    Mark Guest