On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 at 19:58 GMT, Mike L eloquently wrote:
> I had to restore a Redhat 7.0 box from a cpio tape. Now everything I do
> informs me it is a "read-only filesystem". Could someone enlighten me as to
> how this happened and how I can repair it? I have restored RH 6.2 systems in
> this way without encountering this problem....
Does the output of mount say your filesystems are mounted rw or r?
Example:

/dev/hdb3 on / type xfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /boot type xfs (rw)

Note the stuff in parentheses. Seems you might need to remount
the filesystems rw. Something like 'mount -a -o rw' might work.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653 ([url]http://counter.li.org[/url]) | Please remove
Certified: 55% , 31% of which is tard. | '.invalid'