Professional Web Applications Themes

Re-Installing OS 9.04 on my G4--I'm ready to take the plunge---Need some hand holding!!!!! - Mac Applications & Software

In article <sytech-1306031852590001ool-44c0a130.dyn.optonline.net>, [email]sytech[/email] (sytech) wrote: > I have pasted my posting of several days ago below to provide context for > this posting. > > I just want to run this by everyone, just so I make sure I'm proceeding > properly: > > First, I will be using an Apple utility called "Drive Setup" to intialize > the HD on my G4. The main reasons that I will be using that is because > it's by Apple and it's also the only utility I've tried that "sees" the > internal HD and gives the message "this disk can ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Re-Installing OS 9.04 on my G4--I'm ready to take the plunge---Need some hand holding!!!!!

> [...]
    [email]sytech[/email] (sytech) wrote:
    > I have pasted my posting of several days ago below to provide context for
    > this posting.
    >
    > I just want to run this by everyone, just so I make sure I'm proceeding
    > properly:
    >
    > First, I will be using an Apple utility called "Drive Setup" to intialize
    > the HD on my G4. The main reasons that I will be using that is because
    > it's by Apple and it's also the only utility I've tried that "sees" the
    > internal HD and gives the message "this disk can be initialized".
    >
    > Then I will be using my OS 9.04 CD to install the System onto the internal
    > HD of my G4. After that I will run Software updater control panel and
    > will get myself to OS 9.1
    >
    > What I want to do after that is to transfer the data on the PowerCenter
    > 166 which I've been using for the last 3 weeks onto the internal HD of my
    > G4 using the filesharing (or whatever it's called) setup via ethernet
    > cable. I'm not sure how to set this up. I did it several years ago but
    > have forgotten.
    >
    > Any advice and comments will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sy
    >

    > Posted June 10, 2003:

    > over the last week.
    >
    > I never did explain what precipitated my questions: About a month ago I
    > was running my 400 Mhz. G4 with 600+ MB of RAM and foolishly did something
    > (software related) which caused my data and applications to disappear.
    > Some of my Apps were quite old like MS-Works 3.0 & Quicken 98 etc..I won't
    > bore you with the particulars but I'd tried Norton Utilities, Disk Warrior
    > and Data Rescue and Symantec Tech support with no results.
    >
    > My brother who is a Systems Engineer and an Electrical Engineer friend of
    > mine both believe that a software quirk (again, it's a long story) caused
    > the directory or VTOC to become corrupted or lost. I'm not about to spend
    > a huge amount for a data recovery service because I was able to recover
    > some critical data and some apps from some backups and am temporarily
    > using an old PowerCenter 166.
    >
    > Anyway, I plan to initialize the HD on my G4 (because all the attempts
    > above have failed) and start from scratch. I have the original 9.04
    > Installation disk and will install that and then go to 9.1 or maybe 9.2
    > (anyone have an opinion on this?)
    >
    > Having read the feedback about whether to "upgrade" to OSX I have decided
    > not to, My old applications I am told, may be problematic even when used
    > in "Classic" mode because someone told me that only the "plain vanilla"
    > Classic is problem free.
    >
    > What I need to know is the following:
    >
    > I have a new LaCie Firewire external HD which I want to use as one of the
    > backups for the G4 HD when I get it up and running and to use as a "boot"
    > disc if I run into problems. My question is suppose I drag (copy) the
    > entire G4 HD to the LaCie Firewire external HD. Will I be able to boot

    Did you ever get answers to your difficulties? If you're still in a bind
    send me a note about your current state of solution and perhaps we can
    get it ironed out.

    I may have copies of some of those ancient apps too. I'm a packrat with
    old hardware and software, though most of that old stuff won't run on
    your G4.

    Oh, and about running old apps in classic, well you don't have to run in
    classic. You can install 9.0.4 on the external drive and select it as
    your startup disk and you can run any apps you want from your older
    collection. There's really no reason not to move to X. Classic can be a
    dog though and I always find it much faster just to reboot into 9 on my
    G3 or G4 when I want to run an older application, which isn't often.

    John
    Yet Another John Guest

  2. #2

  3. #3

    The first thing I'd do after installing 9.04 is download the updaters to
    9.1, 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 from Apple and update it. Another thing you might want
    to consider doing is picking up a PCI ATA/100/133 hard disk controller card
    and running your hard disk off that if it's a ATA/100/133 hard disk. Or
    even replacing your internal hard disk with a bigger/faster modern drive
    with a big cache.

    Moving files around and reinstalling systems is a pain - so you might as
    well do everything you might want to do in the near future right now so you
    don't have to deal with it later.

    Applemac_G4 Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Re-Installing OS 9.04 on my G4--Need some hand holding!!!!!

    Yet Another John <john.sipleSPAMTRAPcomcast.net> wrote:

    > I may have copies of some of those ancient apps too. I'm a packrat with
    > old hardware and software, though most of that old stuff won't run on your
    > G4.
    >
    > Oh, and about running old apps in classic, well you don't have to run in
    > classic. You can install 9.0.4 on the external drive and select it as your
    > startup disk and you can run any apps you want from your older collection.
    > There's really no reason not to move to X. Classic can be a dog though and
    > I always find it much faster just to reboot into 9 on my G3 or G4 when I
    > want to run an older application, which isn't often.
    In my experience installing OS X (esp. the later versions) DOES change
    the OS 9 disk/partition. If he doesn't need OS X then keeping the disk
    purely OS 9 has advantages, its more stable.

    --
    madiba
    madiba Guest

  6. #6