Professional Web Applications Themes

Re-encode and send to Flash Media Server? - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

Hi all, I hope this is not a basic question - I'm in a bit of a loop with this. I need to do two things: [num]grab a live video feed from a professional DV camera - the feed would be a standard BNC (composite) video cable + XLR mic cable or similar. I need to take that feed and somehow convert it to feed and broadcast live through Flash Interactive Streaming server (...a reliable hardware solution would be great!)[/num] [num]I will also be receiving Windows Media MMS feeds from our parent company - can I re-encode live and send ...

  1. #1

    Default Re-encode and send to Flash Media Server?

    Hi all,
    I hope this is not a basic question - I'm in a bit of a loop with this.

    I need to do two things:
    [num]grab a live video feed from a professional DV camera - the feed would be
    a standard BNC (composite) video cable + XLR mic cable or similar. I need to
    take that feed and somehow convert it to feed and broadcast live through Flash
    Interactive Streaming server (...a reliable hardware solution would be
    great!)[/num]
    [num]I will also be receiving Windows Media MMS feeds from our parent company
    - can I re-encode live and send through Flash Streaming Server in
    real-time?[/num]

    Also - just in case it makes a difference, the camera is PAL - not NTSC. So
    far I've had no problem running tests with a camera connected directly via
    firewire.

    Thank you for any help you can offer.

    frogmonkey32 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Re-encode and send to Flash Media Server?

    My first message got ed up - so trying again.....

    Hi all, I hope this is not a basic question - I'm in a bit of a loop with this.

    I need to do two things:
    1. grab a live video feed from a professional DV camera - the feed would be a
    standard BNC (composite) video cable + XLR mic cable or similar. I need to take
    that feed and somehow convert it to feed and broadcast live through Flash
    Interactive Streaming server (...a reliable hardware solution would be great!)

    2. I will also be receiving Windows Media MMS feeds from our parent company -

  3. #3

    it seems that you are seeking for consulting. Actually, it's not difficult. Will your company pay??
    tommylwl Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the offer, but I'm doing initial investigations at the moment, and I
    don't have funds to pay for a consultant.

    I was kinda hoping just to be steered in the correct direction - I'm pretty
    good at filling in the details myself.

    frogmonkey32 Guest

  5. #5

    First suggestion is to just use firewire for getting video off camera to an
    encoder. While it may not seem adequate, it is much easier for the encoder to
    handle digital content. Use FME on a pc which will stream directly to FMS.

    As for republishing already existing content I would suggest looking into
    something like on2's Flix Engine which can take media from one format to
    another on the fly. This could pull in the mms content and pipe it out flv to
    FMS. You'll need to hire someone to write the basis code for this but it can
    work.

    anthryan Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for the advice Anthryan.

    I'm steering away from the firewire course at the moment, since we'll need to
    broadcast from live cameras that may not be able to be located close to a
    computer - perhaps roaming around etc... I read somewhere that there is a third
    option - that Flash will permit me to capture not only from USB and Firewire,
    but will also recognise a video capture card. That is what I'm going to try
    next - though I don't know which cards may be compatible at this stage.

    I'll check out the Flix engine - thank you. At the moment I'm re-encoding MMS
    streams using VLC, which is working as a starting point. It's getting it from
    there to Flash Streaming Server that I haven't resolved. The Flix Engine may be
    just what I need...

    frogmonkey32 Guest

  7. #7

    List of capture cards which work with flash media encoder
    http://www.adobe.com/support/doentation/en/flashmediaencoder/FME_DeviceMatrix.pdf

    tinmanfme Guest

  8. #8

    Great - thanks Tin Man (may I call you that?)
    frogmonkey32 Guest

  9. #9

    Why u call him tinman? lol
    FeverDance Guest