Professional Web Applications Themes

Re Looking for more Debian packages - Debian

Hi folks, Thanks for the responses. Those double d commands are marvellous; simple and yet effective. It even produces a positive side-effect; a backup copy of the floppy image in the harddisk. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem; I read through 'dd' with 'man' but is left with the impression that it is only for files copying. Which part indicates that it can do image copy? More about the BIOS. In DOS machine, hardware diagnostics and initialization is done by the BIOS. For instance, if the keyboard or mouse is not plugged in, the diagnostic ...

  1. #1

    Default Re Looking for more Debian packages

    Hi folks,

    Thanks for the responses.

    Those double d commands are marvellous; simple and yet effective. It even
    produces a positive side-effect; a backup copy of the floppy image in the
    harddisk. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem; I read through
    'dd' with 'man' but is left with the impression that it is only for files
    copying. Which part indicates that it can do image copy?

    More about the BIOS. In DOS machine, hardware diagnostics and initialization
    is done by the BIOS. For instance, if the keyboard or mouse is not plugged
    in, the diagnostic will detect this and the system will not proceed beyond
    this point until the error is corrected. If a user wants a set-up without
    keyboard or mouse, he will have to twig the BIOS. Without source code, and
    means to recompile, this is impossible. How does a Linux user overcome this
    problem? Kernel re-configuration?

    Cheers

    Jianan Huang Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Re Looking for more Debian packages

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:36:17PM +0000, Jianan Huang wrote:
    > Those double d commands are marvellous; simple and yet effective. It
    > even produces a positive side-effect; a backup copy of the floppy
    > image in the harddisk. I don't know if I'm the only one with this
    > problem; I read through 'dd' with 'man' but is left with the
    > impression that it is only for files copying. Which part indicates
    > that it can do image copy?
    In Unix, devices are typically presented as files, and you can read from
    them (sort of) just like ordinary files. With this knowledge it's more
    clear that you can treat a floppy disk as a file and just read off all
    the data.

    'info dd' has an example of copying between a disk and a tape.

    Cheers,

    --
    Colin Watson [cjwatsonflatline.org.uk]

    Colin Watson Guest

  3. #3

    Hello

    Jianan Huang (<huangjianan1hotmail.com>) wrote:
    > More about the BIOS. In DOS machine, hardware diagnostics and
    > initialization is done by the BIOS.
    And this is done before the operating system is loaded. Which means that
    it is done by the BIOS, independent of if Linux or DOS is installed on
    the computer.
    > For instance, if the keyboard or
    > mouse is not plugged in, the diagnostic will detect this and the
    > system will not proceed beyond this point until the error is
    > corrected.
    Unless of course set the BIOS to ignore these errors and start anyway.
    > If a user wants a set-up without keyboard or mouse, he will
    > have to twig the BIOS. Without source code, and means to recompile,
    > this is impossible.
    It is not. Most (all?) standard PC BIOSes allow you to change this
    setting. Look you for something like "Halt on erros: all" and see if
    you can change it to "Halt on errors: all but keyboard and mouse".

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

    Andreas Janssen Guest