Professional Web Applications Themes

Re-installing OS X on PB G3 (Pismo)? - Mac Applications & Software

My hard drive corrupted. I've fixed the directory using Disk Warrior. DW now says the drive is OK. But it won't boot. Is it true that I can't re-install OS X without initializing the drive? Thanks, Dave PowerBook G3/400; OS X 10.2.6 (and classic 9.2.2 installed)...

  1. #1

    Default Re-installing OS X on PB G3 (Pismo)?

    My hard drive corrupted. I've fixed the directory using Disk Warrior. DW now
    says the drive is OK.

    But it won't boot.

    Is it true that I can't re-install OS X without initializing the drive?

    Thanks,
    Dave

    PowerBook G3/400; OS X 10.2.6 (and classic 9.2.2 installed)

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Re-installing OS X on PB G3 (Pismo)?

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    No, that is not correct. I just re-installed OS X on my machine without
    initializing the drive, actually. You may wish to re-initialize the
    drive before re-installing, and if you have your work backed up, the
    only cost to such a plan would be the extra time. In short, you may do
    it either way.

    later.

    --
    johajohn AT indianahoosiers DOT edu

    Remove the non place-name reply. Indiana is a place-name.
    John Guest

  3. #3

    John Johnson <invalid> wrote:

    > No, that is not correct. I just re-installed OS X on my machine without
    > initializing the drive, actually. You may wish to re-initialize the
    > drive before re-installing, and if you have your work backed up, the
    > only cost to such a plan would be the extra time. In short, you may do
    > it either way.
    > [/ref]
    I tried to reinstall OS X without reformatting with an early 10.1 system
    and it turned into a huge mess. In the end I reformatted. There was
    considerable discussion at the time which invisible files needed to be
    erased before reinstallation. Has Apple cleaned up the act with jaguar?
    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net

  4. #4

    In article <1fzr9z8.1dsa3xyeha1p4N%oink>,
    oink (Paul Fuchs) wrote:

    > > No, that is not correct. I just re-installed OS X on my machine without
    > > initializing the drive, actually. You may wish to re-initialize the
    > > drive before re-installing, and if you have your work backed up, the
    > > only cost to such a plan would be the extra time. In short, you may do
    > > it either way.
    > > [/ref]
    > I tried to reinstall OS X without reformatting with an early 10.1 system
    > and it turned into a huge mess. In the end I reformatted. There was
    > considerable discussion at the time which invisible files needed to be
    > erased before reinstallation. Has Apple cleaned up the act with jaguar?[/ref]

    To be honest I don't know. I re-installed as an attempt to take care of
    a couple of problems that I had been having (suspected corruption of
    system settings), but didn't have the time to do a re-format. My
    original attempt at an archive re-install bombed, and the second
    proceeded as if there were no system on the disk, but an archive is
    present now.

    Nothing seems to be wrong now, and everything went fine afterwards, and
    I'm back up and running, so it worked. Whether it's better or worse, I
    don't really know. For my peace of mind, I'd like to re-format, but I'm
    not going to be in a position to do that for a bit.

    later.

  5. #5

    In article <news.prodigy.com>,
    John Johnson <invalid> wrote:

    the best thing is to keep a clone of your disk current at all times on an
    external firewire drive, using Mike Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner. that way
    when your main drive craps out you can just reformat, copy everything over,
    and be on your way, or even just run your system off the external firewire
    drive for a while.

    you never know whether or not you're gonna be able to reinstall after a
    hard drive failure of some sort. I've learned this the hard way.
    sam Guest

  6. #6

    John Johnson <invalid> wrote:

    > > the best thing is to keep a clone of your disk current at all times on an
    > > external firewire drive, using Mike Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner. that way
    > > when your main drive craps out you can just reformat, copy everything over,
    > > and be on your way, or even just run your system off the external firewire
    > > drive for a while.[/ref]
    >
    > Except that my external drive is less than 1/3 the size of my internal
    > one. I'm aiming to get to the point of having parallel systems, but I've
    > not gotten there quite yet. At the moment, I settle for backing up my
    > data and prefs to the FW drive, which has a bootable system on it.
    >
    > later.[/ref]

    Well, Sam is just talking about backing up your OS X system with your
    external, which hopefully your external is big enough to do.

  7. #7

    In article <1fzty4d.942bop7oqcfkN%oink>,
    oink (Paul Fuchs) wrote:

    > > Except that my external drive is less than 1/3 the size of my internal
    > > one. I'm aiming to get to the point of having parallel systems, but I've
    > > not gotten there quite yet. At the moment, I settle for backing up my
    > > data and prefs to the FW drive, which has a bootable system on it.
    > >
    > > later.[/ref]
    >
    > Well, Sam is just talking about backing up your OS X system with your
    > external, which hopefully your external is big enough to do.[/ref]

    When he spoke about using CCC and "just reformat, copy everything over,
    and be on your way, I thought that he was talking about an identical
    copy of my internal drive (which is where I would like to be,
    backup-wise). Otherwise, I've got the important stuff on the bootable
    external disk.

    My external drive is 6GB, and has an OS X system on it so that's no
    problem. My internal drive shows 11GB used so all my stuff won't fit on
    the external. I could trim it, but (as with other things) I haven't
    gotten there yet.

    I'm actually racing th calendar to get through a bunch of calculus
    before beginning a course in differential equations this fall. That and
    prepping for my own teaching when the semester begins takes priority
    over mucking around in the system. Once I get a positive bank balance,
    I'll spring for a larger external drive.

    later.