Professional Web Applications Themes

Real-time capture DV to MPEG1/2 (DVD) - Mac Applications & Software

On my Windows PC I use Ulead Media Studio Pro 7.0 for video editing, and Ulead DVD MovieFactory for DVD authoring. iDVD looks to be light-years ahead of Ulead's product in terms of slickness, but there are some features I am missing on my Mac. Media Studio Pro allows software real-time capturing from DV video sources directly to VCD compliant MPEG1 or DVD compliant MPEG2. It requires a decent processor to do it (I get "pretty good, but not perfect" results from my 1.4 GHz Pentium-M laptop), but for quick and simple jobs, it sure beats capturing and encoding. DVD ...

  1. #1

    Default Real-time capture DV to MPEG1/2 (DVD)

    On my Windows PC I use Ulead Media Studio Pro 7.0 for video editing, and
    Ulead DVD MovieFactory for DVD authoring.

    iDVD looks to be light-years ahead of Ulead's product in terms of slickness,
    but there are some features I am missing on my Mac.

    Media Studio Pro allows software real-time capturing from DV video sources
    directly to VCD compliant MPEG1 or DVD compliant MPEG2. It requires a decent
    processor to do it (I get "pretty good, but not perfect" results from my
    1.4 GHz Pentium-M laptop), but for quick and simple jobs, it sure beats
    capturing and encoding.

    DVD MovieFactory has a similar feature that allows you to burn straight to
    DVD. Pop in a blank DVD, hit "play" on your video source, and by the time the
    tape ends, the DVD is finished.

    Can anyone point me to software with similar features on OS X? I see that
    Roxio's Toast has "Plug and Burn" -- but I don't think this is realtime.

    Thanks!

    (P.S. How do you guys convert your shows from VHS tapes to VCD/DVD?)

    Kevin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Real-time capture DV to MPEG1/2 (DVD)

    In article <bmh3h3$g4r$ccs.carleton.ca>, Kevin
    <invalid> wrote:

    Check out Toast 6 Titanium's "Plug and Burn" -- it takes a DV Stream
    and encodes it directly to the format requested (VCD, SVCD, or DVD) and
    burns. It's not quite realtime, but it is close.

    From VHS tapes, I run through a media converter. Mine is an old Sony
    that is no longer manufactured, but you can find current models such as
    Canopus, Hollywood Dazzle, and Formac. Many newer mini-DV and Digital-8
    camcorders have "pass-through" which allows you to use them as the
    og-to-digital bridge.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    In article <141020031026160799%com.invalid>,
    sbt <com.invalid> wrote:

    > From VHS tapes, I run through a media converter. Mine is an old Sony
    > that is no longer manufactured, but you can find current models such as
    > Canopus, Hollywood Dazzle, and Formac. Many newer mini-DV and Digital-8
    > camcorders have "pass-through" which allows you to use them as the
    > og-to-digital bridge.[/ref]

    I use a Digital camcorder for convert-to-DV. We also have an EyeTV
    device that does hardware conversion to MPEG-1 for easy burning to VCD.
    My wife uses it like a TiVo device to record and watch TV on her laptop.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.

  4. #4

    In article <news.rcn.net>,
    Phil Lefebvre <edu> wrote:

    > > From VHS tapes, I run through a media converter. Mine is an old Sony
    > > that is no longer manufactured, but you can find current models such as
    > > Canopus, Hollywood Dazzle, and Formac. Many newer mini-DV and Digital-8
    > > camcorders have "pass-through" which allows you to use them as the
    > > og-to-digital bridge.[/ref]
    >
    > I use a Digital camcorder for convert-to-DV. We also have an EyeTV
    > device that does hardware conversion to MPEG-1 for easy burning to VCD.
    > My wife uses it like a TiVo device to record and watch TV on her laptop.[/ref]

    Good point, Phil. I also have an EyeTV (great unit) and I use it like a
    TIVO, then edit out the commercials and save to VCD. That doesn't help
    for the DVD part of his question, though, so I left it out of my
    answer.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest