Professional Web Applications Themes

[RCR] Include CONFIG::Config['rubydocdir'] in rbconfig.rb - Ruby

Hi folks, I apologise if people have read this RCR and are not interested, but this is what I consider to be an important RCR, not a merely convenient one, and I may have done it a disservice by burying its mention in a previous thread. At any rate, it has not attracted many votes, and no comments, so I'd like to point you to [url]http://www.rubygarden.org/article.php?sid=319[/url] if you are interested in registering an opinion on this. Summary: if Ruby had a standard doentation directory, then installers could install doentation there. A typical Ruby installation does contain doentation in a sensible ...

  1. #1

    Default [RCR] Include CONFIG::Config['rubydocdir'] in rbconfig.rb

    Hi folks,

    I apologise if people have read this RCR and are not interested, but
    this is what I consider to be an important RCR, not a merely
    convenient one, and I may have done it a disservice by burying its
    mention in a previous thread.

    At any rate, it has not attracted many votes, and no comments, so I'd
    like to point you to [url]http://www.rubygarden.org/article.php?sid=319[/url] if
    you are interested in registering an opinion on this.

    installers could install doentation there. A typical Ruby
    installation does contain doentation in a sensible place, but this
    location is not retrievable through the normal Config['xyz']
    mechanism.

    Thanks,
    Gavin

    Gavin Sinclair Guest

  2. #2

    Hi,

    In message "[RCR] Include CONFIG::Config['rubydocdir'] in rbconfig.rb"
    on 03/10/01, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclairsoyabean.com.au> writes:

    |installers could install doentation there. A typical Ruby
    |installation does contain doentation in a sensible place, but this
    |location is not retrievable through the normal Config['xyz']
    |mechanism.

    Currently it does not have one. Where do you think it should be, if
    Ruby should have a standard doentation directory. And how far
    should it cover? Libraries? Applications?

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto Guest

  3. #3

    --NPWyolIJAVLYbHY6

    Yukihiro Matsumoto (matzruby-lang.org) wrote:
    > In message "[RCR] Include CONFIG::Config['rubydocdir'] in rbconfig.rb"
    > on 03/10/01, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclairsoyabean.com.au> writes:
    >=20
    > |installers could install doentation there. A typical Ruby
    > |installation does contain doentation in a sensible place, but this
    > |location is not retrievable through the normal Config['xyz']
    > |mechanism.
    >=20
    > Currently it does not have one. Where do you think it should be, if
    > Ruby should have a standard doentation directory. And how far
    > should it cover? Libraries? Applications?
    On FreeBSD Ruby doentation is stored in /usr/local/share/doc/ruby,
    so if I install ruby, ruby libs, or ruby apps on FreeBSD, that's
    where I expect doentation to end up.

    FWIW, install.rb puts things in the correct place if you have a data/doc
    directory (data maps to /usr/local/share).

    --=20
    Eric Hodel - [email]drbrainsegment7.net[/email] - [url]http://segment7.net[/url]
    All messages signed with fingerprint:
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    --NPWyolIJAVLYbHY6

    --NPWyolIJAVLYbHY6--

    Eric Hodel Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In message "[RCR] Include CONFIG::Config['rubydocdir'] in rbconfig.rb"
    > on 03/10/01, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclairsoyabean.com.au> writes:

    > |installers could install doentation there. A typical Ruby
    > |installation does contain doentation in a sensible place, but this
    > |location is not retrievable through the normal Config['xyz']
    > |mechanism.
    >
    > Currently it does not have one. Where do you think it should be, if
    > Ruby should have a standard doentation directory. And how far
    > should it cover? Libraries? Applications?
    first of all, this idea is fantastic. however, i think it would be made
    better if a standard docentation format was also agreed upon. to me, this
    choice is very simple: html is the only doc format that will easily work on
    mac, windows, and *nix. rdoc is the best of the html doc generators. ergo,
    rdoc wins my vote. personally, i prefer man pages but...

    IMHO, it would be very, very, very, cool if, for example, each package had it's own
    rdoc directory which lived _along_side_ the package in site_ruby

    this would allow, for example, one to do this:

    netscape file:/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/package/rdoc/index.html

    to see the docs for 'package'

    furthermore, rdoc could be generated for docs for ALL of a site_ruby dir,
    allowing one to

    netscape file:/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rdoc

    to see the rdocs for EVERY INSTALLED COMPONENT on your system. this could be
    super cool.

    for all you java developers out there you will see where i am going with this,
    if rubyists could agree on a place and format for docs pages could be
    generated to docent

    a) all the ruby internal classes
    b) all the installed classes on your system (combined)
    c) all the installed classes on your system (individually)

    if you use the pickaxe html page 'Built-in Classes and Methods', as i do, as
    java programmers use the javadoc api pages - you will appreciate where i'm
    going with this. imaging that there was also a 'Site-Ruby Classes and
    Methods' page, and how that would help prgrammers jump into the ruby language.

    my two cents.

    -a
    ====================================
    | Ara Howard
    | NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
    | Information and Technology Services
    | Data Systems Group
    | R/FST 325 Broadway
    | Boulder, CO 80305-3328
    | Email: [email]ara.t.howardnoaa.gov[/email]
    | Phone: 303-497-7238
    | Fax: 303-497-7259
    | The difference between art and science is that science is what we understand
    | well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else.
    | -- Donald Knuth, "Discover"
    | ~ > /bin/sh -c 'for lang in ruby perl; do $lang -e "print \"\x3a\x2d\x29\x0a\""; done'
    ====================================
    Ara.T.Howard Guest

  5. #5

    "Ara.T.Howard" wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > In message "[RCR] Include CONFIG::Config['rubydocdir'] in rbconfig.rb"
    > > on 03/10/01, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclairsoyabean.com.au> writes:

    > > |installers could install doentation there. A typical Ruby
    > > |installation does contain doentation in a sensible place, but this
    > > |location is not retrievable through the normal Config['xyz']
    > > |mechanism.
    > >
    > > Currently it does not have one. Where do you think it should be, if
    > > Ruby should have a standard doentation directory. And how far
    > > should it cover? Libraries? Applications?
    >
    > first of all, this idea is fantastic. however, i think it would be made
    > better if a standard docentation format was also agreed upon.
    Given that the Ruby source contains all of its docs in RD format, and
    that you can generate html, man or rdoc pages (I think) from rd docs,
    why should we settle on html?

    Now, if someone wants to include a massive rdoc index for all the
    builtin stuff, that's fine with me. In any case, let's just settle on
    the directory first. And yes, I already voted on the RCR. :)

    Regards,

    Dan

    Daniel Berger Guest

  6. #6

    On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 03:02 PM, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    > first of all, this idea is fantastic. however, i think it would be
    > made
    > better if a standard docentation format was also agreed upon. to
    > me, this
    > choice is very simple: html is the only doc format that will easily
    > work on
    > mac, windows, and *nix. rdoc is the best of the html doc generators.
    > ergo,
    > rdoc wins my vote. personally, i prefer man pages but...
    I think every package should have rdoc doentation (which can be
    generated upon installation or included in the distribution). I also
    think every command line application (at a minimum) should have man
    pages and useful help and usage output. There are tools to generate man
    pages from other doent formats (although better and easier to use
    tools would be good). The above applies to packages in at least the
    beta stage.
    > [snip]
    I agree completely with all the other stuff you said.

    Regards,

    Mark

    Mark Wilson Guest

  7. #7

    --mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+
    > |installers could install doentation there. A typical Ruby
    > |installation does contain doentation in a sensible place, but this
    > |location is not retrievable through the normal Config['xyz']
    > |mechanism.
    >=20
    > Currently it does not have one. Where do you think it should be, if
    > Ruby should have a standard doentation directory. And how far
    > should it cover? Libraries? Applications?
    The doentation dir should probably only handle libraries. With
    applications, it shouldn't matter what language they are written in, so
    the doentation should go in the same place as any other program
    doentation. You wouldn't have /usr/share/doc/c/gawk/README or
    something like that.

    Libraries are used when people are writing something in the same
    programming language, so it should make sense to put those in something
    like /usr/share/doc/ruby/ruby-gtk2/README.

    So maybe we want Config['libdocs'] or something that shows it is for
    ruby libraries and applications.=20

    --=20
    Zachary P. Landau <kapheinehypa.net>
    GPG: gpg --recv-key 0x24E5AD99 | [url]http://kapheine.hypa.net/kapheine.asc[/url]

    --mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

    --mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--

    Zachary P. Landau Guest

  8. #8

    [snip]
    > The doentation dir should probably only handle libraries.
    In this case of Ruby, I disagree. Given the transparency of Ruby
    source, there's not that much difference between libraries and many
    applications. Many applications have discrete models that are most
    ogous to libraries also.
    > With applications, it shouldn't matter what language they are written
    > in, so
    > the doentation should go in the same place as any other program
    > doentation. You wouldn't have /usr/share/doc/c/gawk/README or
    > something like that.
    This begs the question of where application doentation, regardless
    of language, should go. I would like Unix/Linux/BSD etc. to have a more
    accessible standard for this, for command line apps, beyond man and
    info pages. GUI apps can, of course, have their own help menu item. The
    command line help is usually, properly in my opinion, abbreviated. It
    would be nice, however, to at least know where to find Ruby application
    doentation, even if one has to search for doentation (other than
    man pages) for other command line applications.
    > [snip]
    Regards,

    Mark

    Mark Wilson Guest

  9. #9

    --c8UbHMnQwI7BF+TB

    Ara.T.Howard (ahowardfsl.noaa.gov) wrote:
    > IMHO, it would be very, very, very, cool if, for example, each
    > package had it's own rdoc directory which lived _along_side_ the
    > package in site_ruby
    This mixes libs and doc, which I feel is very, very bad.

    If you want to save space, you have to do extra tedious work to snip out
    the rdoc directories, which is not a problem if you have them sitting
    with the rest of the system docs. Furthermore, it violates principles
    of good design. Nothing else is storing doentation in your lib
    directories, so why should Ruby? lib is for libraries, let's keep it
    that way.

    --=20
    Eric Hodel - [email]drbrainsegment7.net[/email] - [url]http://segment7.net[/url]
    All messages signed with fingerprint:
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    --c8UbHMnQwI7BF+TB

    --c8UbHMnQwI7BF+TB--

    Eric Hodel Guest

  10. #10

    On Thursday, October 2, 2003, 1:17:35 AM, Yukihiro wrote:
    > Hi,
    > In message "[RCR] Include CONFIG::Config['rubydocdir'] in rbconfig.rb"
    > on 03/10/01, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclairsoyabean.com.au> writes:
    > |installers could install doentation there. A typical Ruby
    > |installation does contain doentation in a sensible place, but this
    > |location is not retrievable through the normal Config['xyz']
    > |mechanism.
    > Currently it does not have one. Where do you think it should be, if
    > Ruby should have a standard doentation directory. And how far
    > should it cover? Libraries? Applications?
    My Cygwin setup has these directories:

    /usr/local/doc/ruby/ri-1.8b
    /usr/local/doc/ruby/ruby-1.8.0

    So that covers an application and the language. Other applications
    would be welcome there, e.g.

    /usr/local/doc/ruby/rdict-x.y
    /usr/local/doc/ruby/rcalc-m.n

    And libraries would be a good fit as well:

    /usr/local/doc/ruby/amrita-1.0.1
    /usr/local/doc/ruby/amrita-1.0.1/README etc
    /usr/local/doc/ruby/amrita-1.0.1/rdoc/index.html etc

    As for the standard library, that could perhaps be doented in

    /usr/local/doc/ruby/ruby-1.8.0/lib/...

    Although [url]http://stdlib-doc.rubyforge.org[/url] will be the best place to get
    standard library doentation before too long.

    Gavin

    Gavin Sinclair Guest