Professional Web Applications Themes

reading XML in IE - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

I am using a Spry data region to read an XML doent. It works fine when opening the page in Firefox..but IE (may it burn eternally) gives an object error, very frustrating any ideas? It's useless if IE won't do the business. Chriss...

  1. #1

    Default reading XML in IE

    I am using a Spry data region to read an XML doent. It works fine when
    opening the page in Firefox..but IE (may it burn eternally) gives an object
    error, very frustrating any ideas? It's useless if IE won't do the business.
    Chriss

    christos88 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: reading XML in IE

    Do you have a url so we can see what your are talking about?

    --
    Dan Smith > adobe community expert
    http://www.dsmith.tv

    "christos88" <com> wrote in message

    dan Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Dan, Thanks for having a look.
    I'm using the latest Dreamweaver to do this and have posted to my site a pared
    down version of what I was trying to do (which still doesn't work in IE)
    The message I'm getting in IE is - Exception caught while loading events.xml:
    [object error]
    The page is at -

    http://members.optusnet.com.au/strummer/XMLtester/XMLtesting.html

    christos88 Guest

  4. #4

    What version of IE? I'm in 6 and I don't see any errors.

    --
    Dan Smith > adobe community expert
    http://www.dsmith.tv

    "christos88" <com> wrote in message

    dan Guest

  5. #5

    Sorry Dan, I should have specified...IE 7....I start with the latest and work back. IE always seems to be a nightmare, but the majority use it so I guess we're stuck with it.
    christos88 Guest

  6. #6

    I came looking for the answer to this question. I could not find an answer.
    Eventually I found it the answer that worked for me, a graphic designer with
    not much experience in xml.

    The following url provided an errata file in PDF format:
    www.peachpit.com/dwcs3cib

    which includes the following addendum to the incomplete instructions in the
    book i was using to learn about spry:

    "If Internet Explorer 7 is your primary browser, you'll nee to take some extra
    steps to view spry dynamic content locally. First, your site must be within the
    local server webroot; be sure your Lessons folder is stored within the
    Inetpub>wwwroot folder. Next, double-click the site name in the files panel to
    open the Site Definition dialogue. Click the Testing Server category; from the
    Access List choose Local/Network. Click Okay to close the Site Definition
    dialogue. Now, when you preview your page with Internet Explorer, your local
    Web server (localhost) serves the page as designed."

    Horray for me! Now i can move on from here and actually get some work done!

    karltonkrill64 Guest

  7. #7

    Many thanks Karltonkrill :)
    christos88 Guest

  8. #8

    ..... Next, double-click the site name in the files panel to open the Site
    Definition dialogue. Click the Testing Server category; from the Access List
    choose Local/Network. Click Okay to close the Site Definition dialogue. Now,
    when you preview your page with Internet Explorer, your local Web server
    (localhost) serves the page as designed.' Sorry, but in your above response,
    which program are you refering to: Dreamweaver? IE7? or some other program. I
    get the same error, but I can't seem to fix it. Thanks.. Mike

    mikewhalen5 Guest

  9. #9

    christos88 writes: "I am using a Spry data region to read an XML doent. It
    works fine when opening the page in Firefox..but IE (may it burn eternally)
    gives an object error, very frustrating any ideas? It's useless if IE won't do
    the business."

    Hi, I've come late to this thread but have just had the same problem and
    couldn't find an answer anywhere: the 'object error' occurred in IE7 whether I
    was using my localhost or my uploaded site but rendered properly in Firefox.
    The solution was to change the xml declaration at the beginning of the xml file
    to read "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>" and not "<?xml version="1.0"
    encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>".

    Worked like a charm, but of course I have no idea what effect this might have
    on other versions of IE (and I REALLY don't want to know :-) )

    Probably a bit too late to help but it may be useful for someone.

    aphraonline Guest